Al Johnson...

EustaceCowboy

Reaction score
was mentioned as possibly playing some guard as well as center when we drafted him out of Wisconsin. If, Gurode were to actually beat Johnson out at center, which I think is unlikely, would we consider giving Johnson some snaps at guard? Especially if LA were to move to tackle. He certainly would appear to have the smarts to make the move, and he has tons more experience than either Noll or Peterman.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
johnson is too good to not start somewhere on our line but he will play center like he did for us all years and IMO will push for a pro bowl spot

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
EustaceCowboy said:
was mentioned as possibly playing some guard as well as center when we drafted him out of Wisconsin. If, Gurode were to actually beat Johnson out at center, which I think is unlikely, would we consider giving Johnson some snaps at guard? Especially if LA were to move to tackle. He certainly would appear to have the smarts to make the move, and he has tons more experience than either Noll or Peterman.

Al is too small imho for C he would get crushed at guard

dstew60105

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
Al is too small imho for C he would get crushed at guard

They said the same thing about Mark Stepnoski. How many pro bowls did he go to?

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
dstew60105 said:
They said the same thing about Mark Stepnoski. How many pro bowls did he go to?

they said Step could play guard? and I don't think step went to any Probowls as a guard

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I dont know if Gurode keeps playing at a high level we might see Johnson on te bench, not that i would be mad

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
When Gurode show cases his pulling and open field blocking skills aka "exotic" as Parcells called it in his press conference, I believe the starting position will be open.

Gurode is going back to his natural position. With Rivera and Allen to his side, I don't think Al Johnson can do enough to separate himself from Gurode,but Gurode mauling mentality and ability to hold up in the middle will make Parcells decison very hard. It's tough to bench an incumbent.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Maybe this is a ploy to get some trade value for Gurode. No way Gurode beats out Al.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Charles said:
When Gurode show cases his pulling and open field blocking skills aka "exotic" as Parcells called it in his press conference, I believe the starting position will be open.

Gurode is going back to his natural position. With Rivera and Allen to his side, I don't think Al Johnson can do enough to separate himself from Gurode,but Gurode mauling mentality and ability to hold up in the middle will make Parcells decison very hard. It's tough to bench an incumbent.

No matter which guy wins the job the team benefits in the form of quality depth at that position. To me that is when you know your starting to improve as a team

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Step spent 90% of his career blocking LB's. Today, Centers face a 300+lb man on, or in the gap probably 75% of the time. Not good on a light center with a questionable wheel.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
they said Step could play guard? and I don't think step went to any Probowls as a guard

I thought Stepnoski played some guard his rookie year. Maybe at least in the pre-season since Tom Rafferty was the starting center.

I was pleased in Al Johnson's play last season and look for him to get better. But if you can improve any position on the team, why not? I don't know if Gurode will be a upgrade, but I like position battles. It can make both players better.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
noshame said:
Step spent 90% of his career blocking LB's. Today, Centers face a 300+lb man on, or in the gap probably 75% of the time. Not good on a light center with a questionable wheel.

Lots of folks do not realise that Step for the most part played against 4-3...few team used a 3-4 and when we played against it Step was either injured or got injured or held alot...funny how some folk only always remember the good..I hate to dog on Step he was a good player but he was no match for a NT and he never could have played guard

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I thought Stepnoski played some guard his rookie year. Maybe at least in the pre-season since Tom Rafferty was the starting center.

I was pleased in Al Johnson's play last season and look for him to get better. But if you can improve any position on the team, why not? I don't know if Gurode will be a upgrade, but I like position battles. It can make both players better.

little doubt about it...I think bill might use a rotation again at that position

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I never saw Gurode maul anyone. He will mentally break down in games - yet again. Al J is our starter for a decade.

He's a true Center, is a Parcells player. Gurode is not. Don't get sucked in by Parcells. He's setting you up Gurode fans!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Nors said:
I never saw Gurode maul anyone. He will mentally break down in games - yet again. Al J is our starter for a decade.

He's a true Center, is a Parcells player. Gurode is not. Don't get sucked in by Parcells. He's setting you up Gurode fans!

Some of us are actually fans of the Cowboys and not locked into 1 particular player. I like both players but if Gurode proves himself to be the better of the player he will win the job if not at least his improvment gives Dallas a legit backup player at the position.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Nors said:

What is Gurode then, a false Center? Didn't he play Center in college at Colorado?

Maybe he really wasn't a Guard after all.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Nors said:

I disagree Nors...it is not the mental aspect of Gurode that is the problem but that Gurode is slow a foot he is also unable to change direction quickly... which makes playing Guard not an ideal position for him...I think he stands a much better chance of playing Center if the position does not require a lot of blocking in space and pulling(I think Gurode can reach the MLB in a 4-3 a lot better than he can locate and block a OLB on a pull)the tighter the quarters the better Gurode becomes and it doesn't get any tighter than Center on the oline

Mash

Reaction score
Al Johnson is in for a fight......Bill could see the push up the middle last year.....he is the most overrated player on the cowboys next to Newman IMHO.

I like both players but they sure didn't look like players on a verge of being pro bowlers....like many mention here.

Sorry for being negative....but I didn't see anything that stood out from Johnson last year. I solid player....yes....but it wouldn't shock me one bit if Gurode beat him out.

The fact is....Johnson doesn't have enough lead in his butt to hold up against NT's

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Waffle said:
What is Gurode then, a false Center? Didn't he play Center in college at Colorado?

Maybe he really wasn't a Guard after all.

He was moved from Center to Guard in college.

He was a libility to the right side of our Oline in the past. We shall see who Parcells picks!

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Nors said:
He was moved from Center to Guard in college.

He was a libility to the right side of our Oline in the past. We shall see who Parcells picks!

But Center was his natural position. Why won't you give him a chance to succeed?