Video: AM: Big Fan of Connor McGovern

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't know if he starts Day 1, but I think he's starting by the end of the year. Even so, he'll get significant playing time.
I'm kind of excited by the pick, actually. I like Garrett's philosophy of replenishing the offensive line. That's where football is won.
While the Commanders are collecting all these defensive linemen (many from Alabama), teams are going to need guys to block them.
I think we have a Super Bowl roster. Super Bowl coaching? :huh::facepalm:

Each of the last couple of drafts we took an olineman who fell. That's how we got Martin too. Not the sexiest picks, but good value.

Some of it is placing more value than most on oline, some of it is our personnel strategy of covering the team so we don't have to pick for positions as much, and much of it is just having more depth so that the needs are fewer and farther between. We're at the point where we're filling *next* year's needs.

We were light at 3T. Ok for this year, but definitely in need next year. The McGovern pick covers us for Collins leaving next year (or this year).

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I call Moore "Rudy". I'm not alone. Feel good movie of scrawny kid making the team.
rudy-1.jpg

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with this dude, but between this and Bob Sturm's good film review, I feel much better with this pick.

If it saves us $10m by not having to pay La'el then it might make even more sense. I agree with everyone saying let C. Williams and L. Collins battle at RT - along with Looney we will have better OL reserves than some teams have starters.

I like AKOYE's film breakdown. He specializes in the Cowboys.

With Collins still recovering, it's probably more of an audition for Williams than a competition. If Williams looks like he can handle it, we move on from Collins. 10mil is a nice chunk to save.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Agree overall but a couple of nitpicks, Dallas had a high second round grade on McGovern (where they rated Frederick as well). Dallas had no intention of drafting an OG but he was way to good to pass on at 90.

Also its really premature to push Williams off OG at the moment, rookies rarely start in the NFL and unless they are a high first rounder, they usually put up a rookie season like Williams did with real problems adjusting.

The most likely scenario is that McGovern is a rotational OG this year and the positions with him and Williams sort themselves out next year.

I don't think it's giving up on Williams, it's just moving him to T faster than planned. His season was fine. Younger than usual rookie playing a position that players usually have to grow into their full strength. If we hadn't picked up McGovern, I'd have had no qualms about starting Williams at LG this year.

You usually don't go rotational on the oline unless there is a problem.

The third round grade was referring to the NFL consensus, not the Cowboys.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He was what I considered our best draft pick and the one player I am most certain will make it.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He was what I considered our best draft pick and the one player I am most certain will make it.

And Webber IMO. Others may be more talented prospects but Webber is a safe bet. If what Rod Smith provided the previous 2 years is the baseline, Webber is a lock and definite upgrade.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And Webber IMO. Others may be more talented prospects but Webber is a safe bet. If what Rod Smith provided the previous 2 years is the baseline, Webber is a lock and definite upgrade.
I have my doubts about Weber.

Looks less than thrilled about getting drafted late. Might not buy in. Plus he looks a little chubby.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I love the pick.

I can't see Connor Williams holding him off unless he gained some serious strength.

McGovern is just a natural guard and we stole him in the 3rd round. I don't understand how he fell to that round.

Joe Looney should get a shot too. It should be a true wide open competition at Left Guard.

He's got some bad tape believe it or not...when I was scouting him...Penn St. had him playing some left tackle. He looked horrible. I wouldn't have even drafted him off that....since the draft...now your seeing him @ RG...and he looks pretty good.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
This pick potentially saves us a lot of cap from 2020 and beyond though, because if Williams can play RT and McGovern that guard spot then they can let Collins walk in FA.
Collins will also get his pay day and that reward, will net us a high compensatory pick.

Proof

Reaction score
For people who don't subscribe, this was Sturm's conclusion on McGovern:

Put me down as very impressed with McGovern after the film review. I cannot believe he was available at pick No. 90, because he is a plug-and-play starter and there are teams with far greater issues than the Cowboys on the offensive line. McGovern may be the steal of the 2019 NFL Draft throughout the league and could be the best player the Cowboys picked this weekend. Time will tell, but the tools are all there.

Yeah but what about the guy here who’s a penn state fan? Surely his opinion > This nationally respected sports journalist