All we've done is replace Hatcher

JBS

Reaction score
Agreed. All we've done is replace Hatcher. We're a worse team right now than before free agency started.

This is a direct result of our limited cap room and the cap hell we're living in that some choose to acknowledge while the usual suspects pretend isn't there.

It was our plan to be worse now.

There isn't any question that we are a worse team now... The good news is, we weren't any good before... We have gotten younger and cheaper and this at least gives us a chance to rebuild this thing in 2-3 years without depending on washed up players. .

Granted, this means we have to operate functionally as an organization for this plan to work, which seems unlikely... But at least this gives us a shot, even if it's a small one going forward... This team didn't have any chance previously

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Only thing this signing does is HOPEFULLY replace our best player on D last year. Mind you that Melton has a long way to go to getting those 11.5 sacks.

That being said the defense was a train wreck even with hatcher last year so I think the team still needs to focus on DE. However my #1 pick would be Mosely. We desparately need LB. Lee May have a put up or shut up year if he can't stay healthy. Holloman MAY be a good player but I could go for 3 new starters at LB that aren't on this team.

My only hope is that Wilcox and Heath will be better with a full offseason and thus I don't think we'll go after Pryor or Dix.

Also I only want Martin if I thought we'd run it more but Linehan isn't likely to do that so give me a Kelvin Benjamin or Martin

Basically to sum it up, Melton is nice but that only means the team hasn't regressed from last seasons D which was the situation we were in prior to this. They certainly haven't gotten better yet. And we only stay even par if Melton puts up 11.5 sacks.

We may have done more than that we get a 27 year old player as opposed to a 31 year old player.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Only thing this signing does is HOPEFULLY replace our best player on D last year. Mind you that Melton has a long way to go to getting those 11.5 sacks.

That being said the defense was a train wreck even with hatcher last year so I think the team still needs to focus on DE. However my #1 pick would be Mosely. We desparately need LB. Lee May have a put up or shut up year if he can't stay healthy. Holloman MAY be a good player but I could go for 3 new starters at LB that aren't on this team.

My only hope is that Wilcox and Heath will be better with a full offseason and thus I don't think we'll go after Pryor or Dix.

Also I only want Martin if I thought we'd run it more but Linehan isn't likely to do that so give me a Kelvin Benjamin or Martin

Basically to sum it up, Melton is nice but that only means the team hasn't regressed from last seasons D which was the situation we were in prior to this. They certainly haven't gotten better yet. And we only stay even par if Melton puts up 11.5 sacks.

Melton is 27. Hatcher 32.
Hatcher had 1 good year, Melton is one of the best 3-Tech in the game.
Melton played for Marinelli in Chicago where he went to the ProBowl.
Melton comes at a bargain, Hatcher would have cost way too much.

If not for his injury and for his off field incident we have the better player for way less money.
First time in years this team made a good contract. I hope we stay this way in our approach of FA and the draft.

JBond

Reaction score
I'm confused on why you would need to quote Risen Star or anyone at all to make note of this? Isn't that more common sense than revelation?

Not really based on the euphoria surrounding the Melton signing . We picked up a guy coming off a major injury that has never reached the production level of Hatcher (a JAG except for his contract year). Some goobers keep claiming that the salary cap is fiction and does not effect which players we retain or sign. The ineptitude of the Jerry Jones the GM is continually written off here. Common sense is not that common at the Zone.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not really based on the euphoria surrounding the Melton signing . We picked up a guy coming off a major injury that has never reached the production level of Hatcher (a JAG except for his contract year). Some goobers keep claiming that the salary cap is fiction and does not effect which players we retain or sign. The ineptitude of the Jerry Jones the GM is continually written off here. Common sense is not that common at the Zone.

I like Hatcher but he had 1 good year beyond that what did he do? Melton is younger and has already made the pro bowl within his first 4 years. As for the injury a lot of players go through ACL and make recoveries. He has been working in rehab and should be ready to go for camp.

JBond

Reaction score
Melton is 27. Hatcher 32.
Hatcher had 1 good year, Melton is one of the best 3-Tech in the game.
Melton played for Marinelli in Chicago where he went to the ProBowl.
Melton comes at a bargain, Hatcher would have cost way too much.

If not for his injury and for his off field incident we have the better player for way less money.
First time in years this team made a good contract. I hope we stay this way in our approach of FA and the draft.

