Akers ruled out for Sunday's game against Cowboys

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Akers ruled out for Sunday's game against Cowboys

http://pfc.woai.com/headlines.aspx?content_id=05D6EE7C-99DE-476B-BB1C-74FD638E0916

Akers had a second opinion earlier in the week that confirmed the severity of the injury, but despite reports that suggested he might miss up to 10 weeks, there has been no timetable given for his return.

"He's (Akers) going to work like crazy to get back. It's going to take some time," Eagles head coach Andy Reid said. "It's important we see how the healing process goes. Everybody is different how they heal."

Akers suffered the injury in his team's win over San Francisco on September 18 and apparently tore it on the opening kickoff of a Week 3 victory against the Raiders. Although Akers kicks with his left foot, he briefly left the Raiders game and did not come out for an extra point attempt and the rest of Philadelphia's kickoffs.

However, Akers did return for the winning kick, ending an 11-play, 75-yard drive with the 23-yard chip-shot to give the Eagles a 23-20 win. The All-Pro kicker immediately fell to the turf in obvious pain following the kick.

Akers and Todd France will both remain on the active roster and France will get the call for the second straight week after he kicked three field goals and two extra points against the Chiefs. However, France did have his initial PAT blocked and was on the field for a field goal try when Philadelphia had a botched snap that resulted in a turnover on downs.

In other team news, safety Brian Dawkins missed Wednesday's practice with an ankle injury, although he is likely to play.

Defensive tackle Darwin Walker has missed two straight games with a thigh contusion and is listed as questionable for this week's contest.

Reserve end Trent Cole (hamstring/quadricep) and starting middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter (quad contusion) missed practice on Wednesday and are listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the Cowboys.

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
percyhoward said:
Sure hope it doesn't come down to France vs. Cortez.
Somehow the feeling i get in these old bones i have is that this game will come down to how many TD's we get beat by and not FG's.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
DoomsDayD said:
Somehow the feeling i get in these old bones i have is that this game will come down to how many TD's we get beat by and not FG's.
Dooms, your feeling may be right, but I was referring to the fact that we could've had France on our team as late as two weeks ago.