Alabama's Mark Anderson #47

TroyEmmittAndMichael

Reaction score
What about Mark Anderson from Alabama? Not many here are saying much about him. Is everyone overlooking him?

Anderson has good size, good speed, agility, athleticism, pass rush moves, run-stopping ability - the only thing he is missing is coverage experience. I think we should certainly consider him with our 2nd round pick.

http://www.procombinetraining.com/h/m2/default.asp?lang=&nCategory=427

After Joseph Addai's memorable NFL Combine Performance on Saturday, it was time for Alabama's Mark Anderson to take to the turf today in Indy. Mark did not disappoint.

Anderson lead his group (Group 8) with a 40 yard dash time of 4.61 sec., he lead his group and all defensive linemen with a huge vertical jump of 42', also led all DL with a 10' 7' Broad Jump. He took top in the three cone drill with a 6.95 sec. time and placed second in the short shuttle (4.22 sec.). Overall it was a dominating performance by Anderson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9270956

Group 8 -- defensive linemen

40-yard dash
Mark Anderson Alabama 4.61
Charles Bennett Clemson 4.70
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 4.70
Elvis Dumervil Louisville 4.75
Charlton Keith Kansas 4.78
Parys Haralson Tennessee 4.80

Vertical jump
Mark Anderson Alabama 42
Ray Edwards Purdue 39
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 38½
Jason Hatcher Grambling 35½
Manaia Brown BYU 34½
Julian Jenkins Stanford 34½

Broad jump
Mark Anderson Alabama 10-foot-7
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 10-foot-3
Copeland Bryan Arizona 9-foot-9
Charles Bennett Clemson 9-foot-7
Parys Haralson Tennessee 9-foot-7
Ray Edwards Purdue 9-foot-6

Three-cone
Mark Anderson Alabama 6.95
Charlton Keith Kansas 7.03
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 7.05
Copeland Bryan Arizona 7.11
Julian Jenkins Stanford 7.11

Short shuttle
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 4.08
Mark Anderson Alabama 4.22
Julian Jenkins Stanford 4.23
Parys Haralson Tennessee 4.26
Copeland Bryan Arizona 4.30

Long shuttle
Chris Gocong Cal. Poly 11.35
Mark Anderson Alabama 11.75
Copeland Bryan Arizona 11.83
Charlton Keith Kansas 11.98
Charles Bennett Clemson 12.04

http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/SeniorBowl.cfm

#47 Mark Anderson keeps turning heads with his play here in Mobile - very good in run support and has a complete arsenal of pass rush moves, often employing them in combination. Beat #74 Eric Winston with a nasty swim/rip/spin (the first time Winston has been really beat all week - he's also having a great week and looking like the top 5 player he was before the ACL tear in 2004.

From the defensive line, #47 Mark Anderson was explosive in drills and showed a nice first step in pass rush.

Media Guy: You had a great week at the Senior Bowl, but who got you inside in the game? (Media Guy is referring to Brick's only sack given up during the game.)
D'Brickashaw Ferguson: "Number 47 from Alabama, I think he's an excellent player, and he got me on a good move."

ddh33

Reaction score
Here's what I keep coming back to. There are several OLB options that I really like all through the draft. I like Wimbley, Lawson, Carpenter, Anderson, Harylson, McClover, Wyche, LaCasse, Keith, Gocong, and Rucker. I really believe that any of those guys could be a solid role player, and potentially, more for this team.

With that in mind, I wonder if it might not be more wise to look at other positions in the first round?

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Anderson could actually be had in the 2nd round. Carpenter and Lawson are 1st rounders. Wimbley will probably go slightly ahead of Anderson somewhere late 1st/early 2nd.

Woods

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
Here's what I keep coming back to. There are several OLB options that I really like all through the draft. I like Wimbley, Lawson, Carpenter, Anderson, Harylson, McClover, Wyche, LaCasse, Keith, Gocong, and Rucker. I really believe that any of those guys could be a solid role player, and potentially, more for this team.

With that in mind, I wonder if it might not be more wise to look at other positions in the first round?

I think we could get a good FS in round 2 or 3 as well.

As for OL, most pundits say the value is in round 2 and 3.

Same for WR, that this is a relatively weak draft class.

It seems that there are some good RBs this year, and one may fall to us, but we don't really need one. (Trade bait!)

As for DL, I don't think Ngata falls to us, though Bunkley appears interesting. (I think we spent some time with him at the Combine as well.)

I think we'd really like to trade down this year, as there is a lot of value in Round 2 this year, but I'm not sure if we'll get a partner this time around.

dwmyers

Reaction score
cowboysfan31 said:
Anderson could actually be had in the 2nd round. Carpenter and Lawson are 1st rounders. Wimbley will probably go slightly ahead of Anderson somewhere late 1st/early 2nd.

There actually is something of a spread on all three. Carpenter's value "spread" seems to be about 0.5-0.7 of a round ( 20-25 at the high end, 40ish in the second on the low end), Lawson and Wimbley have spreads of a round and a half or so (15-50ish). Anderson I think is late 2nd - early 3rd but imo that valuation will go up as the draft nears. His measurables are good and his Senior Bowl and Combine performance encouraging.

Anderson would be well worth considering in the second round.

David.

Pokes28

Reaction score
I like Anderson. I have concerns on his ability to cover as an OLB in a 3-4, but I think he has a real shot at being great opposite Ware.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh