Ailing knee sacks Robertson; surgery not likely

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I remember how bad Parcells wanted this guy. Maybe it was a good thing it didn't work out for us.

Ailing knee sacks Robertson; surgery not likely

BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Robertson

Defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, one of the Jets' defensive anchors, visited renowned orthopedist James Andrews yesterday in Birmingham, Ala., to get a second opinion on a problematic knee, the Daily News has learned.
Robertson, the fourth pick in the 2003 draft, has missed several practices in training camp due to discomfort. Until yesterday, the club hadn't acknowledged any sort of knee problem.

Surgery isn't an option, according to Herm Edwards and Robertson's agent.

"It's just something he'll have to deal with his whole career," Edwards said.

Neither Edwards nor the agent, Hadley Engelhard, felt comfortable discussing the club's diagnosis, although Engelhard claimed there is "no structural damage."

It's believed that Robertson, 23, who hasn't missed a game in two seasons, has little or no cartilage in his knee, presumably the result of a previous operation. It is causing a "bone on bone" effect in the joint, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Players have been known to play many years with that type of condition; it often becomes a pain-tolerance issue.

In Robertson's case, it has to be a concern because he is such a valuable player. The Jets traded two first-round picks and gave him $13million in bonuses, expecting him to become a dominant player.

"He worked really hard in the offseason, and he got frustrated because it was bothering him, so I set up an appointment to get a second opinion," Engelhard said. "That's all there is to it."

The Jets' medical staff prescribed rest, Engelhard said.

Robertson came to camp in the best shape of his career, reporting at his required weight of 315 pounds. A year ago, he was fined by the team for being 325, he revealed last week.

"When you're overweight, you can be quick, but you can't be quick all the time," said Robertson, who hopes to be in the 305 to 310 range by opening day. "The weight catches up with you and you start to wear down. I want to be quick every snap, not even think about getting tired."

After a disappointing rookie year, Robertson made significant strides last season, finishing with 60 tackles and 3-1/2 sacks. His development was one of the keys to the overall improvement of the defense.

Robertson, who predicted before last season that he was "ready to go out and dominate," expects more big things.

"I believe last year I did my thing and had a big year," he said. "There's always room for improvement. It's going to be even better."

Originally published on August 10, 2005