Airline question re safety razor

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I might take a trip with no checked bag and just a carry-on. I shave with a simple safety razor, you know the type where you just put one double-edged razor blade in? Does anyone know if I leave the razor blade out of it, and I don't have any razors with me, if I'm good carrying on that safety razor? In other words, there would be no actual razor, just the device that houses the razor. Then I could just buy a pack of plain razors to use while I'm there, and then leave them there when I return.

Will this work or will they flip out and confiscate my razor even with no razor at all inside it? Of course my other option is to check the bag, but I don't like doing that when I'll only be some place for 3 days.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I imagine if you can demonstrate you don't have any actual razors with you it shouldn't be a problem to have just the handle.

Creeper

Reaction score
According to the TSA, you can pack the razor handle in your carryon but you cannot brings blades on the plane. You can bring disposables though if you want to switch for your trip.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
According to the TSA, you can pack the razor handle in your carryon but you cannot brings blades on the plane. You can bring disposables though if you want to switch for your trip.

The thing is, the old-style safety razor looks like it could have a razor in it. It doesn't look like just a handle. It looks like this with no blade in it:

61tkvjDHC5S._SX466_.jpg

I could open it up, if there's any question, I suppose. It opens up and looks like this:

61RbXkc8ncL._AC_SS450_.jpg

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
TSA has had a great search engine since 9/11 where you can see the status of anything.

When in doubt, prepare it like you think they will react.

My example is I have one of those Ipad keyboard folder cases. Not a large electronic laptop or tablet, but if I don't put my Ipad in it, some TSA doof pulls it out of my carry-on at the scanners and says I failed security.

Creeper

Reaction score
The thing is, the old-style safety razor looks like it could have a razor in it. It doesn't look like just a handle. It looks like this with no blade in it:

61tkvjDHC5S._SX466_.jpg

I could open it up, if there's any question, I suppose. It opens up and looks like this:

61RbXkc8ncL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Yes, TSA is familiar with these razors and you can bring them on the plane as long as you do not have a blade in them or in you carryon or on your person. That does not mean they will not ask you to open your bag and show them the razor has no blade, it just means when they see it has no blade they will let you proceed to boarding.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2010/08/17/safety-razors-and-disposable-razors

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yes, TSA is familiar with these razors and you can bring them on the plane as long as you do not have a blade in them or in you carryon or on your person. That does not mean they will not ask you to open your bag and show them the razor has no blade, it just means when they see it has no blade they will let you proceed to boarding.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2010/08/17/safety-razors-and-disposable-razors

Cool, thanks. I'll do that then. I'll pack it in my carry-on right next to my AK-47 with the folding stock.