All Is Right In The World Again...

ScottCase

Benched
Reaction score
CONGRATS TO THE GREATEST ORGANIZATION IN SPORTS THE NEW YORK YANKEES WIN THE EAST FOR THE 8TH YEAR IN A ROW...

WAY TO DEFEND YOUR TITLE BOSTON - LOSING TO THE YANKEES AHH WELL HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE SUN SHINING ON A DOG'S A LAST SEASON FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 86 YEARS....

WOOOOOO!!!!

Bryan8284

Reaction score
Is your caps lock button broken?

Who cares about the Yankees? They won the division last year too and that did them a lot of good. Red Sox will still be in the playoffs with a win or Indiands loss. You would think a 210 MILLION dollar payroll wouldn't have to worry until the last weekend of the year to make the playoffs.

But what do I know. I hate the Yankees and Red Sox anyway. Go Cowboys

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Umm you do know if the Boston redsox win tommorow that they will be tied for first place, and will have a playoff for the winner of hte divison...

dont count the chickens before they hatched,

and BTW baseball isnt a very popular sport

ScottCase

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Umm you do know if the Boston redsox win tommorow that they will be tied for first place, and will have a playoff for the winner of hte divison...

dont count the chickens before they hatched,

and BTW baseball isnt a very popular sport
Ummm Sorry MS.Mittens but with a Cleveland loss today - the Yanks win the tie breaker v.s. Boston and therefore are your Champions of the East ....again.
The tiebreaker is head to head.....tomorrow is a Scrub game for the Yanks so Boston will most likely win and be in.

Payroll? Who cares - we set the recored for most used Starting pitchers in a season due to injuries....We scrimped and scrapped our way here with guys like Shawn Chacon - Aaron Small - CM Wang etc etc....Robinson Cano - This is not your normal "Yawn it's way to the WS Yankees"

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
ScottCase said:
Ummm Sorry MS.Mittens but with a Cleveland loss today - the Yanks win the tie breaker v.s. Boston and therefore are your Champions of the East ....again.
The tiebreaker is head to head.....tomorrow is a Scrub game for the Yanks so Boston will most likely win and be in.

Payroll? Who cares - we set the recored for most used Starting pitchers in a season due to injuries....We scrimped and scrapped our way here with guys like Shawn Chacon - Aaron Small - CM Wang etc etc....Robinson Cano - This is not your normal "Yawn it's way to the WS Yankees"

first i'm not a Ms.

second, Clevand has nothing to do with the winning a dvision, all it means is that both teams are garentted a playoff birth.

third, you have all this great talent on our team, you have one of the best pitchers in Randy Jhonson, and it took till the second to last game of the season before your even gareented a playoff birth,

sorry the yankees suck

parchy

Reaction score
Yankees fans have absolutely no bragging rights over the Sox right now anyway. Did you forget about the worst choke-job in sports history already?

ScottCase

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
first i'm not a Ms.

second, Clevand has nothing to do with the winning a dvision, all it means is that both teams are garentted a playoff birth.

third, you have all this great talent on our team, you have one of the best pitchers in Randy Jhonson, and it took till the second to last game of the season before your even gareented a playoff birth,

sorry the yankees suck
You do know how wrong you are ...don't you? IT'S ALL OVER THE NEWS - THE YANKEES WIN THE EAST.
The Yankees have clinched today b/c even with a Boston win tomorrow - both teams would be tied. And the first tie breaker is head to head play -NOT a one game playoff.
Before posting - I'd suggest educating yourself on the sport.

ScottCase

Benched
Reaction score
parchy said:
Yankees fans have absolutely no bragging rights over the Sox right now anyway. Did you forget about the worst choke-job in sports history already?
But when you're the team of the decade and have the most Championships in Sports history - the worst choke hurts...but it didn't kill us....We've gotten over it and re-assummed our throne as the Evil Empire....

ScottCase

Benched
Reaction score
This makes it even sweeter!!!

