All Pro Team

JonCJG

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9154598

Colts, Seahawks both land four on All-Pro team

NFL.com wire reports (Jan. 9, 2006) -- San Diego's Antonio Gates was the only unanimous choice to The Associated Press 2005 All-Pro team featuring four players each from conference leaders Indianapolis and Seattle.

The Chargers' brilliant tight end drew all 50 votes in balloting by a nationwide panel of sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL. Gates also made the team last year, with 32 1/2 votes.

He's joined by NFL Most Valuable Player Shaun Alexander. The Seattle running back, who also won the AP Offensive Player of the Year award, received 49 votes. And Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher, the Defensive Player of the Year, also was chosen on 49 ballots.

"This whole season was a blessing," said Urlacher, who rebounded from leg injuries in 2004 to lead the Bears to the NFC North crown.

Alexander made the team for the first time, while Urlacher was chosen for the third.

Peyton Manning was the All-Pro quarterback for the third straight time, getting 37 votes. He was joined by Colts center Jeff Saturday, defensive end Dwight Freeney and safety Bob Sanders. It was the first selection for Saturday and Sanders and the second for Freeney.

The other Seahawks were tackle Walter Jones, guard Steve Hutchinson and fullback Mack Strong. Jones made it for the third time, Hutchinson for the second, and Strong for the first.

"I came in and I had a bunch of 100-yard games real quick," Alexander said. "I felt like, gosh, I didn't feel like I was really running that hard. I went back and studied the film, and I realized it was because Mack would block his guy, and they would take that guy out because he had a migraine. And they'd bring in the backup, then the backup wouldn't really want to tackle me because he was worried about getting blocked by Mack."

No other team had more than two All-Pros. Denver, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, San Diego, Tampa Bay, Chicago and the New York Giants each had two. Carolina, Arizona, Buffalo, New England, Kansas City and Houston each had one. The Texans' kick returner, Jerome Mathis, was the only rookie selected.

"I would not have imagined having this good of a rookie season, but this is a great honor," Mathis said, "and I look forward to having a better 2006."

Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith, who shared the AP Comeback Player of the Year honor with Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi, received 44 votes. The other wideout was the Bengals' Chad Johnson.

Tackle Willie Anderson was the other Bengal on the squad. The Chiefs' Brian Waters and the Steelers' Alan Faneca got 18 votes apiece and tied for the other guard spot behind Hutchinson.

Tiki Barber of the Giants, the runner-up to Alexander for the league rushing title, was the other running back, his first selection.

Barber's teammate, defensive end Osi Umenyiora, made his debut as an All-Pro. So did San Diego defensive tackle Jamal Williams, but the other tackle, Richard Seymour, was chosen for the third successive year.

Urlacher's fellow Bears linebacker Lance Briggs made it for the first time, while the Buccaneers' Derrick Brooks was selected for the fifth time, the most of any of this year's All-Pros. Denver's Al Wilson was the second inside linebacker and also made his first All-Pro squad.

Joining Sanders in the secondary were Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey and Bucs cornerback Ronde Barber, Tiki's twin. Both Bailey and Barber repeated; Barber also made it in 2001. For Polamalu, it was his first selection.

Along with Mathis on special teams were record-setting kicker Neil Rackers of the Cardinals and Bills punter Brian Moorman, both first-timers. Rackers broke the NFL's single-season field goal record with 40. He missed just twice all season.

In all, there were 16 representatives from the AFC and 12 from the NFC.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Probably not popular, but I think I may have chosen Dwight Freeny or even Michael Strahan over Brian U.

jlust22

Reaction score
OFFENSE

Quarterback

Peyton Manning, Indianapolis, 37 1/2; Tom Brady, New England, 10 1/2; Carson Palmer, Cincinnati, 2.

Running Backs

Shaun Alexander, Seattle, 49; Tiki Barber, NY Giants, 43; Larry Johnson, Kansas City, 4; LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego, 3.

Fullback

Mack Strong, Seattle, 28; Lorenzo Neal, San Diego, 16; Kyle Johnson, Denver, 2; Tony Richardson, Kansas City, 1; Damian Shelton, Buffalo, 1; Dan Kreider, Pittsburgh, 1; Greg Jones, Jacksonville, 1.

Tight End

Antonio Gates, San Diego, 50.

Wide Receivers

Steve Smith, Carolina, 44 1/2; Chad Johnson, Cincinnati, 19; Santana Moss, Washington, 15; Marvin Harrison, Indianapolis, 13; Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona, 3 1/2; Torry Holt, St. Louis, 3; Hines Ward, Pittsburgh, 1; Rod Smith, Denver, 1.

Tackles

Walter Jones, Seattle, 47; Willie Anderson, Cincinnati, 30; William Roaf, Kansas City, 11; Jon Jansen, Washington, 4; Jonathan Ogden, Baltimore, 3; Chris Samuels, Washington, 3; Orlando Pace, St. Louis, 1; Levi Jones, Cincinnati, 1.

