Al Harris interview with Schefter

J-man

Reaction score
Really like what Al has brought to our secondary. Wish we could have seen what this defense could have done with a healthy Diggs back there too. When you are forced to decide who's better as a #2 between Gilmore and Bland, you're doing alright at CB.

The Natural

Reaction score
Really good interview, Al is a bright guy with an equally bright future in front of him. Some nuggets for the folks that dont have time to listen, last point wont make Cowboys nation too happy.
  • He puts everything into what he’s doing now, but his long term goal has always been to be a head coach, he believes its his calling.
  • Gives a lot of credit to his network of mentors + DQ (calls him a master of his craft)
  • Mentions DQ is always reading to get himself better and pours into the staff and players to make sure everyone is improving.
  • If DQ gets a HC offer and wants to bring Al on as Def. Coordinator: Al would take the job. “If Q was to get a HC job, in whatever capacity he wanted me to come..i’m there. If he’s coaching the Alaska blue birds and says Al I need you..i’m there”

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Really good interview, Al is a bright guy with an equally bright future in front of him. Some nuggets for the folks that dont have time to listen, last point wont make Cowboys nation too happy.
  • He puts everything into what he’s doing now, but his long term goal has always been to be a head coach, he believes its his calling.
  • Gives a lot of credit to his network of mentors + DQ (calls him a master of his craft)
  • Mentions DQ is always reading to get himself better and pours into the staff and players to make sure everyone is improving.
  • If DQ gets a HC offer and wants to bring Al on as Def. Coordinator: Al would take the job. “If Q was to get a HC job, in whatever capacity he wanted me to come..i’m there. If he’s coaching the Alaska blue birds and says Al I need you..i’m there”
Hats off to you for your hard work, I wish more posters would do what you did, some of us are at work and can't get on the horn to hear it, thanks a million

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think both enjoy the current job of developing players. They both want a Lombardi.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Al has been a really fantastic part of this coaching staff. No doubt he is building a resume that's going to allow him more opportunities.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
If DQ gets a HC offer and wants to bring Al on as Def. Coordinator: Al would take the job. “If Q was to get a HC job, in whatever capacity he wanted me to come..i’m there. If he’s coaching the Alaska blue birds and says Al I need you..i’m there”
Are blue birds what people think of when they think of Alaska? I don't think so.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
Good stuff.......If his contract is up, we will likely lose him to a DC job after the season

Why. Just cuz he is a good position coach does not mean he can coordinate an entire defense. This is like people who said norv Turner would be a great head coach just cuz he was a great offensive coordinator. Never worked out. Never worked out for wanstedt, never worked out Chan, never worked out for wade, need I go on. Even Dan Quinn. He got to a Super Bowl yes but lost a 27 point lead and it was all down hill after that

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coaches are a dime a dozen.....been there, done that! Hate to lose him, but IIWII....

aikemirv

Reaction score
That would be a double whammy to lose both. Jerry could probably pay AH more than whoever DQ might go to but it sounds like he wants him as his mentor no matter what.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Coaches are a dime a dozen.....been there, done that! Hate to lose him, but IIWII....
No they are not. There are bad ones, great ones, pretty good ones and a load in the middle that will get you nowhere.

The Natural

Reaction score
Why. Just cuz he is a good position coach does not mean he can coordinate an entire defense. This is like people who said norv Turner would be a great head coach just cuz he was a great offensive coordinator. Never worked out. Never worked out for wanstedt, never worked out Chan, never worked out for wade, need I go on. Even Dan Quinn. He got to a Super Bowl yes but lost a 27 point lead and it was all down hill after that
Does not mean he can't coordinate an entire defense either. I've been saying the last two summers that if Quinn was to leave we need to find out what Harris' coaching ambitions are. His football IQ and ability to get guys to buy in has been evident since he stepped in the building. DeMeco Ryans was once a position coach, earned the opportunity to coordinate and now he's transforming the culture in Houston as a head coach. Mike McDaniel doing the same thing in Miami.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You can tell Coach Al has a real connection with the players. Those DBs stop and listen.

If Big Mac can’t make it this Sunday, I know DQ is the safe choice, but heck, see what Al can do out there leading the team!