Dan Shaughnessy wrote:

QUOTE EASY CALL: RACE IS A RUNAWAY
Published on June 26, 2005

PHILADELPHIA - It's OK to say it. Don't worry about jinxing them. The 2005 Red Sox are going to win the American League East. By a landslide. Come late September, this is going to look like Secretariat at the Belmont in 1973

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
the funny part is, boston could easily still whip you guys in the postseason, so i'm not sure why you're so excited.

they were down 3-0 last year and won. i don't think this will faze them all that much.

ScottCase

Benched
Reaction score
phillycowboyslover said:
the funny part is, boston could easily still whip you guys in the postseason, so i'm not sure why you're so excited.

they were down 3-0 last year and won. i don't think this will faze them all that much.
I'm excited b/c Boston choked away the division in which they LED all season long...ALL SEASON LONG....
Since starting 11-19 we have the best record in baseball - We made the best trade in Baseball down the Stretch in getting Shawn Chacon...we made the best minor league callup of the season- Aaron Small - and amazing 10-0 start to his career make that an unmatched start to his Yankee career- We signed Womack...and he slopoed it up...and we called up potential AL rookie of the year Robbie Cano...Carl Pavano turned coward on us - we survived...Jarret Wright missed all season - we survived - Kevin Brown quit on us - We survived on and on and on....
We also got up off the mat..after losing to the Sox last season in the playoffs..a crushing defeat for anyone....but instead of cowering...we got up and fought back to take the East - like the Greatest Franchise that we are...

That's why WE ARE ALL FIRED UP....Make No Mistake - NYC is rocking right now....I hope we get Boston..I wanna end their season....that's if they even make it.

But what would you know about Baseball - you're from Philly the biggest pile of garbage sports town in the US....the worst baseball town in America bext to Pittsburgh....Nobody cares about the Phillies there....Nobody...In fact many of those fans come from Cherry Hill and South Jersey - not Philly.
I was on Philly last week and the Phils had a huge game and they were talking Iggles on the WIP...Whadda Joke.

Gordon

Reaction score
ScottCase said:
I'm excited b/c Boston choked away the division in which they LED all season long...ALL SEASON LONG.....

Hate to poop on your parade there, but the Orioles had the division lead all season up until June 24th. So the Red Sox held the division lead for about 1/2 the year.

SINCE 1976 WHEN PETE ROSE AND THE BIG RED MACHINE BEAT US...AND I CRIED HARDER THAN THE CATCH

ScottCases' Profile
Birthday:
April 19, 1982

You must've been a devastated -6 year old..

ScottCase

Benched
Reaction score
Gordon said:
Hate to poop on your parade there, but the Orioles had the division lead all season up until June 24th. So the Red Sox held the division lead for about 1/2 the year.

ScottCases' Profile
Birthday:
April 19, 1982

You must've been a devastated -6 year old..
I was born in 1969 friend - and I never touched that profile....I was a devastated 7 year old -....

- The Orioles collapsed as expected but the Sox had the lead thru a large portion of the year ..in fact we were in 1st place for one day in the summer and lost it....

ScottCase

Benched
Reaction score
Here it is put simpler for everyone...of the haters.....
Yankees' winning formula: Hard work, team work

By Gene Wojciechowski
ESPN.com
Archive

BOSTON -- Not far from Fenway Park, at the corner of Boylston and Massachusetts, a local organization provided free stress tests to anyone who stopped by its sidewalk tables. I only saw one person take advantage of the pregame freebie consultation: a New York Yankees fan wearing his road gray Bernie Williams jersey.

This was late Saturday morning, before the Yankees won Game Two of their weekend cage match against the Red Sox and clinched the AL East title outright when New York's new best friends, the Chicago White Sox, beat the Cleveland Indians. Now the Yankees can relax (at least, until George Steinbrenner's latest rabies shot wears off), and Red Sox manager Terry Francona can take a seat at the makeshift Boylston stress clinic.

Once again, the Yankees soaked another clubhouse floor and walls with sprayed bubbly. They've won so many of these things (eight consecutive division titles and counting) they could conduct a seminar on proper cork-popping technique. But this one, said Yankees manager Joe Torre "is the best of all of them. ... This has to be the most special."

