Alternate Thought: The Jones+ Will McClay have a plan. Watching it work?

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Suppose for a minute the angry negative fan feedback,(we're all unhappy right now) is missing a few ideas that the steaming and radio commentators may have overlooked.

1.) The Cowboys were fat dumb and happy taking the field against the Packers and a shakeup was warranted.Kellen Moore was fired (yes he was!not "mutually" anything) after two poor offensive performances against the 49ers and Dan Quinn, as much as we might like him, alllowed a too-light too-soft no LB defense to get run over by Buffalo,Miami and even Detroit on the last drive, saved only by the 3 two point plays at the end(but CeeDee's fumble through the endzone and Wilson's late clutch Int. should have had it put it away early.
Quinn doesn't escape culpability because the reporters like him.We ended the season too soft on Defense.

2.) Even McClay gets a piece of the blame,the Cowboys were the playoff team least enhanced by 2023 rookie contributions entering the playoffs.Detroit,LAR & G.B. had major contributors from their rookie class.

3.) Dak was down 20-0 before he threw the pick 6 to end all chances at 27-0,maybe the defense shares some blame here.

4.)The offensive line and the running backs did not produce enough to give the QB and WRs a chance to compete,consequently two OLs are gone and there is hope available in the best OL draft in a decade,and four young unproven names are under personal pressure to compete: TJ Bass,Hoffman,Richards and Waletzko.

5.)The 10.2 million dollar RB gave us nothing,now he's gone.A bigger stronger,cheaper fresh-legged replacement will take his place.Dowdle will backup and Leupke will get better or be replaced by a rookie power runner, we must run the ball in 2024.

The whole team is now on notice, many on one year contract year situations,this is good business practice when a team or company is underperforming.

MM is not necessarily out of favor at all,12-5 (x3) is not easily matched by a new hot young guy(See the NYG) & his play calling was a plus for Dak in 2023
The development of Trey Lance is his responsibility after a career resume of coaching Joe Montana,Brett Favre and Aaron Rogers.

The offseason holds four distinct pathways for improving a team,(1.)Early, F.A.(2.) The draft (3.)Post Draft UDFA period (4.) Post draft veteran cuts.

Give the team time to develop.Take heart,its draft week.

Time for a ray of Silver Blue optimism.

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Are we still pretending Will McClay has say on things that happen?

He's just another guy stealing money off Jerry for doing the bare minimum.

There's a reason he refuses to take GM interviews with other teams every off-season. He might get asked actual GM questions and look foolish.

He prefers hims made up job being a Jerry yes man. It's a good gig if you can get it.

Also, this is just a Dak excuse thread made to try and not look like a Dak excuse thread.

shabazz

Reaction score
(we're all unhappy right now)

The offseason holds four distinct pathways for improving a team,(1.)Early, F.A.(2.) The draft (3.)Post Draft UDFA period (4.) Post draft veteran cuts.
To the first part about being unhappy? Not I......I love watching them blow this thing up

To the 2nd assertion, I'm not sure when you wrote this but (1) Early FA has already waived bye bye......

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There's a reason he refuses to take GM interviews with other teams every off-season. He might get asked actual GM questions and look foolish.

He prefers hims made up job being a Jerry yes man. It's a good gig if you can get it.

Also, this is just a Dak excuse thread made to try and not look like a Dak excuse thread.
McClay stealing money, a yes man, doesn’t know what he is doing. :lmao:

Not sure if a Dak excuse thread. But we know what it will turn into.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To the first part about being unhappy? Not I......I love watching them blow this thing up

To the 2nd assertion, I'm not sure when you wrote this but (1) Early FA has already waived bye bye......
Yeah probably most fans are unhappy, or just amazed but not in a good way how it has gone.
I been saying I am not even excited by the draft. I may not even watch all of it. May just go to a bar and kind of watch it from there.

Right now I am only interested in seeing how the schedule is laid out, and how Lance does in TC and PS games.

Big_D

Reaction score

It’s weird how everyone credits McClay and blames Jerry. They all make foolish draft decisions while thinking the joke of a pro bowl actually adds credibility to their drafting. Yet this is consistently a team that squanders every opportunity and closes every window. I don’t see a silver lining here. I see a bunch of holes and a front office that has no idea how to fix them. And the 2 biggest clowns are never on notice. Seems like McClay found himself a job for life. Why would he leave.

NorthDalal

Reaction score

I wrote it today and you should know we don't play early FA games.
The teams that do lose more than they gain,but the immediate gratification press ignore the real facts the Cowboys and real GM McClay already understand this.

We draft well,pay league tops in UDFA bonus and with 8-10 high draft OL this year will pounce on veteran cuts at training camp time, as needed as well.Remember Hankins,Cooks and Gilmore were all productive veteran late acquisitions.The trick is productive talent overperforming their contract numbers not the reverse too many teams pay great money for good.

About McClay: He earns GM money has one of the largest and highly paid staffs in the league,has a top notch medical surgical team on call, and despite last year they've drafted more NFL starters and Probowlers than any team in the league over a 5 year period.

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It’s weird how everyone credits McClay and blames Jerry. They all make foolish draft decisions while thinking the joke of a pro bowl actually adds credibility to their drafting. Yet this is consistently a team that squanders every opportunity and closes every window. I don’t see a silver lining here. I see a bunch of holes and a front office that has no idea how to fix them. And the 2 biggest clowns are never on notice. Seems like McClay found himself a job for life. Why would he leave.
Why everyone doesn't question why McClay don't take an actual GM job somewhere, or even an interview, but instead chooses to just be a figure head behind Jerry is beyond me.

It's obvious as can be that his job is simply to tell Jerry that he's doing a good job building the roster.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Why everyone doesn't question why McClay don't take an actual GM job somewhere, or even an interview, but instead chooses to just be a figure head behind Jerry is beyond me.

It's obvious as can be that his job is simply to tell Jerry that he's doing a good job building the roster.

Hasn’t he’s openly talked about it? It being that he had young children and established roots here and didn’t want to upend that. Now is that an excuse? Who knows.

Big_D

Reaction score
If MM is this wonderful QB guru that two or three fans here think he is, why does Dak still not know when to throw a ball away?
That’s definitely an odd thing for a guy heading into year 9. He’ll take a loss before he throws it away!

Big_D

Reaction score

Like I said, he has a pretty cush situation with no accountability. He’s a lifer. Specially when he gets all the credit opposed to the blame going to Jerry, Stephen and the HC.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
That’s definitely an odd thing for a guy heading into year 9. He’ll take a loss before he throws it away!
stat fans & his agent can blame the line or something else for a sack. throw away hurts the completion %. can't have that.

Big_D

Reaction score
stat fans & his agent can blame the line or something else for a sack. throw away hurts the completion %. can't have that.
If he’s doing it purposely, that’s even worse than not knowing any better.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McClay stealing money, a yes man, doesn’t know what he is doing. :lmao:

Not sure if a Dak excuse thread. But we know what it will turn into.
You should boot everyone who doesn't think Dak is a top 5 QB.
As it seems talking about Dak who happens to hold the most coveted position in any major Sport is a no-no with you Jazzy.............

Last edited: