All 22 Observations - Den vs SD

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
I've spent some time watching the All-22 film of Denver's offense vs SD. I'm now more convinced that our defense can do well against them. Here are some observations:

* Expect to see lots of tight ends. They'll sometimes use two or three and they're not afraid to split them out wide. Their game plan is very basic. They may send five receivers out and have all five hook up 8 yards down field or send one player deep. They'll have two tight ends and a wing back on one side. They didn't try a lot of deep passes and do not appear very explosive. Instead have to execute well to move the ball down the field. If we can control the field position and not give up big plays I don't see them scoring much.

* I think I saw one time when Siemian looked at multiple receivers. There were a couple of plays where receivers where really close together and he could have been reading who to through to but I'm not sure. Instead, every pass seemed to be a pre-snap read of where to go with a quick pass. (Part of the reason was probably because he was usually on his butt if the first read wasn't open). He has a strong enough arm and accuracy to usually get the ball to his first read. If you can make him hold the ball he starts to look like a deer in headlights. If we can get him off his first read he'll be in trouble.

* Their right tackle is the weakest spot on their line but their right guard isn't much better. He was ok when pass blocking against a blubbery nose tackle but struggled a lot against anyone with some athletic ability. A few times SD moved Bosa to go against him. Let's hope Leary needs another week to recover from his concussion.

* There were times when Bosa would be out or SD would move him somewhere else and put number 40 in his spot at defensive end. 40 is a 236 lb "DE". I guess he's a pass rusher because he can't play the run. When Denver saw him on the field they would run right at him with success. One time Denver had all their receivers out wide and audibled to bring a tight end back tight opposite 40 just to run at him. The tight end took 40 ten yards down field. I don't see that being an issue with our defensive ends.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
A few observations about Denver's defense ...

* What we all know is they can cover. You don't see defensive backs being turned around. You don't see uncontested receptions. If you catch the ball against them expect to be hit.

* Last year they were bad against the run. After week one their fans are saying they have it fix. I'm not so sure. I heard the SD has one offensive lineman playing in the same spot as last year. They didn't do a great job getting a push on running plays. They weren't bad will probably get better as the year goes along. SD had some success early running the ball and most plays were run to the weak side. SD would have a tight end or two on one side and then run to the weak side with a guard and usually a tight end pulling to lead the way. They would use different formations but kept hammering the weak side the entire game. I wonder if that's something Dallas will try.

* Speaking of that offensive line ... SD's is more solid pass blocking than either Denver or NYG. When Denver brought four Rivers generally had three good seconds to find a receiver. Miller and the other outside backer made some plays but by and large, Rivers had decent time. I think our pass blocking will be fine when they only rush four. My concern is when they bring more. They'll often put 8 or even nine in the box and run stunts and various blitzes. If your'e like me you still have nightmares of Jim Johnson's blitzes and this reminded me of that. There was one play were the Broncos have 8 in the box and a linebacker on the line of scrimmage outside the offensive tackle. At the snap the linebacker waits a split second for the other defenders to clear and then blitzes all the way over in the A gap for a clean path to Rivers. They will also put 8 in the box but only rush four leaving the other four to cut off any quick passes. It can be confusing and mess up blocking assignments whether it's a run or pass play.

JBS

Reaction score
That's some good work, NT..thank you

If Dallas protects the ball, which we are good at doing, we should be in good shape..

It's going to be a low scoring game..the atmosphere and altitude will play into Denvers hands..if we give them the ball on top of that, it will be difficult to win..however, if we take care of the football, we should be able to edge them out..Denver just doesn't have the ability to move the ball consistently enough without help..

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
The first game Siemian started after Manning left, I watched some of it , what I took away from it was the kid isn't a slouch, although I couldn't tell you if he Q.B.'d his team to victory if my very life depended on it, I recall being slightly impressed, apparently Denver wasn't, as he was subsequently pulled and benched ,so what do I know?o_O

ShiningStar

Reaction score
The first game Siemian started after Manning left, I watched some of it , what I took away from it was the kid isn't a slouch, although I couldn't tell you if he Q.B.'d his team to victory if my very life depended on it, I recall being slightly impressed, apparently Denver wasn't, as he was subsequently pulled and benched ,so what do I know?o_O

i was right there with you. I thought he was legit. I think most of the fans did too. Didnt they win some games under him?