It was special enough that Torre wore sunglasses in the Yankees dugout -- not because he needed them, but because he didn't want anyone to see the tears in his eyes as starter Randy Johnson protected New York's five-run lead by striking out the side in the sixth inning.

Torre gets chick-flick misty at the drop of a baseball cap, but this was different. It was different because in his 10-year Bronx tenure, the Yankees have never had to work harder for a division title. Injuries. ... The Red Sox. ... The constant, sometimes-suffocating pressure that comes with wearing pinstripes all made for a celebration to remember in the cramped -- and wet -- visitors' clubhouse at Fenway.

"This club has made me very emotional this year," said Torre, who didn't seem in a hurry to switch from his champagne-doused t-shirt to something in the non-alcohol variety.

You couldn't swing a bottle of Korbel brut without hitting a Yankee who wasn't having an Oprah moment. There was closer Mariano Rivera, who was cheered by Boston fans when the Red Sox were presented their 2004 World Series rings before the April 11 home opener. It was Rivera who had blown a ninth-inning Yankees lead in what could have been, should have been the AL Championship Series Game 4 clincher. Instead, the Red Sox won that one, and three more to record one of the greatest playoff series comebacks in the history of sports.

So guess who abandoned his usual game-day routine and spent the first couple of innings in the Yankees' dugout cheering on his teammates? It was Rivera, who usually stays for the national anthem before returning to the clubhouse and later the bullpen. But this time, Rivera couldn't help himself.

"I was almost telling him to shut up," said Torre, who wanted Rivera to conserve his energy for something important, like pitching.

Rivera, who arguably is the Yankees' most valuable player this season, was where he belonged in the ninth inning: on the mound, duct-taping the Red Sox's AL East hopes shut.

"A lot of people counted us out," Rivera said. "We showed we are capable of coming back, and we did. It's special. Before, it wasn't like that. Before, we had big leads. Now, we have to fight for it."

The Yankees were 11-19 and nine games out of first on May 6. By mid-July they led the division, but fell behind and trailed by four games as recently as Sept. 10. Now this: another title and, for the moment, retribution and satisfaction.

"We had a lot of guys who stepped up," said shortstop Derek Jeter, the guy Torre describes as the Yankees' "Gibraltar."

One of those guys is Johnson, whose arrival via free agency made the New York rotation the deepest Torre has had as Yankees manager. But that was before Yankees starters began dropping like they had heat stroke. Through it all, the 42-year-old Johnson was the only one who never spent time on the disabled list. He finished the regular season with a 17-8 record. Five of those victories came against the Red Sox.

"When I came here, I was told there's two seasons: a regular season and a postseason," Johnson said. "There's not too many teams I've played for who expect to get to the postseason. This team has been there enough that they expect to get to the postseason every year."

Body language says everything. Even when Johnson gave up a first-inning bomb to Manny Ramirez, or squirmed out of a bases-loaded jam in the bottom of the second, he walked slowly off the mound and toward the Yankees' dugout as if he were walking down the driveway to pick up the morning paper.

"But there's a heartbeat in there," Torre said.

And it was thumping hard in those first few innings, and again during the champagne shower. After all, this is why he wanted to be a Yankee.

Baseball and its agonizingly long regular season doesn't allow for many flukes, and this AL East Ironman race was no exception. The division's best team, which also happens to be baseball's most expensive team, earned its latest East title by a margin as thin as a blade of Fenway infield grass. The perk? Even if Torre shows up at home plate Sunday in a pair of boxers and forfeits the game because his team popped one too many bottles of Korbel the night before, the Yankees still will own the division because of a better season record against The Nation.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox are stuck in stress mode. A win Sunday means they're the wild-card winner. But it won't be easy, even with Jaret Wright replacing scheduled starter Mike Mussina.

"Oh, we're going to try to win," Torre said.

They always do. Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at gene.wojciechowski@espn3.com.