Amendola To Be Called Up? Choice Kickoff Retuns?

Reaction score
With the injury to Austin and Stanback having his own issues staying healthy wondering if the Cowboys will call Amendola and Tashard Choice for help on Special-Teams.

The loss of Austin will hurt an already crappy Special-Teams unit. Maybe getting Amendola and Choice back there could help.

What do you guys think?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Someone called in on Talking Cowboys today and asked about possibly using Choice on the kick off or punt return unit because they heard, or read, that he returned a few kickoffs in college.

*Shrugs* Who knows. I suppose if they can do it, and do it effectively, then go for it.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Mike Jenkins can return kicks too. So can scandrick, but I hope we dont risk scandrick.

and most importantly maybe felix will return. ALthough if he is not ready I would just let him sit till pittsburgh.

and you cant just call up amendola. Who would you take off the roster?

We are fine at wr if it is a 1 week 2 game deal. If not stanbach will have to play hurt. ANd roy williams will get all the snaps he wants.

Plus we will make up for the loss of austin with more playing time for curtis and bennett.

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2429145 said:
Someone called in on Talking Cowboys today and asked about possibly using Choice on the kick off or punt return unit because they heard, or read, that he returned a few kickoffs in college.

*Shrugs* Who knows. I suppose if they can do it, and do it effectively, then go for it.

Interesting!

Reaction score
theebs;2429149 said:
Mike Jenkins can return kicks too. So can scandrick, but I hope we dont risk scandrick.

and most importantly maybe felix will return. ALthough if he is not ready I would just let him sit till pittsburgh.

and you cant just call up amendola. Who would you take off the roster?

We are fine at wr if it is a 1 week 2 game deal. If not stanbach will have to play hurt. ANd roy williams will get all the snaps he wants.

Plus we will make up for the loss of austin with more playing time for curtis and bennett.

Wouldn't want to risk Jenkins or Scandrick. Dam, we need Adam Jones back, LOL!

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Miles Austin likely to miss 2-4 weeks

Todd Archer

On his key third-down catch the play before Martellus Bennett's touchdown Sunday, Miles Austin suffered a sprained lateral collateral ligament in his knee and is likely to miss 2-4 weeks.

Austin had a productive game vs. the Commanders and was at the very least sharing the No. 3 receiver role with Patrick Crayton if not taking over the role. Now he's out.

Austin suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament in the preseason and missed the season opener. On the season he has 12 catches for 255 yards and three touchdowns. His speed was a valuable asset as a receiver and kick returner.

Oh yeah, kick returner. If Felix Jones does not return this week and with Austin out, the Cowboys will be looking for a returner. Maybe it's Isaiah Stanback, but he re-injured his shoulder in practice last week and may need surgery sooner rather than later. Orlando Scandrick joined Austin as one of the returners last week. Mike Jenkins might be able to do it, too.

With Stanback's injury, the Cowboys have only three healthy receivers in Terrell Owens, Roy Williams and Crayton. Might they have to go to the practice squad this week to call up Danny Amendola or Travis Wilson?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2429158 said:

Todd Archer

On his key third-down catch the play before Martellus Bennett's touchdown Sunday, Miles Austin suffered a sprained lateral collateral ligament in his knee and is likely to miss 2-4 weeks.

Austin had a productive game vs. the Commanders and was at the very least sharing the No. 3 receiver role with Patrick Crayton if not taking over the role. Now he's out.

Austin suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament in the preseason and missed the season opener. On the season he has 12 catches for 255 yards and three touchdowns. His speed was a valuable asset as a receiver and kick returner.

Oh yeah, kick returner. If Felix Jones does not return this week and with Austin out, the Cowboys will be looking for a returner. Maybe it's Isaiah Stanback, but he re-injured his shoulder in practice last week and may need surgery sooner rather than later. Orlando Scandrick joined Austin as one of the returners last week. Mike Jenkins might be able to do it, too.

With Stanback's injury, the Cowboys have only three healthy receivers in Terrell Owens, Roy Williams and Crayton. Might they have to go to the practice squad this week to call up Danny Amendola or Travis Wilson?

2-4 weeks means at least 4 and probably 5 or more.

This cat can't seem to keep his knee healthy this year. This is the second time he's hurt his knee just as he's getting going a bit.

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2429158 said:

Todd Archer

I would bet that Austin will be out the 4 weeks with the LCL sprain, tough injury!

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Austin doesn't have a football body. Damn shame. Stanback, the Woody Dantzler that never was. Kinda of tired of hearing Stanback's name. For what? Roster spot we waste his entire stint with the Cowboys.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
You need speed as a kickoff returner, so Amendola wouldn't be any good at that anyway IMO. His only possible value might be as a punt returner, because he has good hands and maybe some quickness. But kickoffs? No. Just let Scandrick or Jenkins do it. Choice isn't a bad idea, either.

ddh33

Reaction score
Amendola might get a shot. They could always put Stanback on IR to open up a spot.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Didn't Amendola fumble a KOR or PR in the preseason. He probably needs a season of beefing up before he is ready for KORs.

I would suggest the job go to Choice for now if he can do it.

It has been a tough year for Dallas skill positions - Witten, Romo, Hurd, Austin, Stanback, Felix, Barber all with injuries.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2429226 said:
They need to put Scandrick or Jenkins back there...

I doubt they risk Jenkins, he is essentially the 2nd CB right now.

They need Felix to get healthy and return kicks but for a couple of weeks we may see Choice who has a very limited role in the offense.

Amendola is a solid punt returner but we really need to just allow this team to hang on for two more weeks without any roster changes. Crayton, Pacman(assuming he gets re-instated which I suspect happens now that he has an alcohol treatment program) and Newman can return punts, and we have 4 or 5 guys who can return kicks. I think Amendola is intriguing as the next Patrick Crayton 2 years from now but isn't gonna help much right now.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Amendola - He wasn't impressive as a returner. He wasn't elusive or fast enough, plus he had a turnover or two.

Choice makes sense, but I'm afraid that Jenkins and Scandrick will need to be prepared too.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Choice sounds like he needs a chance. He's not real fast though. Stanback sounds like he just needs to go on IR and get ready for next season. His chances of being a NFL WR is going down the drain with injuries. Surgery for his problem is not the most successful. It's hard to get it right making the joint stable without loosing too much range of motion. And the repair even when it works out doesn't always last. A bad thing to have as a NFL player, IMO.

I think they need to put the WR on the roster that has the best hookup with Romo. Amendola might not be a bad choice. I'd rather have a bigger and faster WR though.

Austin will probably be back in 2-4 weeks if its a mild strain. He does seem to bounce back readily.

We sure have had a lot of injuries this year. Someone has put the root on us.

Reaction score
ZeroClub;2429249 said:
Amendola - He wasn't impressive as a returner. He wasn't elusive or fast enough, plus he had a turnover or two.

Choice makes sense, but I'm afraid that Jenkins and Scandrick will need to be prepared too.

But after 10 weeks of practice, maybe Amendola has improved on his catching and securing the ball skills. When he was struggling, it was very early in the season.