All of the hype goes away when training camp starts

leeblair

Reaction score
If the Cowboys dwell on the hype and expectations pronounced so boldly during this offseason, they may find that they were listening too much to the voices of those just needing something to say.

Once training camp starts, every team in the NFL will begin to build a wall upon which they can hopefully sit the Lombardi trophy at the end of the year. And, they don't care about the hype that the Cowboys have been getting, and don't really share the respect that we do as fans for the talented roster of the Cowboys.

And, is it really that talented? Questions loom at wide reciever, and at safety. The Cornerback spots are still somewhat of a question mark, and the linebacking corps has done some juggling of it's own.

Yes, we still have Romo, Witten, Ware, Ellis, T.O., Spencer, and the "barbarian"; and we still have a very strong offensive line and a pretty good defensive line.

But, those questions remain. And for the rest of the NFL, their GM's and talent evaluators have also been hard at work to try to piece together the puzzle that is needed to catapult their team to the top.

And then, there is the individual players. The rookies who go into their respective camps trying to show up older players and earn a spot for themselves. There are players who are already established who are itching for the spotlight that the Cowboys enjoy. They don't care about reputations of Terrell Owens or Marion Barber; they only care about their own.

Just a reminder- the season is yet to start. If the Cowboys and Wade Phillips accept the Lombardi trophy from the media in training camp, and they forget that there is still an entire season to be played against other players who want to make a name and a reputation for themselves,

They might find that they accepted it just a wee bit too soon.

The pressure's on, and the clock is ticking. There's only one way to the top, and that's to be the best at the end of the way. And, the only way they'll achieve that is by making preparations and working hard now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did this sound really wise and rational when you were thinking about it in your head?

leeblair

Reaction score
Yes, it does.

I worry that there is too much hype surrounding this team, and not enough grit.

They seemingly have already accepted their trophy, with the first game yet to be played.

The press conference I fear the most is Wade Phillips saying, "things just haven't gone our way, but we're still the best team".

We saw last year that the Cowboys began taking games too lightly, and you can see where it ended up.

I don't want to see that this year.

BlueBlazer

Reaction score
leeblair;2154351 said:
They seemingly have already accepted their trophy, with the first game yet to be played.

I'm not sure what gives you the idea the team has already accepted their trophy. The impression I've been getting is the they recognize the talent on the team and the commitment the owner has made to improve weak areas. They are pissed at themselves for losing the playoff game and seem more determined than ever to take nothing for granted.

Mansta54

Reaction score
leeblair;2154351 said:
Yes, it does.

I worry that there is too much hype surrounding this team, and not enough grit.

The press conference I fear the most is Wade Phillips saying, "things just haven't gone our way, but we're still the best team".

We saw last year that the Cowboys began taking games too lightly, and you can see where it ended up.

I don't want to see that this year.

I don't know where you're getting your info or why you think our Boyz are bigheaded cause I don't see that at all. I see a YOUNG, HUNGRY, CONFIDENT, TALENTED team who's anxious to prove that they're damn good after coming so clsoe last season. I think last season is great motovation for them this year. I want to see them confident and yes, a lil cocky about themselves. This team is right where they need to be, on the edge of greatness. This year they take it to the next level.. Relax and enjoy the ride!!!:starspin

leeblair

Reaction score
I hope you are right. Given Wade's history of the past, I can't help but feel a little apprehension heading into the season.

Wade has a history of getting worse as his tenure wears on, and it's happened more than once.

So, guarding against a letdown is definitely a concern.

We are an injury at reciever position away from disaster if we had to go without T.O. for an extended period of time. It could hurt the passing game terribly if one of the younger guys doesn't step up.

All I'm saying is that it won't be easy, despite the talent we have. Talent wise, this team is as strong as the 92' Cowboys.

Coaching wise, they are not.

Thats always a worry.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
leeblair;2154606 said:
I hope you are right. Given Wade's history of the past, I can't help but feel a little apprehension heading into the season.

Wade has a history of getting worse as his tenure wears on, and it's happened more than once.

We are an injury at reciever position away from disaster if we had to go without T.O. for an extended period of time. It could hurt the passing game terribly if one of the younger guys doesn't step up.

All I'm saying is that it won't be easy, despite the talent we have. Talent wise, this team is as strong as the 92' Cowboys.

Thats always a worry.

The '92 Cowboys may have been the deepest in league history. You can't have that nowadays, but Jerry has done a fine job of stacking this roster.

As far as an injury to TO, every team has a player or two they cannot afford to lose. The Cowboys are no different in that regard.

The coaching staff has been upgraded with tried and true experts the likes of Campo and Houck. It's all good.

Are we guaranteed of anything? No, that's why the games are played. But there's no doubt in my mind that the Cowboys know what they're up against and that it won't be easy. They also know that beating themselves will make this year end just like the last.

redskins1

Benched
Reaction score
Mansta54;2154386 said:
I don't know where you're getting your info or why you think our Boyz are bigheaded cause I don't see that at all. I see a YOUNG, HUNGRY, CONFIDENT, TALENTED team who's anxious to prove that they're damn good after coming so clsoe last season. I think last season is great motovation for them this year. I want to see them confident and yes, a lil cocky about themselves. This team is right where they need to be, on the edge of greatness. This year they take it to the next level.. Relax and enjoy the ride!!!:starspin

this is a bunch of BS.this team is owned and coached by jerry jones who is as big headed and over confident as they come.his attitude trickles down to the lockerroom and then coach jones players parlay that on to the field,and it will happen again this year!!

Mansta54

Reaction score
redskins1;2154801 said:
this is a bunch of BS.this team is owned and coached by jerry jones who is as big headed and over confident as they come.his attitude trickles down to the lockerroom and then coach jones players parlay that on to the field,and it will happen again this year!!

Again, CLULESS to the game. Yep, you're right, JJ designed and ran the defense and he also guided the O to the No.2 ranked offense in the league. Yep, it was JJ.. Amazing!! Your lack of football knowledge leaks out with each one of your senseless post..

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
redskins1;2154801 said:

anyoneelsetiredofreadingthisstupidredskintrollsincoherentbabbling

Mansta54

Reaction score
zrinkill;2154827 said:
anyoneelsetiredofreadingthisstupidredskintrollsincoherentbabbling

Yes!! But it's kind of entertaining watching him make a ARSE of himself..:laugh2:

rpntex

Reaction score
leeblair;2154606 said:

Thats always a worry.

This team is not close to the '92 Cowboys, and never will be, due to the salary cap. Jimmy didn't have to mess with one, and therefore had talent on the bench that was better than a LOT of starters in the league. I agree they are talented, probably moreso than any other Cowboy team since the cap's inception.

As for the rest of your assertions, I think this team is more than motivated by the reminder of their postseason last year.

Tovya

Reaction score
Mansta54;2154879 said:
Yes!! But it's kind of entertaining watching him make a ARSE of himself..:laugh2:

He should take a cue from my Commanders fan of an uncle... in his own words last season when he said of the 'Skins that, "these b-----ds suck". At least he's honest about his 'Skins when they are getting owned.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
redskins1;2154801 said:
chriscooley.jpg