Guards

Steve Hutchinson, Seattle, 40; Alan Faneca, Pittsburgh, 18; Brian Waters, Kansas City, 18; Will Shields, Kansas City, 13; Randy Thomas, Washington, 4; Larry Allen, Dallas, 2; Mike Wahle, Carolina, 2; Kynan Forney, Atlanta, 1; Eric Steinbach, Cincinnati, 1; Chris Snee, NY Giants, 1.

Center

Jeff Saturday, Indianapolis, 28; Olin Kreutz, Chicago, 10; Tom Nalen, Denver, 6; Jeff Hartings, Pittsburgh, 5; Shaun O'Hara, NY Giants, 1.

Placekicker

Neil Rackers, Arizona, 46; Shayne Graham, Cincinnati, 2; Mike Vanderjagt, Indianapolis, 1; David Akers, Philadelphia, 1.

Kick Returner

Jerome Mathis, Houston, 23, Terrence McGee, Buffalo, 19; Koren Robinson, Minnesota, 5; Dante Hall, Kansas City, 1; Adam Jones, Tennessee, 1; Eddie Drummond, Detroit, 1.

DEFENSE

Ends

Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis, 35; Osi Umenyiora, NY Giants, 20; Michael Strahan, NY Giants, 17; Derrick Burgess, Oakland, 9; Julius Peppers, Carolina, 8; Robert Mathis, Indianapolis, 3; Jason Taylor, Miami, 3; Kyle Vanden Bosch, Tennessee, 2; Adewale Ogunleye, Chicago, 1; Alex Brown, Chicago, 1; Richard Seymour, New England, 1.

Tackles

Richard Seymour, New England, 19; Jamal Williams, San Diego, 19; Tommie Harris, Chicago, 15; Rod Coleman, Atlanta, 14; Marcus Stroud, Jacksonville, 11; Shaun Rogers, Detroit, 8; John Henderson, Jacksonville, 3; Pat Williams, Minnesota, 3; Casey Hampton, Pittsburgh, 2; Cornelius Griffin, Washington, 2; La'Roi Glover, Dallas, 1; Ted Washington, Oakland, 1; Ian Scott, Chicago, 1; Rocky Bernard, Seattle, 1.

Outside Linebackers

Lance Briggs, Chicago, 28; Derrick Brooks, Tampa Bay, 23; Cato June, Indianapolis, 20; Joey Porter, Pittsburgh 10; Shawne Merriman, San Diego, 9; Keith Brooking, Atlanta, 2; Marcus Washington, Washington, 2; Keith Bulluck, Tennessee, 1; DaMarcus Ware, Dallas, 1; Clark Haggans, Pittsburgh, 1; Adalius Thomas, Baltimore, 1; Rosevelt Colvin, New England, 1; Ian Gold, Denver, 1.

Inside Linebacker

Brian Urlacher, Chicago, 49; Al Wilson, Denver, 23; Zach Thomas, Miami, 8; Mike Peterson, Jacksonville, 4; Antonio Pierce, NY Giants, 3; Lofa Tatupu, Seattle, 3; Larry Foote, Pittsburgh, 2; Donnie Edwards, San Diego, 2; Mike Vrabel, New England, 1; Keith Brooking, Atlanta, 1; Odell Thurman, Cincinnati, 1; Jeremiah Trotter, Philadelphia, 1; James Farrior, Pittsburgh, 1;

Cornerbacks

Champ Bailey, Denver, 29; Ronde Barber, Tampa Bay, 23; Nathan Vasher, Chicago, 21; Deltha O'Neal, Cincinnati, 13; DeAngelo Hall, Atlanta, 7; Ty Law, NY Jets, 3; Ken Lucas, Carolina, 2; Charles Tillman, Chicago, 1; Brian Kelly, Tampa Bay, 1.

Safeties

Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh, 37; Bob Sanders, Indianapolis, 22; Darren Sharper, Minnesota, 11; Mike Brown, Chicago, 10; John Lynch, Denver, 7; Adrian Wilson, Arizona, 4; Sean Taylor, Washington, 4; Roy Williams, Dallas, 2; Ed Reed, Baltimore, 1; Brian Dawkins, Philadelphia, 1; Nathan Vasher, Chicago, 1.

Punter

Brian Moorman, Buffalo, 31; Josh Bidwell, Tampa Bay, 6; Shane Lechler, Oakland, 5; Josh Miller, New England, 2; Mike Scifres, San Diego, 1; Todd Sauerbrun, Denver, 1; Jeff Feagles, NY Giants, 1; Donnie Jones, Dolphins, 1; Nick Harris, Detroit, 1; Jason Baker, Carolina, 1.

jimmy40

Reaction score
123456 said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9154598

Colts, Seahawks both land four on All-Pro team

NFL.com wire reports (Jan. 9, 2006) -- San Diego's Antonio Gates was the only unanimous choice to The Associated Press 2005 All-Pro team featuring four players each from conference leaders Indianapolis and Seattle.

