All I Care About Right Now

plasticman

Reaction score
You say that as if it’s a pure Jerry comment.

Is it drafting! Isn’t that McClay?

Is it free agent signings? Doesn’t that also fall into scouting in partnership with cap management?

Is it cap management? Doesn’t that really fall on Stephen?

I really believe this, but Jerry is GM in name only. It’s a title. Like the English monarchy.

Our “GM” is actually McClay, Stephen and Jerry combined.

Draft and scouting
Money management
PR

The Cowboys are actually decent when compared to the league. Not incredible but not bad.

Our drafting is really good.

Our team obviously wins the publicity war year after year.

Results ‘attend obviously and our results in the playoffs are bad

It’s ultimately on Jerry, but if we have a three-headed “GM”, I can’t say that we’re worse than a bunch of other teams.

Howie gets talked about here, but Siriani staying, the firing of both coordinators and the complete redirection of offensive and defensive philosophy is a slap across Siriani face and the reversal of scheme on both sides of the ball. Reports are that this is coming straight down from Lurie.

Howie is just doing the legwork to make it happen.

How is that really different than what we deal with?
You can give a GM the best quality information about players in the draft. That doesn't mean he will make the best choice.

All McClay does is evaluate and grade players and make strong recommendations. Jerry still has to be smart enough to follow those recommendations. Does anyone here believe that Jerry goes strictly on the evaluations and recommendations of his scouting staff?

He never has and he never will. Jerry thinks he's slick. He thinks he has intangibles that give him the even better success then any GM that has spent the last 30 years achieving success at every level of the operations actually earning their position.

Jerry has destroyed every attempt by reputable coaches to build the type of team with the type of character and skillsets they need for their overall philosophy and style of play. He has intervened often, eroding the HC's authority and contradicting the HC's communications with assistant coaches and players.

Jerry Jones does not have a vision, philosophy, plan, goal, style, concept or innovation to contribute to any football related aspect of an NFL team. He simply parrots and distorts information passed along to him from professionals that actually know what they are talking about.

Kwyn

Reaction score
You can give a GM the best quality information about players in the draft. That doesn't mean he will make the best choice.

All McClay does is evaluate and grade players and make strong recommendations. Jerry still has to be smart enough to follow those recommendations. Does anyone here believe that Jerry goes strictly on the evaluations and recommendations of his scouting staff?

He never has and he never will. Jerry thinks he's slick. He thinks he has intangibles that give him the even better success then any GM that has spent the last 30 years achieving success at every level of the operations actually earning their position.

Jerry has destroyed every attempt by reputable coaches to build the type of team with the type of character and skillsets they need for their overall philosophy and style of play. He has intervened often, eroding the HC's authority and contradicting the HC's communications with assistant coaches and players.

Jerry Jones does not have a vision, philosophy, plan, goal, style, concept or innovation to contribute to any football related aspect of an NFL team. He simply parrots and distorts information passed along to him from professionals that actually know what they are talking about.
In my opinion, many of your comments are just … opinion.

Other than Zone chatter, we don’t have evidence of Jerry ignoring scouting feedback unless you go all the way back to Zack/Manziel, at which time he actually did give way to the scouting.

I honestly think that the organization works much more independently than we believe and that makes us crazy because it’s easy to just go for the low hanging fruit.

Does he weigh in on the top two or three picks each year? Sure. Does he have the bandwidth to track 6th round scouting reports from the mountain west conference? Of course not.

I just think Jerry is an easy and obvious target, and rightly so.

Doesn’t mean we have to give up our common sense and go crazy. The reality is that we are just all frustrated and as top man, Jerry deservadely gets the blame.

All of the emotional commentary is, in my opinion, soap opera drama we inflict on ourselves because it feels good to be mad.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You say that as if it’s a pure Jerry comment.

Is it drafting! Isn’t that McClay?

Is it free agent signings? Doesn’t that also fall into scouting in partnership with cap management?

Is it cap management? Doesn’t that really fall on Stephen?

