Twitter: All reports suggest Byron Jones will reset the CB market

817Gill

Reaction score
the bump and run scheme is not only easiest for Jones, but may be the only scheme he can play well in. Seems to have his issues when he's off line and in zone coverage.
Never forget the clueless drift away from area TE Jared Cook settled in for the giant gain from Rodgers that set up the winning FG for GB.
and he's always been stationed and designed at the line whether safety or CB. Doesn't feel comfortable otherwise.

And if Byron becomes highest paid CB over the likes of Ramsey, Gilmore, etc. what does that tell you about the exceeding market of the NFL team cap that is ever going up, as well as how desperate teams are in be willing to Overpay for a very solid coverage CB , especially one that will never get you turnover for probably the rest of his NFL career ?
That also tells you how badly the Cowboys are insisting on getting both top coverage and a turnover playmaker in their defense.

I could be proven way wrong but I don't see the Cowboys re-signing Byron to that excessive amount as highest paid CB.
Dude exactly, BJ is all athlete and bump and run technique. He’s not a good zone corner and has below average instincts, Barry Church who was his teammate for 3 years said Byron lacks football instinct on the last Cowboys podcast. That’s too much of a con to ignore for me, makes no sense to think he’s a top 5-7 CB in any other scheme

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Old news. These stories just keep going around & around & around....
He's done in Dallas. Move on already.

Mr_437

Reaction score
A lot of fans don't know how valuable BJ... Cowboys neither. Nobody on this forces turnovers at a good clip, but yeah get rid of the guy who keeps #1 WRs from going bonkers on your secondary. Dak n Amari better up 40 burgers.

Break the bank BJ, and go to a contender like Damien n Hitch.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I like Byron and want him back, but this reads like his Agent wrote it. There are a lot of smoke screens this time of year, just like the time leading up to the draft.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
3rd round comp pick here we come
Maybe, but I could also see them bring in an older who will be cheaper like Harris, or a talented guy like Waynes that hasnt played to his draft spot. That would factor in to the comp equation

I think they will be willing to spend some short term money at the position. I think the biggest thing with Jones is giving him that money long term

SSoup

Reaction score
Cornerbacks get so abused in today's NFL, I honestly feel like the move is to never get sucked into paying insane money for one. And if you ever do break that rule, it should be on the basis of a very short contract when you have the luxury of adding some great corner in an attempt to put you over the top for the next year or two -- but not committing to a long enough deal to get left holding the bag.

I feel like it's kind of like investing heavily in pitchers if you're the Colorado Rockies. The circumstances are tilted so strongly in favor of the guys they're facing off with, it's too likely any given one of them (if not every one of them) will crater and tank. Even if they burst onto the scene looking strong, once more film of them gets out and there's a book on how to approach them and they start getting knocked around, there's too much risk of them going bad.

nobody

Reaction score
No, because they got the full, five years out of that 1st round pick.

Sadly, the first couple of those was wasted on the idiotic position flex garbage that Garrett had romantic feelings for. It definitely hampered Jones' growth as a CB

Creeper

Reaction score
I like Byron Jones and I am not that heartbroken over his lack of interceptions. But like Dak and Amari, I don't want to reset the market to resign him. If the Eagles pay Jones $18 million good for them. I don't think he is worth that much. If Jones wants to hang around and play for the Cowboys for $14 million, I would find a way to pay him. I have always said, I would pay Jones big money of Amari Cooper. If Cooper wants more than $15 million, then sign Jones and let Cooper go.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You can almost bet Jones will turn into an INT machine when he leaves the Cowboys. Brandon Carr had 4 picks his first year with the Ravens.

SSoup

Reaction score
You can almost bet Jones will turn into an INT machine when he leaves the Cowboys. Brandon Carr had 4 picks his first year with the Ravens.
To be fair, Carr's 4-INT season, a career best, wasn't that far off from the multiple 3-INT seasons he gave us. If Byron leaves us and shocks the world by intercepting 1 more pass for his new team than he managed here, it would hardly qualify as him turning into an INT machine.

It's probably not a coincidence that Carr gave us 3 picks per year his first couple of seasons here, and then the wheels fell off when we lost good pass-rushers and our pass-rush wilted. Ware, Spencer, and Hatcher all posted double-digit sack seasons during his first couple years, which were the years Carr posted 3 picks each season. In his last 3 years, when he stopped intercepting passes, our leading pass-rusher never cracked double digits.

Life's rough for cornerbacks whose teams let the pass-rush in front of them go bad. Which is partly why re-signing Byron for big money that makes us less likely to keep (or adequately replace) Quinn, jeopardizing our pass-rush, feels like such a losing proposition to some of us.

But also, for all this talk of Carr being an INT machine for other teams and us ruining him? Carr only averaged 2 picks per year for the Chiefs and 2 picks per year for the Ravens. He averaged 1-point-something for us, which is worse but only barely. He was fundamentally the same basic player for us that he was for them.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I like Byron Jones and I am not that heartbroken over his lack of interceptions. But like Dak and Amari, I don't want to reset the market to resign him. If the Eagles pay Jones $18 million good for them. I don't think he is worth that much. If Jones wants to hang around and play for the Cowboys for $14 million, I would find a way to pay him. I have always said, I would pay Jones big money of Amari Cooper. If Cooper wants more than $15 million, then sign Jones and let Cooper go.

If the egirls sign Jones to $18M or more, hopefully it will be bad for them.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To be fair, Carr's 4-INT season, a career best, wasn't that far off from the multiple 3-INT seasons he gave us.

He also had 4 INT’s with KC prior to coming to Dallas. In four seasons with KC he had 8 INTs. In five seasons with the Cowboys he had 7 INTs. In three seasons with Baltimore he has 6 INTs.

SSoup

Reaction score
He also had 4 INT’s with KC prior to coming to Dallas. In four seasons with KC he had 8 INTs. In five seasons with the Cowboys he had 7 INTs. In three seasons with Baltimore he has 6 INTs.
Yes, the part of my post where I explained he averaged 2 picks per season with KC and BAL and 1-point-something for us explained that.