All 11 of Dak's Fumbles Analyzed

Ken

Reaction score
Breaks down? Lol, there's more predetermined bias in that than a campaign speech.

Open. Your. Eyes.
What is predetermined...please explain?

I was honest about what the film shows...do you have evidence to the contrary on anything I presented? If not...go to another thread that you can repeat the tired inaccurate mantras....

John813

Reaction score
Yes, the guy who goes and actually breaks down the actual fumbles so we are all singing off the same sheet of music instead of just blindly repeating the "he fumbled 11 times, he sucks" mantra.

He has had some bad ones...most are not though.

So most are good fumbles?
Lol
Just messing with ya.

Arguing over Dak here is like politics. Both sides are entrenched in their views barring some epic success or failure

Ken

Reaction score
Can't say I've ever harped about Dak's fumbles, and I'm normally one pulling for the guy.
But these endless threads started that spend great effort trying to excuse him or prop him up.....are really getting old.
You knew what you clicked into, if you didn't want to analyze the 11 fumbles that Dak has had this year, you didn't have to come into the thread.

This is actual football talk...not for everyone i suppose.

Ken

Reaction score
This guy is on a daily campaign about what a great quarterback Dak is, and how much better he is than Romo. Yes, it's that absurd.
Never said anything about being better than Romo. He is better than Romo in certain areas and Romo was better than him in certain areas.

Maybe you missed all of my posts defending Romo over the years?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This guy is on a daily campaign about what a great quarterback Dak is, and how much better he is than Romo. Yes, it's that absurd.
It's WAY better than the few here who will never be happy or admit Prescott does anything positive.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You knew what you clicked into, if you didn't want to analyze the 11 fumbles that Dak has had this year, you didn't have to come into the thread.

This is actual football talk...not for everyone i suppose.
Oh, I read it.

And I think I know a thing or two about the game.
It's just that there are so many of these.
Kind of like the pendulum of politics. Push to the extreme one way too often and the result is an extreme response. Unfortunately.

I also think there are too many bash Dak threads, btw.

erod

Reaction score
It's WAY better than the few here who will never be happy or admit Prescott does anything positive.

He does things positive. Runs well. Keeps his poise. Tough. Throws s terrific screen pass (and that's not always easy). Throws a decent slant.

But those are backup traits. He can't make throws that elite quarterbacks do with regularity.

Ken

Reaction score
Oh, I read it.

And I think I know a thing or two about the game.
It's just that there are so many of these.
Kind of like the pendulum of politics. Push to the extreme one way too often and the result is an extreme response. Unfortunately.

I also think there are too many bash Dak threads, btw.
I think when you see the fumbles and the situations all laid out at once...it puts the stat in perspective. There are fumbles that stand out in peoples mind, the Washington fumble for a TD and the one last week against N.O in the waning moments that tend to paint a certain picture.

The entire picture is not the one that certain people keep repeating..."Fumbles are on him because he holds the ball too long". That is just not true.

aikemirv

Reaction score
1st vs Carolina: 3rd and 7 down 16-8 with 1:39 left: No one open, starts to run to the right at 2.72 seconds, is cut off by a defender and reverses field. Fumbles the ball while being tackled. 3rd and 7 would have been 4th and 16 from our own 16. Didn’t exactly cost us the game but it was a legitimate fumble. I argue the Coverage sack caused this more than anything else.

2nd- Week 4 against Detroit: 2nd and 3 at Dallas 32- Empty set, Dak stepping up into the pocket and while in the act of throwing, has the ball knocked out from a defender at 2.29 seconds. Has the presence of mind to pick it up and throw it away. None of this is his fault and he actually saved the game by making this play as it was just before the 2 minute warning and we were down 24-23.

3rd: week 6 vs. Jacksonville: 2nd and 9 at Jax 32: In shotgun, while performing an RPO with Zeke, the ball looks to be knocked out by Zeke as he was running past on the fake, ball bounces up to Dak and he actually gained a yard.

4th- week 6 vs Jacksonville: 2nd and 7 at Jax 25: haha, again, Dak takes off scrambling after 2.37 seconds…ball slips out of his hand while running and bounces back into his hands for a 7 yard gain and a first down.

5th- Week 7 vs Washington- 4th and 1- Fumbles on a sneak. Totally on Dak and this one pissed me off because I have been screaming for them to utilize the qb sneak because it should be unstoppable and he goes and fumbles it when they try it. Washington recovered.

6th Week 7 vs Washington- 3rd and 14- After 4 seconds trying to find someone open, he gets caught sacked and fumbles into the end zone. Bad fumble, Washington scored on this fumble. I know he was trying to make a play but he can’t take a sack let alone fumble in that situation. 2 bad fumbles this game.

7th- Week 9 vs Tennessee- 3rd and 13- After 3.4 seconds in the pocket, is tackled trying to run away and while trying to fight for yardage, is stripped by Woodyard. Should have done something else after there was no one open at 3 seconds…again…trying to make a play on 3rd and long. No one open…Tennessee recovered.