The Chargers' brilliant tight end drew all 50 votes in balloting by a nationwide panel of sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL. Gates also made the team last year, with 32 1/2 votes.

He's joined by NFL Most Valuable Player Shaun Alexander. The Seattle running back, who also won the AP Offensive Player of the Year award, received 49 votes. And Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher, the Defensive Player of the Year, also was chosen on 49 ballots.

"This whole season was a blessing," said Urlacher, who rebounded from leg injuries in 2004 to lead the Bears to the NFC North crown.

Alexander made the team for the first time, while Urlacher was chosen for the third.

Peyton Manning was the All-Pro quarterback for the third straight time, getting 37 votes. He was joined by Colts center Jeff Saturday, defensive end Dwight Freeney and safety Bob Sanders. It was the first selection for Saturday and Sanders and the second for Freeney.

The other Seahawks were tackle Walter Jones, guard Steve Hutchinson and fullback Mack Strong. Jones made it for the third time, Hutchinson for the second, and Strong for the first.

"I came in and I had a bunch of 100-yard games real quick," Alexander said. "I felt like, gosh, I didn't feel like I was really running that hard. I went back and studied the film, and I realized it was because Mack would block his guy, and they would take that guy out because he had a migraine. And they'd bring in the backup, then the backup wouldn't really want to tackle me because he was worried about getting blocked by Mack."

No other team had more than two All-Pros. Denver, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, San Diego, Tampa Bay, Chicago and the New York Giants each had two. Carolina, Arizona, Buffalo, New England, Kansas City and Houston each had one. The Texans' kick returner, Jerome Mathis, was the only rookie selected.

"I would not have imagined having this good of a rookie season, but this is a great honor," Mathis said, "and I look forward to having a better 2006."

Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith, who shared the AP Comeback Player of the Year honor with Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi, received 44 votes. The other wideout was the Bengals' Chad Johnson.

Tackle Willie Anderson was the other Bengal on the squad. The Chiefs' Brian Waters and the Steelers' Alan Faneca got 18 votes apiece and tied for the other guard spot behind Hutchinson.

Tiki Barber of the Giants, the runner-up to Alexander for the league rushing title, was the other running back, his first selection.

Barber's teammate, defensive end Osi Umenyiora, made his debut as an All-Pro. So did San Diego defensive tackle Jamal Williams, but the other tackle, Richard Seymour, was chosen for the third successive year.

Urlacher's fellow Bears linebacker Lance Briggs made it for the first time, while the Buccaneers' Derrick Brooks was selected for the fifth time, the most of any of this year's All-Pros. Denver's Al Wilson was the second inside linebacker and also made his first All-Pro squad.

Joining Sanders in the secondary were Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey and Bucs cornerback Ronde Barber, Tiki's twin. Both Bailey and Barber repeated; Barber also made it in 2001. For Polamalu, it was his first selection.

Along with Mathis on special teams were record-setting kicker Neil Rackers of the Cardinals and Bills punter Brian Moorman, both first-timers. Rackers broke the NFL's single-season field goal record with 40. He missed just twice all season.

In all, there were 16 representatives from the AFC and 12 from the NFC.
Who exactly votes on this?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Remember, sports writers probably get to see less football than a dedicated fan. Name recognition and players that make big plays on Monday night or play for a "name" team are going to get more votes.

I really wish the NFL would make the all-pro team the right way. Wait about a month after the season's over (they'd get a splash announcing it at the dead time the week after the pro bowl) and give one vote to each team's director of pro personnel. That would tell the fans who the best player at each position was for the previous season.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Glover gets a vote at tackle. No votes for Newman. Two votes for LA.

They need to take some folks' voting rights away because that is just stupid.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Glover gets a vote at tackle. No votes for Newman. Two votes for LA.

They need to take some folks' voting rights away because that is just stupid.

If they want to start taking votes away, they should start with the buffoons that didn't vote for Neil Rackers, especiall the one who voted for Akers. Rackers had one of the best seasons of any kicker in history.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
but I have a complaint with Champ Bailey being named an All-Pro instead of Newman, he got burnt more than Newman did this year

Shaun

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
but I have a complaint with Champ Bailey being named an All-Pro instead of Newman, he got burnt more than Newman did this year

I think just about everybody got burned more than Newman did.

cfujskins

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

Please. Newman couldn't hold Champ's jock.

cfujskins

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
THIS year Newman was a better CB than bailey

Bailey: INTs-8 TDs-2 TKLS-64 PassDef-15
Newman: INTs-3 TDs-0 TKLS-59 PassDef-14

And Champ only played 14 games to Newman's 16.

Is that a good enough reply for you?