"All in" or Consistent Mediocrity?

ATXSRT

Reaction score
What would you rather have?

ALL IN - We go all out this offseason acquiring some big time free agents, maybe trade some future draft picks to move up in top 10 and get a guy they really want that will impact this year, keep key pieces like Tank, T smith, Dak. You do this sacrificing the future and maybe we make it to the Superbowl. 1 year all in we either win or we don't, and are a dumpster for a couple years after that with a major rebuild.

OR

Consistent mediocrity - Basically what we have been the past 3 seasons. 10 to 12 win type team, all the hype and hoopla. Team is competitive but lacks something to take them to the next level. The team is great during the regular season but come playoffs we can't seem to get over the hump. Rinse and repeat for as long as they can maintain it. They maintain the cap, and consistently have a competitive team year round. Gives you enough hope to always watch and be talking about the Cowboys.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Why go all in and try to get a GREAT team only to have what the Commanders did years ago and it backfired. We need to RID the consistent mediocrity, get a real GM that loves football and can change the culture and stain from Jerry and his Stephen!!

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I would argue that this is a false dichotomy. "Consistent Mediocrity" is not the only alternative to "All In".

Going "All In" is risky and short sighted. Look at the best teams in the league. Did KC go "All In"? Did San Fran go "All In"?
NO.

"All In" means sacrificing future draft picks, and pushing out salary cap hits. Bad idea in general, and a horrible idea if the QB is Dak.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I would argue that this is a false dichotomy. "Consistent Mediocrity" is not the only alternative to "All In".

Going "All In" is risky and short sighted. Look at the best teams in the league. Did KC go "All In"? Did San Fran go "All In"?
NO.

"All In" means sacrificing future draft picks, and pushing out salary cap hits. Bad idea in general, and a horrible idea if the QB is Dak.
very very good points

ATXSRT

Reaction score
NO.
I could argue KC did back when they drafted Mahomes. They had Alex Smith but decided to sacrifice future picks and players to go all in on Mahomes. SF did the same thing, altho they did it for the wrong player (they still got Purdy). You can just say they drafted Purdy instead with the picks.

phildadon86

Reaction score

NO.

Have you seen San Frans record since the trade deadline?

Did they stand PAT?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

NO.

Rams did it, won the SB, and now made it to the playoffs after supposedly being faced with “salary cap hell”.

Bucs did it, won the SB, and now made it to the playoffs after supposedly being faced with “salary cap hell”.

But please, tell me more why you subscribe to the Jones school of persuasion and propoganda.

nobody

Reaction score
Rams did it, won the SB, and now made it to the playoffs after supposedly being faced with “salary cap hell”.

Bucs did it, won the SB, and now made it to the playoffs after supposedly being faced with “salary cap hell”.

But please, tell me more why you subscribe to the Jones school of persuasion and propoganda.
You need a QB that doesn't consistently choke in the playoffs to believe going All-In will work.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last three decades “All in” means “All Jones, all the time”, or “All in” means whatever the Jones tell us it is.

It strikes me as strange that JJ and SJ are talking about being “All in” for 2024…does that mean they weren’t all in for the 2023 season? Are they saying, “Ok, now we are serious about doing what it takes”…?

It just rings really hollow when the architect AND Captain of the last 28 Titanic voyages (which all hit icebergs) tells us again, “Hey don’t worry, THIS TIME, we will avoid the same iceberg we’ve hit 28 times.” Hey I will be thrilled if after 28 years, the blind squirrels find a nut but don’t ask me to “buy in”, lol.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
12 wins isn't mediocrity. It's nowhere near good enough but not mediocrity.

Big_D

Reaction score
I don't know what all in actually means to this front office? but after 3 12 win seasons, now is the time. Either you want to win and you want your players to have success.. or you don't. So we shall see where Jerry and Enos stand in July and what they did to put themselves in a real position??????

Aven8

Reaction score
I took what Jerry said about going all in is about paying Micah, Dak, and Lamb. That’s gonna be expensive. Not about getting FA’s etc

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
In hindsight this was the year to go all in. Javon Hargrove could have been had for a $7 million dollar cap hit this year, Dalvin Tomlinson or Sheldon Rankins for less than $4.5
Any of those three would have made a big impact on the defense

doomsday9084

Reaction score
There is no "ALL IN" this season. Its a marketing ploy and a joke. The team is up against it capwise and has a lame duck coach. Like seriously, they really are going to struggle to get cap room and are likely to lose free agents, not gain them.

I would be somewhat furious if they started giving away future draft picks to marginally improve the team this year. Not nearly as angry as I am about McCarthy being retained, so . . . there's that.

visionary

Reaction score
What would you rather have?

ALL IN - We go all out this offseason acquiring some big time free agents, maybe trade some future draft picks to move up in top 10 and get a guy they really want that will impact this year, keep key pieces like Tank, T smith, Dak. You do this sacrificing the future and maybe we make it to the Superbowl. 1 year all in we either win or we don't, and are a dumpster for a couple years after that with a major rebuild.

OR

Consistent mediocrity - Basically what we have been the past 3 seasons. 10 to 12 win type team, all the hype and hoopla. Team is competitive but lacks something to take them to the next level. The team is great during the regular season but come playoffs we can't seem to get over the hump. Rinse and repeat for as long as they can maintain it. They maintain the cap, and consistently have a competitive team year round. Gives you enough hope to always watch and be talking about the Cowboys.
Either approach will lead to certain disaster when instituted by incompetent idiots like the Joneses

Its not the approach
It is the morons executing it

doomsday9084

Reaction score
In hindsight this was the year to go all in. Javon Hargrove could have been had for a $7 million dollar cap hit this year, Dalvin Tomlinson or Sheldon Rankins for less than $4.5
Any of those three would have made a big impact on the defense
Yup. They could have got Derrick Henry for a future pick too.

A lot of people called it last year in the offseason. This isn't a hindsight thing. Last year was Dallas' window.