Best in the game? Really? Good grief. I am glad we signed a body. We had to get someone, but to pretend he is the best DT in the NFL is a gigantic reach.

JBond

Reaction score
I like Hatcher but he had 1 good year beyond that what did he do? Melton is younger and has already made the pro bowl within his first 4 years. As for the injury a lot of players go through ACL and make recoveries. He has been working in rehab and should be ready to go for camp.

I wonder how many of our player would have made the Pro Bowl with better coaching. Imagine if we had Marinelli the past 6 years.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
We really need some help at DE now. We cant go into the season with Selvie and Crawford as our DEs.

I am not familiar with the DEs in this draft, is there a DE not named Clowny that is any good and available at 16?

I'm hoping Barr falls to us.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I wonder how many of our player would have made the Pro Bowl with better coaching. Imagine if we had Marinelli the past 6 years.

I don't know I guess we could play the guessing game all day and not know but the fact is Melton is not some Jag he is a pro bowl caliber player who has produced early in his career, he is 27 not 31 as Hatcher is who really did not do much and was not even a starter for much of the time. He played under BP and Wade Phillips and while Wade may not be a great HC he is one of the more respected defensive coaches in the league. I don't get where Melton has not reached the level of Hatcher because again outside of last season Hatcher numbers were not great.

JBond

Reaction score
I don't know I guess we could play the guessing game all day and not know but the fact is Melton is not some Jag he is a pro bowl caliber player who has produced early in his career, he is 27 not 31 as Hatcher is who really did not do much and was not even a starter for much of the time. He played under BP and Wade Phillips and while Wade may not be a great HC he is one of the more respected defensive coaches in the league. I don't get where Melton has not reached the level of Hatcher because again outside of last season Hatcher numbers were not great.

I admit I have not seen a ton of Melton, but his stats are very pedestrian. Yes he is younger than Hatcher, which is good, but we still have major cap issues and the escalations in his contract most likely make him a one year rental.
It is not a horrible signing, but people are acting like he is stud. He is just a guy that played OK under Marinelli in Chicago. Career highs of 6 sacks and 44 tackles are not overly impressive considering the coaching he received. Again we needed bodies, but he is not going to light the world on fire just because he has a star on his helmet.

RS12

Reaction score
With no cap money and free agency consisting of basically players the former team didnt want or couldnt afford, were you expecting the recreation of Doomsday?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I admit I have not seen a ton of Melton, but his stats are very pedestrian. Yes he is younger than Hatcher, which is good, but we still have major cap issues and the escalations in his contract most likely make him a one year rental.
It is not a horrible signing, but people are acting like he is stud. He is just a guy that played OK under Marinelli in Chicago. Career highs of 6 sacks and 44 tackles are not overly impressive considering the coaching he received. Again we needed bodies, but he is not going to light the world on fire just because he has a star on his helmet.

we don't know that, if he plays great then sorry i don't mind paying for a top player, if he fails we walk away no loss. I don't see the downside to this at all, Dallas has an option and it is up to Melton to produce at a Pro Bowl level as he has before. He gets to do it with his old DC in a system he knows very well. What if we kept Hatcher and he resorted back to his play prior to last year? He is 31 had had 1 good season and people act as if we lost the defensive stud. Hatcher is a good guy I like him but in all his years he has done little yet now we get a guy who in his 1st contract he makes the Pro Bowl yet he is a jag? lol

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think we can't go wrong drafting almost any defensive position outside of corner.

I think if the value is there, taking a corner later in the draft is not a bad move at all.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Best in the game? Really? Good grief. I am glad we signed a body. We had to get someone, but to pretend he is the best DT in the NFL is a gigantic reach.

Can you not read? He didn't say the best.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
With no cap money and free agency consisting of basically players the former team didnt want or couldnt afford, were you expecting the recreation of Doomsday?

You literally described free agency for every team. Every player is either a guy that wasn't wanted anymore or was unaffordable.

Your statement of "no cap money" is also patently false.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
Not dependable. 4 years 4 injuries. Maybe he just can't handle the workload.

He also was injured his senior year in college, too.

Or are you already counting that?

I love the guy..

..best LBer since Leroy Jordan.

But they have to help him cut down on his snaps or something.

We need him to get to the playoffs if there is any chance of that this year.