I really believe this, but Jerry is GM in name only. It’s a title. Like the English monarchy.

Our “GM” is actually McClay, Stephen and Jerry combined.

Draft and scouting
Money management
PR

The Cowboys are actually decent when compared to the league. Not incredible but not bad.

Our drafting is really good.

Our team obviously wins the publicity war year after year.

Results ‘attend obviously and our results in the playoffs are bad

It’s ultimately on Jerry, but if we have a three-headed “GM”, I can’t say that we’re worse than a bunch of other teams.

Howie gets talked about here, but Siriani staying, the firing of both coordinators and the complete redirection of offensive and defensive philosophy is a slap across Siriani face and the reversal of scheme on both sides of the ball. Reports are that this is coming straight down from Lurie.

Howie is just doing the legwork to make it happen.

How is that really different than what we deal with?
GM's make decisions. That don't ask the Owners for permission. Will is basically giving advice. Some times they take some times the dont.

Sometimes Jeruh trades a 4th round pick for a QB without talking to anyone.

plasticman

Reaction score
In my opinion, many of your comments are just … opinion.

Other than Zone chatter, we don’t have evidence of Jerry ignoring scouting feedback unless you go all the way back to Zack/Manziel, at which time he actually did give way to the scouting.

I honestly think that the organization works much more independently than we believe and that makes us crazy because it’s easy to just go for the low hanging fruit.

Does he weigh in on the top two or three picks each year? Sure. Does he have the bandwidth to track 6th round scouting reports from the mountain west conference? Of course not.

I just think Jerry is an easy and obvious target, and rightly so.

Doesn’t mean we have to give up our common sense and go crazy. The reality is that we are just all frustrated and as top man, Jerry deservadely gets the blame.

All of the emotional commentary is, in my opinion, soap opera drama we inflict on ourselves because it feels good to be mad.
Common sense?

This has been going on for 27 years. This surpasses common sense, it's simply what has been happening right in front of our very eyes. Nothing needs to be evaluated, debated or opinionated. Simply recalling history over the past two and a half decades should suffice.

As far as "emotional commentary", I have repeatedly provided a vast assortment of facts, statistics and other valid sources of information that confirm my "opinion" to the point where I am tired of constantly posting the same 20 pages that contradict any perception that Jerry Jones is a competent NFL GM. I don't even have to, just a glance of teh Cowboys annual results paints a pretty consistent story of mediocrity.

I am not inspired by the average, I cannot answer for anyone else.

Kwyn

Reaction score
GM's make decisions. That don't ask the Owners for permission. Will is basically giving advice. Some times they take some times the dont.

Sometimes Jeruh trades a 4th round pick for a QB without talking to anyone.
I just explained that Lurie essentially told Howie what’s up. Several reports out there.

Plenty of owners out there telling their GMs “don’t forget, you work for me”

Chasing6

Reaction score
I just explained that Lurie essentially told Howie what’s up. Several reports out there.

If plenty of owners are having to remind GM's that means they are making decisions on their own.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Just listen to Mike McDaniel and how he explains how the trade went down for Tyreek Hill.

1. Owners name never came up.
2. GM called the Head Coach to get his input.
3. Mike did additional research, because they do not research players that are not free agents.
4. They did not panic and over spend.
4. It took 2 to 3 days to get it done.

Now let's look at the Trey Lance trade.

1. Only one involved was the Owner Jerry and GM Jeruh.
2. No reasons to talk to the Head Coach, who actually decides who plays and what team needs they have. But we are to believe Jerry listen to Will McClay during the draft process.
3. We somehow believe we are constantly up to date evaluating every player in the league.
4. We panicked and were afraid to get off the phone without a deal.
5. We way over paid for a player no one else wanted, that does not fit a need and did not help our team.

FoxF

Reaction score
As far as upgrading the offensive line, I agree. While I don’t think this team or organization can deliver a superbow, Dak is generally pretty good when you give him time and a running game wouldn't hurt.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Lol. Put Frederick in his prime on this team were still at home after gb game. Funny thread though.