Article: Amazon confirms it locked Microsoft engineer out of his Echo gear over false claim

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3SbNGXf.gif

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They don't say exactly what the driver "thought" he'd heard. I can't think of what inappropriate response he could have gotten from "Excuse me, can I help you?"

rags747

Reaction score
Lovely that AMZN can pull a stunt like that, they need to be fined a huge amount to set precedent. Bank accounts next?!

Creeper

Reaction score
We are allowing private companies to police our behavior. Scary. I received an Amazon Echo for a gift. I put it in the closet and refuse to hook it up. We have no idea with all these cameras and microphones around us who is listening or watching us in our own homes. I put tape over the cameras in laptops and tablets and only take it off when I need to use the camera myself. I have a case for my phone with a sliding tab that blocks the camera when I am not using it. Call me paranoid, I do not care but have you noticed the ads that you see sometimes coincide with products you may have mentioned in a conversation you had with you phone nearby? I have TVs with voice control. My FIOS remote has a microphone that activates without me touching the remote. I suspect the microphone is listening all or most of the time because the batteries in my remote die after just a month or so. Verizon does not have remotes without mics that work with their upgraded control boxes.

I do have cameras, with microphones, outside my house for security. But inside cameras are only on when I am away from home.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are allowing private companies to police our behavior. Scary. I received an Amazon Echo for a gift. I put it in the closet and refuse to hook it up. We have no idea with all these cameras and microphones around us who is listening or watching us in our own homes. I put tape over the cameras in laptops and tablets and only take it off when I need to use the camera myself. I have a case for my phone with a sliding tab that blocks the camera when I am not using it. Call me paranoid, I do not care but have you noticed the ads that you see sometimes coincide with products you may have mentioned in a conversation you had with you phone nearby? I have TVs with voice control. My FIOS remote has a microphone that activates without me touching the remote. I suspect the microphone is listening all or most of the time because the batteries in my remote die after just a month or so. Verizon does not have remotes without mics that work with their upgraded control boxes.

I do have cameras, with microphones, outside my house for security. But inside cameras are only on when I am away from home.
AI is the quintessential paradox of human experience. I feel your paranoia about privacy. There is very little left. We need privacy. I also tape over some device cameras. I turn off mic and camera settings in the BIOS/UEFI. One of my physical training apps has turned into a social app. ENOUGH!