AMD sues Intel for monopoly abuse

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
It was just a matter of time... I figured on this happening 5 yrs ago...

AMD sues Intel for monopoly abuse

Giant computer chipmaker Intel is being sued by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) for anti-competitive practices.

The lawsuit covers x86 microprocessors, used to run PC operating systems, including Microsoft Windows, Solaris and Linux systems.

AMD said its lawsuit alleges that Intel has coerced customers away from dealing with AMD, and is based on evidence obtained from 38 companies.

Intel has declined to comment on the lawsuit filed by AMD.

AMD filed its case in a federal court in the US state of Delaware on Monday.

Market dominance

"Everywhere in the world, customers deserve freedom of choice and the benefits of innovation, and these are being stolen away in the microprocessor," said AMD president and chief executive Hector Ruiz.

Intel dominates global sales of x86 microprocessors with 80% of sales by volume and 90% by revenue, according to AMD.

A report on first quarter 2005 microprocessor sales by independent research firm Mercury found Intel had 82% of the PC processor market and AMD had 17%, with VIA and Transmeta mopping up the rest, The Register website reported.

AMD alleges that Intel has used its position to force major customers into exclusive deals or to cap customer purchases of AMD chips.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Odd...I can order a new computer MANY places...and get AMD if that is what I wish.

Heck if the consumer is smart they would order the computer in pieces instead of buying a name brand computer anyways.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Maybe AMD should try to work a deal with Dell and HP also. I have bought 2 AMD processors and have had problems with both.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Heck if the consumer is smart they would order the computer in pieces instead of buying a name brand computer anyways.

Been there done that and will never do it again.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
Been there done that and will never do it again.

Done what....buy name brand computers?

I hate working on HPs and Compaqs....they drive me nuts and compaqs normally sound like they are a cement truck.

As far as AMDs I have not had any trouble with some of the computers at work that used them....they seem to work fine with the limited ones I have worked with....but I always get intel.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Done what....buy name brand computers?

I hate working on HPs and Compaqs....they drive me nuts and compaqs normally sound like they are a cement truck.

As far as AMDs I have not had any trouble with some of the computers at work that used them....they seem to work fine with the limited ones I have worked with....but I always get intel.
Build my own pc's. I bought a Dell and it's the best pc I have ever had.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
Build my own pc's. I bought a Dell and it's the best pc I have ever had.

I always buy my own parts or have someone order the parts I need.

When I decide I want an upgrade in computers I keep my cdr/dvd burner, hard drives, sound and video cards and just get a new case, power supply, mobo, cpu/fan and memory (if the upgrade requires different memory).

Now I do know people that go really cheap on some things, like mobos or a mobo/cpu combo and regret it.

But for the most part I have not had any problem with hardware issues.

I think the only hardware problems I had was one time one of my usb ports went bad so I just went and got an ethernet card for my cable modem and I am glad I did have that problem as the ethernet card made things go faster lol. The other one was my cpu fan wore out so I got a new one and it is something easy to replace.

Now if someone is not confident or has the know how to open up a computer and swap things in and out ....then I would not suggest they make their own...but for us geeks lol.

If I have problems it is normally software issues.

On a side note....when we first got PCs at my work we bought Gateways...and at the time gateways were pretty good computers. They lasted a pretty long time before we started having problems with them....even then we just replaced some fans or in a few cases motherboards and we still have a few that work fine.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Now if someone is not confident or has the know how to open up a computer and swap things in and out ....then I would not suggest they make their own...but for us geeks lol.

I just hated having to replace parts that go bad. If my hard drive goes bad in my Dell I call them and they replace it. I just don't care to play the newer better MB shuffle.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
AMD - build and market a better product, then you won't have to worry about not having market share. Just a thought.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
I just hated having to replace parts that go bad. If my hard drive goes bad in my Dell I call them and they replace it. I just don't care to play the newer better MB shuffle.

The only reason I changed out one of my harddrives from my original computer....is because I was running out of space.....I still actually have it here at work incase I need it for a computer I am working on as it is still a good harddrive...just small on space.

Maybe I have been lucky....maybe you had bad luck....but for me I just like it better that way.

I think much of my disdain comes from working on Compaqs, HPs, emachines, Systemax and a couple of newer gateways.

I also hate when people buy those computers and instead of getting the official Windows CD...they get a restore CD that is chalked full of crappy trial programs and such.....any time you restore with those discs they always add all of that crap and it is annoying....At the least they should give you the option of adding those on if you wish....but no they add the crap on and most of the time there are programs that will never be used but always find a way to drain resources (like symantec/nortons system tools).

