Alexander: "I Got Stabbed in the Back"

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Outlaw Heroes said:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/206304_shaun03.html

"Stabbed in the back"? How 'bout "I shot myself in the foot?" He just dropped his value in the free agent market considerably. How many teams want to bring in a player that whines because he didn't get the ball on the game winning - and division-clinching - play? What a moron. :rolleyes:

I agree with everything except the part where he hurt himself in FA. If Seattle is not willing to dish out the money someone else will in a heart beat.

Eskimo

Reaction score
This is purely a pride thing - his is wounded.

Losing the rushing title by 1 yard won't have an appreciable effect on him in FA. The best thing he can do is have a great postseason and stop whining.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Outlaw Heroes said:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/206304_shaun03.html

"Stabbed in the back"? How 'bout "I shot myself in the foot?" He just dropped his value in the free agent market considerably. How many teams want to bring in a player that whines because he didn't get the ball on the game winning - and division-clinching - play? What a moron. :rolleyes:

How about his fumble on the 1 yard line early in the season. It's his own damn fault he didn't win the rushing title. And considering the playoffs were on the line, it was a good call not to hand the ball off to Alexander in a very predictable manner.

Funny thing is Walter Payton complained too when he didn't get a goal line carry in the Superbowl. It was given to the Fridge. Players are human and even the greats like Walter and Emmitt can be selfish when titles and other awards are at stake. People say Emmitt was so brave for carry the ball against the Giants in one of his rushing titles but I think it was pure selfishness. Emmitt wanted the rushing title and he didn't care if he was injured because he was too close to the title. It's amazing how selfish players can be when records are on the line. It is wrong? Yeah Is it understandable? Yeah

the only great who can honestly say it wasn't about the fame or titles was Barry Sanders. He could have easily won the rushing title but he never cared. Jim Brown left the game for Hollywood because the NFL wasn't the high profile league it is now. Brown wanted the fame and money of Hollywood so he left early. It wasn't a big deal back then to break records. If the NFL afforded players the fame and money it does today, there is no doubt Jim Brown would have remained in the NFL to break the rushing title and win all the fame and advertising dollars that go with it.

aikemirv

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
How about his fumble on the 1 yard line early in the season. It's his own damn fault he didn't win the rushing title. And considering the playoffs were on the line, it was a good call not to hand the ball off to Alexander in a very predictable manner.

Funny thing is Walter Payton complained too when he didn't get a goal line carry in the Superbowl. It was given to the Fridge. Players are human and even the greats like Walter and Emmitt can be selfish when titles and other awards are at stake.

This is not even comparable to Payton. He should have been given that carry in the Superbowl. He flat out deserved to have that TD after what he accomplished in his career. Ditka should be ashamed of giving that ball to the fridge - that was disrespect!!!

Alexander is a whining selfish punk!!!

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
This is not even comparable to Payton. He should have been given that carry in the Superbowl. He flat out deserved to have that TD after what he accomplished in his career. Ditka should be ashamed of giving that ball to the fridge - that was disrespect!!!

It's still selfishness. Payton won a Superbowl and was a member of a team. He broke all the NFL records by then. Payton is a classy guy but whining about not being given a carry on a goallne is selfish. Walter Payton is one of the classiest guys to ever play the game but he was still human and it was evident by his whining after the Superbowl.

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
It's still selfishness. Payton won a Superbowl and was a member of a team. He broke all the NFL records by then. Payton is a classy guy but whining about not being given a carry on a goallne is selfish. Walter Payton is one of the classiest guys to ever play the game but he was still human and it was evident by his whining after the Superbowl.

What did Payton say exactly? Just curious since it has been a long time since that Superbowl.

AJM1613

Reaction score
aikemirv said:

So the fridge didn't deserve a touchdown?

