Twitter: All reports suggest Byron Jones will reset the CB market

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Most are saying he'll become the highest-paid CB in league history ........this could be similar to when Champ Bailey started his career as a Commander but is mostly remembered as a Bronco.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ee-agency-nonquarterbacks-in-line-for-big-pay

NFL free agency: Byron Jones, Austin Hooper set for big paydays

Print
  • 0ap3000000978010.jpg
  • By Tom Pelissero
  • NFL.com reporter
  • Published: March 11, 2020 at 10:31 a.m.
  • Updated: March 11, 2020 at 12:21 p.m.

The NFL free agent marketplace is harder to project than it has been in years, according to dozens of NFL executives and others familiar with the landscape.

Many negotiations are on pause as everyone awaits the results of the players' ongoing vote to ratify a new collective bargaining agreement, which is now scheduled to end late Saturday night. Planning is challenging. And the twice-adjusted deadline for applying franchise and transition tags now butts up against the opening of the negotiating window at noon ET on Monday, setting the stage for a 52-hour free-for-all until the league year commences at 4 p.m. ET on March 18.

817Gill

Reaction score
I guess he's the present day Nnamdi Asomugha then. Let someone else pay him.
Literally lol. The Richard bump and run scheme was optimal for Jones as well, probably the best scheme for his strengths. If he is signed to a team that doesn't employ that scheme (most likely will happen), he is almost certain to take a step back. In fact he did after his hip surgery, PFF ranked him as the no 5 overall CB in 2018, down to 14 in 2019.

Let someone else throw 17M at him

Reaction score
I'd prefer to pay him over Cooper. But I don't think that's going to happen.

People say that if we let Cooper walk we wasted a first round draft pick. But if we let Jones walk, isn't it also a waste of a first round pick letting him go when he is in his prime?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd prefer to pay him over Cooper. But I don't think that's going to happen.

People say that if we let Cooper walk we wasted a first round draft pick. But if we let Jones walk, isn't it also a waste of a first round pick letting him go when he is in his prime?

No, because they got the full, five years out of that 1st round pick.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I guess he's the present day Nnamdi Asomugha then. Let someone else pay him.
I was thinking that. I think Byron is a fantastic corner but our defense wasn’t good with him on the field. Let him rest the market and overhaul the defense.

Reaction score
No, because they got the full, five years out of that 1st round pick.
I hear what you are saying but to me, either way you are letting a first round pick walk in his prime. To me, it's the same.

It's easier to find a good WR than a good CB, especially in this draft. If Cee Dee Lamb is there at #17 as some mocks suggest, I'd be all over it. We would be better with Lamb/Jones than with Cooper/CB because by all indications the top 2 guys (Okudah & Henderson) will be gone. Then there is a huge drop off.

It's just my opinion. I know it's not going to happen. Jones is almost certainly gone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear what you are saying but to me, either way you are letting a first round pick walk in his prime. To me, it's the same.

It's easier to find a good WR than a good CB, especially in this draft. If Cee Dee Lamb is there at #17 as some mocks suggest, I'd be all over it. We would be better with Lamb/Jones than with Cooper/CB because by all indications the top 2 guys (Okudah & Henderson) will be gone. Then there is a huge drop off.

It's just my opinion. I know it's not going to happen. Jones is almost certainly gone.

I certainly don't fault you for having an opinion. Especially when you present it in such a reasonable way.

What I can't get past would be using two consecutive 1st round picks and having one rookie wide receiver to show for it.

That and overpaying Byron Jones as the best cornerback in football when he isn't. No bueno.

Reaction score
I certainly don't fault you for having an opinion. Especially when you present it in such a reasonable way.

What I can't get past would be using two consecutive 1st round picks and having one rookie wide receiver to show for it.

That and overpaying Byron Jones as the best cornerback in football when he isn't. No bueno.
Both Jones and Cooper are going to be overpaid. One by the Cowboys and one by somebody else. I just prefer the Cowboys overpay Jones.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I was thinking that. I think Byron is a fantastic corner but our defense wasn’t good with him on the field. Let him rest the market and overhaul the defense.
Top-10 against the run and the pass, per attempt, but ok

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I like him, he is a very SOLID CB, and he is an outstanding person to have in the locker room. BUT, this isnt Deion Primetime Sanders we are talking about. he never gets picks... he is not a game changer, so if someone wants to set the CB market with him, go for it. As long as it isnt the Dallas Cowboy paying him, Im good.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If the reports are correct then we can just shack hands and move on from Byron. Thank you for your time.

quickccc

Reaction score
Literally lol. The Richard bump and run scheme was optimal for Jones as well, probably the best scheme for his strengths. If he is signed to a team that doesn't employ that scheme (most likely will happen), he is almost certain to take a step back. In fact he did after his hip surgery, PFF ranked him as the no 5 overall CB in 2018, down to 14 in 2019.

Let someone else throw 17M at him

the bump and run scheme is not only easiest for Jones, but may be the only scheme he can play well in. Seems to have his issues when he's off line and in zone coverage.
Never forget the clueless drift away from area TE Jared Cook settled in for the giant gain from Rodgers that set up the winning FG for GB.
and he's always been stationed and designed at the line whether safety or CB. Doesn't feel comfortable otherwise.

And if Byron becomes highest paid CB over the likes of Ramsey, Gilmore, etc. what does that tell you about the exceeding market of the NFL team cap that is ever going up, as well as how desperate teams are in be willing to Overpay for a very solid coverage CB , especially one that will never get you turnover for probably the rest of his NFL career ?
That also tells you how badly the Cowboys are insisting on getting both top coverage and a turnover playmaker in their defense.

I could be proven way wrong but I don't see the Cowboys re-signing Byron to that excessive amount as highest paid CB.