Alex Smith would be drafted in the 3rd-4th round this year

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Alex Smith is nothing more than another system college QB who is a product of the spread offense (much like Andre Ware was a product of the run and shoot offense and the Florida QBs were a product of the fun and gun).

dcboy

Reaction score
I think we can all agree that Smith shouldn't have been a #1 overall pick. sometimes the team picking first doesn't have much choice. No other team was going to trade the farm to move up and they had to take somebody. Its kind of like when the Washington Wizards had the #1 pick but there wasn't a player worthy of #1 there. I guess you have to have a little luck. One year later or one year earlier, the 9ers would have been set. I remember when JJ drafted Quincy Carter, one of his reasons for reaching was the lack of top level elite qb prospects that he saw coming out in the next season. Meaning Joey Harrington and David Carr didn't impress him. When both of these guys were drafted high, I wondered how they would pan out in light of JJ comments indirectly about them. It looks like he was right on Carr and Harrington.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
I'll reserve judgement on Smith until after I see what he can do with Vernon Davis. Everyone said Drew Brees sucked too and that changed when Antonio Gates arrived.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
being they couldn't find a trade buddy, san fran shoulda taken one of the backs (cadillac, brown, or benson) or braylon edwards. those 4 had "elite" written all over them.

any fool could see that QB class was "light at the top". it's a classic example of drafting for need and getting caught reaching. nice job, niners.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack said:
Alex Smith sucks! And you will get no backup from ABQ!

Rack, you could not be more wrong here. Smith has as good or better natural tools as do any of the top prospects from this year. It will take snaps to get acclimated to working from under center but lets not get carried away here. Smith did not play the Run and Shoot while at Utah. He played in a spread formation offense much like VY used in certain situations while at Texas. Smith is a quality football player and he will improve as he gets experience. There is no question in my mind.