I just worked on a Compaq and a HP yesterday and Friday....can you tell it was fun LOL.

And the HP had a restore disc with those programs on it and I found it out it was the programs that was locking up the computer so I had to remove a bunch of them off of the computer after I already formatted the hard drive, had to do a full disk scan via dos and so on.

The Compaq...the lady was lucky we had another crappy compaq that was the same model as I took the two compaqs and frakensteined them together to make one decent one lol.

Had to take the CD, Floppy and Memory from one and put it into another case with the mobo.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
AMD - build and market a better product, then you won't have to worry about not having market share. Just a thought.

I actually think they build some pretty good products from what I have seen....your market suggestion is where they fall short IMO.

Intel has done a great job in that department.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
The only reason I changed out one of my harddrives from my original computer....is because I was running out of space.....I still actually have it here at work incase I need it for a computer I am working on as it is still a good harddrive...just small on space.

Maybe I have been lucky....maybe you had bad luck....but for me I just like it better that way.

I think much of my disdain comes from working on Compaqs, HPs, emachines, Systemax and a couple of newer gateways.

I also hate when people buy those computers and instead of getting the official Windows CD...they get a restore CD that is chalked full of crappy trial programs and such.....any time you restore with those discs they always add all of that crap and it is annoying....At the least they should give you the option of adding those on if you wish....but no they add the crap on and most of the time there are programs that will never be used but always find a way to drain resources (like symantec/nortons system tools).

I just worked on a Compaq and a HP yesterday and Friday....can you tell it was fun LOL.

And the HP had a restore disc with those programs on it and I found it out it was the programs that was locking up the computer so I had to remove a bunch of them off of the computer after I already formatted the hard drive, had to do a full disk scan via dos and so on.

The Compaq...the lady was lucky we had another crappy compaq that was the same model as I took the two compaqs and frakensteined them together to make one decent one lol.

Had to take the CD, Floppy and Memory from one and put it into another case with the mobo.

I feel your pain on that because I have been there and done that for years. I have been at my current job almost 9 yrs. When I first started we were just beginning a switch to Dell from some garbage systems they bought from some local vendor. Except for our servers which are HP/Compaqs all of our pc's company wide, with the exception of a few, are Dells.

They come with a windows cd and a seperate drivers cd so restoring them is a snap.

I had an hp shipped to me a while back that got damaged in shipping. I tried the best I could to get it back together. I ended up using black duct tape on it lol

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
I feel your pain on that because I have been there and done that for years. I have been at my current job almost 9 yrs. When I first started we were just beginning a switch to Dell from some garbage systems they bought from some local vendor. Except for our servers which are HP/Compaqs all of our pc's company wide, with the exception of a few, are Dells.

They come with a windows cd and a seperate drivers cd so restoring them is a snap.

I had an hp shipped to me a while back that got damaged in shipping. I tried the best I could to get it back together. I ended up using black duct tape on it lol

You know you bring up a good point....It seems like the HP servers are not bad at all...maybe they put the money into those and just scrape the barrel on their PCs to lower the prices to get them to sale at Wally World.

Also a funny story.

My wife's uncle worked for I think Digital for years...then Compaq bought them out so he had to go through that change and then HP bought them out lol...or something along those lines.

I asked him about it and he said..well it was a pain but I got a bunch of different T-Shirts out of the deal lol.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
You know you bring up a good point....It seems like the HP servers are not bad at all...maybe they put the money into those and just scrape the barrel on their PCs to lower the prices to get them to sale at Wally World.

Also a funny story.

My wife's uncle worked for I think Digital for years...then Compaq bought them out so he had to go through that change and then HP bought them out lol...or something along those lines.

I asked him about it and he said..well it was a pain but I got a bunch of different T-Shirts out of the deal lol.

I'll never buy a name brand other than Dell for desktops or laptops. I haven't worked on any Dell servers but I have heard they are just as good as HP.

My boss loves stinkpads and I hate them. I also worked a tech support for IBM and I will never buy an IBM EVER!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
My Uncle is a CEO at AMD(Marty Seyer) ... they are making some pretty cool stuff and catching up with Intel. Dell won't use AMD ... I think it has a deal with Intel or something ... I do know that more and more users are seeing the upside to AMD and they are gaining ground on Intel ... personally I think it is a good thing.