8th-Week 10 vs. Philly- 3rd and 8- After 3 seconds in the pocket, starts to scramble to the right evading a defender, then pats the ball out of his own hand. Picks it up and throws incomplete. Not the worst thing in the world at all…wish he didn’t do that but no harm, no foul.

9th- Week 12 vs Washington- 2nd and 4- Designed RPO run to right, Fumbles as he is going out of bounds after getting the first down. Watching this, his right foot was already out of bounds and then fumbles…should not have even been a fumble. 1st down…

10th- Week 13 vs N.O.- 3rd and 7 New Orleans 19- Ball is knocked out of his hand by defender while resetting to throw in 2.5 seconds. Recovers own fumble for no gain. Hardly his fault on this one.

11th Week 13 vs N.O.- 3rd and 5 on N.O. 6- Sacked in 2.4 seconds from his blind side. A little more time and no holding by Collins and it is likely a TD to Gallup over the middle. Not much he could do here…imo. Wish he hung onto it but Collins was the problem here…not Dak.

Out of the 11 Fumbles:
  • 5 were turnovers
  • 4 were for positive yards or no gain.
  • 4 were 2.5 seconds or less by a defender.
  • 4 were as a runner
  • 2 are hanging in the pocket too long, what he is bashed for...
  • 1 shouldn't have been a fumble.
Hope this helps clear up the latest fallacy about this qb.

The only fumbles I care about are the ones where he shows poor pocket presence or spins out of the pocket backwards. The ones caused by poor QB play. Otherwise all QB's are going to have them and they are not my issue with Dak anyway. The pocket presence is!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
1st vs Carolina: 3rd and 7 down 16-8 with 1:39 left: No one open, starts to run to the right at 2.72 seconds, is cut off by a defender and reverses field. Fumbles the ball while being tackled. 3rd and 7 would have been 4th and 16 from our own 16. Didn’t exactly cost us the game but it was a legitimate fumble. I argue the Coverage sack caused this more than anything else.

2nd- Week 4 against Detroit: 2nd and 3 at Dallas 32- Empty set, Dak stepping up into the pocket and while in the act of throwing, has the ball knocked out from a defender at 2.29 seconds. Has the presence of mind to pick it up and throw it away. None of this is his fault and he actually saved the game by making this play as it was just before the 2 minute warning and we were down 24-23.

3rd: week 6 vs. Jacksonville: 2nd and 9 at Jax 32: In shotgun, while performing an RPO with Zeke, the ball looks to be knocked out by Zeke as he was running past on the fake, ball bounces up to Dak and he actually gained a yard.

4th- week 6 vs Jacksonville: 2nd and 7 at Jax 25: haha, again, Dak takes off scrambling after 2.37 seconds…ball slips out of his hand while running and bounces back into his hands for a 7 yard gain and a first down.

5th- Week 7 vs Washington- 4th and 1- Fumbles on a sneak. Totally on Dak and this one pissed me off because I have been screaming for them to utilize the qb sneak because it should be unstoppable and he goes and fumbles it when they try it. Washington recovered.

6th Week 7 vs Washington- 3rd and 14- After 4 seconds trying to find someone open, he gets caught sacked and fumbles into the end zone. Bad fumble, Washington scored on this fumble. I know he was trying to make a play but he can’t take a sack let alone fumble in that situation. 2 bad fumbles this game.

7th- Week 9 vs Tennessee- 3rd and 13- After 3.4 seconds in the pocket, is tackled trying to run away and while trying to fight for yardage, is stripped by Woodyard. Should have done something else after there was no one open at 3 seconds…again…trying to make a play on 3rd and long. No one open…Tennessee recovered.

8th-Week 10 vs. Philly- 3rd and 8- After 3 seconds in the pocket, starts to scramble to the right evading a defender, then pats the ball out of his own hand. Picks it up and throws incomplete. Not the worst thing in the world at all…wish he didn’t do that but no harm, no foul.

9th- Week 12 vs Washington- 2nd and 4- Designed RPO run to right, Fumbles as he is going out of bounds after getting the first down. Watching this, his right foot was already out of bounds and then fumbles…should not have even been a fumble. 1st down…

10th- Week 13 vs N.O.- 3rd and 7 New Orleans 19- Ball is knocked out of his hand by defender while resetting to throw in 2.5 seconds. Recovers own fumble for no gain. Hardly his fault on this one.

11th Week 13 vs N.O.- 3rd and 5 on N.O. 6- Sacked in 2.4 seconds from his blind side. A little more time and no holding by Collins and it is likely a TD to Gallup over the middle. Not much he could do here…imo. Wish he hung onto it but Collins was the problem here…not Dak.

