Amazon Fire Stick vs Fire TV vs Cable vs Sattelite

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I currently have Dish as my TV provider and AT&T as internet.

Does anyone have the Amazon Fire Stick installed and aside from the original $39.99 cost is there any other monthly cost? Do you get everything on the fire stick - local plus????
How hard is it to find channels for shows?

Does anyone have the Amazon Fire TV installed? Same questions as above.

I have Dish currently. Costs about $60 plus a month for basic and HBO.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Also - With this connected to the internet. Are there issues with amounts of data being sent in - so AT&T would charge me for that?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you have a fire stick, or other similar things like Chromecast or roku and so on.

If you want Netflix, you will have to pay netflix a fee.
If you want Hulu, you will have to pay Hulu a fee
There are some services that are probably free on each stick (like Crackle and Youtube unless you want youtube red).

Also...I never had any internet data limit warnings on my home internet (and I watched a good number of stuff on youtube and the wife and I are on the net a great deal).
However when we both started watching netflix (and I watch netflix more than regular TV now) that first month we already got a warning that we were close to going over our limit so we
removed some movie channels and got unlimited data package and have had no issues since.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I only stream and I have no data issues.

I pay for Netflix and I already have Amazon Prime for shipping, so I get their free streaming (with Prime) stuff too.

If you've got friends with Plex servers, that's awesome too. My buddy hundreds of TV shows (all seasons mostly) and probably hundreds of movies. He is adding new stuff every day.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I cut the cord recently to save costs and I have a fire stick. You won't get local channels and there is a lot of free stuff out there. I have Netflix and I have Amazon Prime so I watch a lot their stuff. I also "hacked" the fire stick so I get movies and TV shows whenever I want. I don't have data limits. At least I don't think I do. I've never gotten a warning or anything like that. I tried Sling during a free 7-day trial. I wasn't impressed so I cancelled the service.

If you live close enough you can get an antenna and pull in the free over the air local channels in HD. I wasn't a big TV watching kind of guy anyway so I don't really miss the normal TV.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I have the Fire TV. I installed Kodi on it, which was much easier than I had anticipated.

Haven't really used it that much, but the content is there if you don't mind how you're getting them.

I know there's a VLC app you can install, and I'm going to try it out this weekend to see if I can plug in one of the VLC streams that are usually posted on Reddit. If so, the item pays for itself 3-times over every year because you can get every game.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Is the fire Stick just a one time cost?

As explained to you numerous times, you still need to access content. There are legal ways, like paying a monthly sub to Netflix, and illegal ways, which involves sideloading Kodi and installing piracy addons.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is the fire Stick just a one time cost?
The fire stick is a one time cost. There are apps that you can download to get you free content. You can also subscribe to paid content providers (Netflix, Hulu, Sling, etc). As others have said, you can also install other programs to get movies and TV shows for free but it isn't legal to get the movies for free from those sites.

morasp

Reaction score
I just added shout tv which has free content. Tubi tv has a lot of free content, and Pluto tv has a lot of channels all free.

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
Get a Firestick and watch the online jailbreak tutorial on youtube. Install Kodi and add a build called The Beast.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Between the FireTV stick and the normal Fire TV, I'd choose the FireTV. It's noticeably faster browsing through the interface in my experience.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Between the FireTV stick and the normal Fire TV, I'd choose the FireTV. It's noticeably faster browsing through the interface in my experience.

I have a Fire TV (not the stick) and a Roku stick. I've noticed the Fire TV's interface is much smoother and there are no initial load times (Netflix, Prime, etc) unlike on the Roku stick. Wonder if Fire TV is better than Roku or if it's just that the sticks aren't as good.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
I'm contemplating cutting the cord when my agreement with Frontier in January. I've placed Showbox on my cell phone and the girlfriends and I'm very pleased with that. I already sub to Netflix too.

I'm going to be getting DTV rabbit ears and Fire sticks for my home and possibly a Amazon Prime membership. In all, I will be saving approximately $110 a month after I get all setup.

I bought a streaming box for my father, and I'm pretty pleased with it already loaded with Kodi and some add-ons. I would suggest a plain usb or bt keyboard for those going that way. I'm hoping I can even catch some football I would be geographically unable to catch.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I have a Fire TV (not the stick) and a Roku stick. I've noticed the Fire TV's interface is much smoother and there are no initial load times (Netflix, Prime, etc) unlike on the Roku stick. Wonder if Fire TV is better than Roku or if it's just that the sticks aren't as good.

The sticks just aren't as good. They sacrifice processing power for the smaller package.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I'm contemplating cutting the cord when my agreement with Frontier in January. I've placed Showbox on my cell phone and the girlfriends and I'm very pleased with that. I already sub to Netflix too.

I'm going to be getting DTV rabbit ears and Fire sticks for my home and possibly a Amazon Prime membership. In all, I will be saving approximately $110 a month after I get all setup.

I bought a streaming box for my father, and I'm pretty pleased with it already loaded with Kodi and some add-ons. I would suggest a plain usb or bt keyboard for those going that way. I'm hoping I can even catch some football I would be geographically unable to catch.
You don't need a keyboard or mouse for a Fire TV, Nexus player, or nvidia shield.