Westcoasthabsfan

Reaction score
why hammer on a guy who wants the ball and furthermore the guy is a feature back who should have gotten the rock in that situation IMO

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I can understand Alexanders frustration, these guys set goals for themselfs before the season and when your that close to accomplishing a goal you set for yourself and watch it vanish as his did I can understand his feelings. Where he made a mistake was talking to the media about his frustration

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Westcoasthabsfan said:
why hammer on a guy who wants the ball and furthermore the guy is a feature back who should have gotten the rock in that situation IMO

Wanting the ball is one thing. Caring more about personal achievements than team success is another. The QB sneak was the right call. It caught the defense off guard and won Seattle the game. "Should have gotten the rock"? They scored and won the game. I don't see any room for second guessing, let alone complaining about being "stabbed in the back."

Razz

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
People say Emmitt was so brave for carry the ball against the Giants in one of his rushing titles but I think it was pure selfishness. Emmitt wanted the rushing title and he didn't care if he was injured because he was too close to the title. It's amazing how selfish players can be when records are on the line. It is wrong? Yeah Is it understandable? Yeah
Yeah, the NFC East title and home-field advantage through the playoffs had nothing to do with it.

Oh, yeah .. if Emmitt had come out after the drive where he got hurt, he'd have still won the rushing title.

Dallas offense that day? Emmitt: 229 yards, the rest of the team: 110 yards.

Let us know when you get that foot extracted.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Westcoasthabsfan said:

because the playoffs were on the line. They needed that touchdown to win. It's not like they were blowing out their opposition. With the ball on the 1 yard line, it's fairly obvious you are going to hand the ball off to Alexander. The QB sneak was a perfect call to throw off the defense.

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
People say Emmitt was so brave for carry the ball against the Giants in one of his rushing titles but I think it was pure selfishness. Emmitt wanted the rushing title and he didn't care if he was injured because he was too close to the title.
Very well said. I have been saying the same thing all along...

As for Alexander, if he doesn't like it, I'm sure there are some gas stations hiring out there... grow up dude.

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
Razz said:

Let me know when you realize football is a TEAM sport, and that if Emmitt wasn't in the game, someone else would have gotten the ball... it's not like the Cowboys would have just laid down, for chrissakes...

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Razz said:
Yeah, the NFC East title and home-field advantage through the playoffs had nothing to do with it.

Oh, yeah .. if Emmitt had come out after the drive where he got hurt, he'd have still won the rushing title.

WRONG! Emmitt Smith had 46 yards prior to separating his shoulder in the second quarter of that game. Had Emmitt left the game at that point, he would have finished the season with 1364 yards which would have been well short of Jerome Bettis' 1429 yards. Emmitt came back in the second half and rushed for 122 more yards to finish the game with 168 yards rushing.

Dallas was already in the playoffs despite not having homefield advantage. Emmitt could have permanently sidelined himself by playing with a separated shoulder. And while homefiled advantage is nice, not having Emmitt Smith because he exacerbated his condition by playing with a separated shoulder wouldn't have done the Cowboys any good. But his quest to get the rushing title "gave him some incentive" to play in the second half. I think his desire to join Jim Brown, Earl Campbell and Steve Van Bruen as one of 4 RB's to lead the league in rushing three years in a row might have had something to do with it as well. Considering that Emmitt has been open about his desire to eclipse records and that he wrote his goals down, I will let you be the judge as to what truly motivated him that day.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Emmitt being driven to accomplish these goals or break these records. But anyone who thinks Emmitt was purely motivated by getting Dallas homefield advantage is drinking the Kool-Aid. He was thinking about himself and getting that rushing title. I seriously doubt he would played in the second half had he already won the title outright.

So before you accuse anyone of putting their foot in their mouth, I suggest you do your homework otherwise you will get exposed again.

Razz

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
WRONG! Emmitt Smith had 46 yards prior to separating his shoulder in the second quarter of that game. Had Emmitt left the game at that point, he would have finished the season with 1364 yards which would have been well short of Jerome Bettis' 1429 yards. Emmitt came back in the second half and rushed for 122 more yards to finish the game with 168 yards rushing.
Uh. No.
Emmitt seperated his shoulder on a 46 yard run. He had 109 in the game, and 1427 for the season at that point, which was 2 yards short of what Bettis ended up with.
He had 59 rushing yards after the injury, not 122.

So before you accuse anyone of putting their foot in their mouth, I suggest you do your homework otherwise you will get exposed again.
When you get caught throwing BS, I suggest you quit while you're ahead.