All our coaching gurus. Why was DeMeco Ryans bailing us out with timeouts?

I think he thought they would hold us to a FG and he would get a chance for a FG like Baltimore did. Otherwise the decision really makes no sense to me. Did it possibly give him more time at the end, maybe but Dallas is not leting it run much lower than it did (given their position from which they scored the TD) with their timeouts, so while he gained more clock time, he lost time and options on last drive not being able to stop the clock.
Yeah that’s the thing, he doesn’t call those timeouts and we may have ended up kicking for a tie instead of scoring a goal ahead TD. However, It made sense to me for them to use the timeouts. He bet on a stop and fg, and leave his O time for their own.
 
Forgot who called the game maybe it was Olsen but he gave him props for it in the first half. I thought it was stupid then despite it working because your head coach went for a 62 yard field goal and it was either blocked or missed.

Does it again in the 2nd half….basically have us free timeouts.
:shrugs: maybe because he has a parlay on Draft Kings?
 
Forgot who called the game maybe it was Olsen but he gave him props for it in the first half. I thought it was stupid then despite it working because your head coach went for a 62 yard field goal and it was either blocked or missed.

Does it again in the 2nd half….basically have us free timeouts.
Unfortunately, it's because our defense sucks that bad. He believed his offense > our defense. Sucks, but he's right. :facepalm:
 
He was banking on his defense forcing a couple of incompletions(or sack) and ultimately a long FG.
 
I think the idea is that Dallas is going to score anyways and he Demeco wants to preserve some time on the clock for his team to score afterwards but I am not sure why he doesn’t trust his defense to get a stop. I think calling those timeouts relieved some pressure from the Dallas offense to calmly score the game winning touchdown so I was not a fan of taking the timeouts that early.
 
It was 100% stupid , there is no defending it. The scenario before the half and at the end of the game while similar were not identical.

The Texans were in a situation at the end of the game where each timeout that was called wasn’t going to lead to them doing more good than harm to their own situation. We have seen Schotty screw up the clock before. Calling timeouts to stop the clock was not intelligent. There is no guarantee the cowboys wouldn’t have screwed the situation up themselves.
 
He was banking on his defense forcing a couple of incompletions(or sack) and ultimately a long FG.
This is true. But it was at the point where even if they got an incompletion or two. The Cowboys could have still run the entire clock down anyways. So it didn’t make any sense - the risk vs reward wasn’t there
 
Forgot who called the game maybe it was Olsen but he gave him props for it in the first half. I thought it was stupid then despite it working because your head coach went for a 62 yard field goal and it was either blocked or missed.

Does it again in the 2nd half….basically have us free timeouts.
Because he is an idiot
 
I actually wanted to gauge the sites opinion on it because I thought it was stupid. But hearing Olsen made me think maybe people thought it was a good move. I agree much better after a win and going against a bad Buccs team. Hope we continue to see progress.
No way, it was stupid. Maybe he got high and thought Texans had the ball.
 
I was shocked the Texans handled it that way.

It was essentially a vote of "no confidence" in their defense. Which, ironically, worked to the benefit of the DAL offense.
I dunno man.. Ryans had a front row seat to what Dak and CD were doing in that second half so he knew better than any of us how much of a chance his defense had of stopping the Cowboys offense. I didn't think he was screwing anything up by taking the timeouts because had he not taken them the Cowboys would have just milked the clock down the a nub and either scored the winning TD or kicked the FG with zero time left.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,160
Messages
14,670,444
Members
24,227
Latest member
Nathaniel
Back
Top