Out of the 11 Fumbles:
  • 5 were turnovers
  • 4 were as a runner
OMG

you want to tell me no other QB in the league has been under pressure in 2-3 second range...do they fumble in those situations? is it not their fault? . you sound like you are trying to make it sound like its not his fault for fumbling...and that he is under pressure if not he does fine. that goes for 32 QBs in general.

the last fumble against NO, was Dak's fault. he never looked to his right. the pressure was coming and all he had to do was step into the pocket to avoid the pressure..... so he could have created more time...he didn't. this is typical of a lot of other QBs, its not like they all getting protection and that's why they are good, they move around to avoid rush and create time, buy more time. Dak doesn't do a good job of that generally. watching the Steelers and Chargers last night. Rivers was under pressure a lot, but he made some tough throws in a couple of second.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Out of the 11 Fumbles:
  • 5 were turnovers
  • 4 were as a runner

Week 10 - who was he going to throw to when he resettled? Were they open? Should he have thrown it?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
So most are good fumbles?
Lol
Just messing with ya.

Arguing over Dak here is like politics. Both sides are entrenched in their views barring some epic success or failure
Yeah the Dak civil war has soldiers on both sides entrenched in their views. I think he is avg but others don't. It is what it is.

Sydla

Reaction score
No it's not. At all.

I deleted the post because I figured I misread you. But now this is interesting.

So there’s no difference between fumbling the ball and losing 8 yards and not fumbling and maybe throwing the ball away or scrambling to save yardage?

Or what about the fumble that scoots away like 5 yards beyond where the QB would have been sacked?

So fumbling is not a big deal as long as you recover it?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Wait.

So there’s no difference between fumbling the ball and losing 8 yards and not fumbling and maybe throwing the ball away or scrambling to save yardage?
What the hell are you talking about?

I'll try again. Fumbling and recovering is much better than fumbling and turning the ball over. K?

zerofill

Reaction score
I think I have given up analyzing Dak. He is an enigma.... You never know what you are going to get. But, you know Jerry is keeping him, so what is the point anymore?

He is compared to Russell Wilson often, who also for the first 4 years or so, needed everything perfect around him, and wasn't very entertaining to watch. Eventually he developed into someone that could win games without things being perfect. I always compared Russell to a bus driver for years. The dominate defense that the hawks had, is what got them to the dance, and won them a super bowl. If our defense can stay dominate, then Dak will be wearing a ring as well possibly.

I said before, I don't think Dak retains information. I truly do not think he spends the time it takes to absorb information. I also do not think he sees anything wrong with his game. So, I guess we will find out if he is good enough to be that guy in a few years, after free agency, and age takes over for the rest of the team.

Although, no matter how well he is built, if he keeps holding the ball like he does... we will be finding a new QB anyway. He will find out what it is like to be Romo.

46 Sacks, or whatever it was at last count is just not even possible with the o-line we have. Really, it just isn't possible... they may not be at the top of their game, but they are not even close to as bad as his sack count makes them look. I am sorry but our O-line is better than the Giants. With Eli that doesn't move for anything... and he hasn't even been sacked that many times. Our O-line is leaps and bounds better than the Raiders, and Carr hasn't been sacked that many times.

But, if we pay him $30mil a year, like some top QB... he won't have everything perfect around him, so he better figure something out. Because in my opinion he is one of the most replaceable players that will need contracts.
  • Does anyone thing DLAW isn't going to be needing a big check to stay?
  • Does anyone think Byron, the level of CB play he has shown is going to be happy with his current contract? Which is up soon anyway.
  • Zeke? You know that is like a 1993 Emmitt right there, waiting to happen.
  • Cooper, we all see what he is capable of. I might have not wanted to give up a first. But, I always like that guy. I see now it was worth it.
Take any of that away, and tell me where you see Dak.

Do I think there should be a competition for the spot in training camp, etc?

> Most certainly... Dak's play in my opinion hasn't earned him the right, to just be the starter.

Am I under some false pretense that there is a Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes, or Goff out there waiting to be chosen by Dallas?

> No... I realize there is not a whole heck of a lot out there right now.

I still think Teddy Bridgewater was someone we should have looked into. Possibly during the off season as well. Where we can make it a competition in training camp, before Dak is signed to some contract that totally screws us.
If Dak tried to hold out for a contract next season, that would easily take care of it, at that point. Because he would just be done in Dallas. The only issue with someone like Teddy is, I would have to run him through a battery of tests, because that knee injury was unbelievable.

But still, if this defense stays intact for the next few years, the future is bright in Dallas, as far as job security for all, because the defense is no joke. And if LVE stays healthy, get ready for the biggest LB contract on earth when it is time.

This defense, and Zeke and Cooper, are the ONLY reason we have a chance. Dak is not an integral part of us winning. He just isn't a part of it. That is where I have the big problem with giving him some huge contract. There are QBs out there that can hand Zeke the ball, and make better throws to Cooper.

I just don't see what people base their opinion on with Dak, as far as being some key parts to us winning. Key things that actually justify him getting some big contract.