Amendola To Be Called Up? Choice Kickoff Retuns?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Choice would be a bad "choice" right now. We only have two RBs: Barber and Choice. Until Felix is healthy, I wouldn't risk Choice on kickoffs.

Getting Pacman back would be ideal for the KO and punt returns.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2429143 said:
With the injury to Austin and Stanback having his own issues staying healthy wondering if the Cowboys will call Amendola and Tashard Choice for help on Special-Teams.

The loss of Austin will hurt an already crappy Special-Teams unit. Maybe getting Amendola and Choice back there could help.

What do you guys think?

I hope the guy develops but what are you basing this on? some practice session during training camp? The guy did nothing in the pre-season and while I hope he develops it seems like a long shot throwing him out there in the middle of the season and expect he will do something. I think for Amendola his best bet will be going into training camp next year and showing improvment

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
we have the worst kick returners and kick coverers in the NFL (okay that might be an exaggeration)

but let someone else return kicks
someone who can find a quick seem and go--no dancing or heading to the sideline

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2429337 said:
But after 10 weeks of practice, maybe Amendola has improved on his catching and securing the ball skills. When he was struggling, it was very early in the season.

That is doubtful since being on the practice squad isn't going to prepare him any more for full contact. He was marginal in the preseason yet some of you just won't let him go.

It is not just about returning kicks, it is covering them with Austin. If we replace him on the roster with anyone, it had better be with someone who might be able to do that. We certainly know Amendola cannot do that. Our kick coverage is a joke as it is without a pint-sized addition.

arync

Reaction score
dbacklund;2429146 said:
That would be awesome if we called up Amendola

If Amendola was so special someone would have drafted him and claimed him off of our practice squad. I don't understand what all the hype is. Hopefully Stanback will be healthy enough so we can stop with this Amendola nonsense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
arync;2429494 said:
If Amendola was so special someone would have drafted him and claimed him off of our practice squad. I don't understand what all the hype is. Hopefully Stanback will be healthy enough so we can stop with this Amendola nonsense.

Amendola just a kid who showed some potential enough so to make it to the practice squad and he will have this time, an off-season program and training camp to work on his skills. He may or may not make it. I do think some are being a bit naive to think he can come into the middle of the season and produce for Dallas.

I will say I'm pulling for him to develop and one day become part of the roster I just don't think the time is now.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Speaking of practice squad WRs, anyone know what the problem was with Travis Wilson at Cleveland? He was pretty good at OU as I remember and was a 3rd round pick.

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2429408 said:
I hope the guy develops but what are you basing this on? some practice session during training camp? The guy did nothing in the pre-season and while I hope he develops it seems like a long shot throwing him out there in the middle of the season and expect he will do something. I think for Amendola his best bet will be going into training camp next year and showing improvment

Basing it on that he still goes to practice everyday and hope with 10 more weeks of practice he may have improved.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2429725 said:
Basing it on that he still goes to practice everyday and hope with 10 more weeks of practice he may have improved.

Sorry I don't think it is an option at this stage he did nothing as a return man in pre-season but he will all of a sudden emerge as one now? I like him and I hope the best for him but I think any real chance of being on the reg roster will be next season if that.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2429526 said:
Speaking of practice squad WRs, anyone know what the problem was with Travis Wilson at Cleveland? He was pretty good at OU as I remember and was a 3rd round pick.

There you go!

All things considered, it makes sense that the best option at this point could well be on some other team's practice squad.

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2429733 said:
Sorry I don't think it is an option at this stage he did nothing as a return man in pre-season but he will all of a sudden emerge as one now? I like him and I hope the best for him but I think any real chance of being on the reg roster will be next season if that.

You could be right! I guess the coaching staff will put out there who they feel are fot to do so.

links18

Reaction score
Wow, a lot of negativity towards Amendola here--the training camp golden boy. If we call Amendola up, someone has to get cut or put on IR. Couple that with PacMan possibly coming back and we would need to create 2 roster spots. Stanback to IR seems plausible, but who is the other cut?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2429737 said:
You could be right! I guess the coaching staff will put out there who they feel are fot to do so.

True they see him day in and day out. They saw something during camp to put him on the PS and most of the time you do that to buy time for future development. During the season though because coaches are putting game plans together they don't get too spend time on PS players as they would during mini camps and training camps after all that is what those things are for.

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2429769 said:
True they see him day in and day out. They saw something during camp to put him on the PS and most of the time you do that to buy time for future development. During the season though because coaches are putting game plans together they don't get too spend time on PS players as they would during mini camps and training camps after all that is what those things are for.

I would guess the scouting department would give the coaches an update on players whether they are ready or not?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
links18;2429767 said:
Wow, a lot of negativity towards Amendola here--the training camp golden boy. If we call Amendola up, someone has to get cut or put on IR. Couple that with PacMan possibly coming back and we would need to create 2 roster spots. Stanback to IR seems plausible, but who is the other cut?

It sounds as if Stanback needs to go to IR. I guess they filled AJs spot but I don't remember with whom. Amendola doesn't really bring anything to the table with returning punts or kicks. Someone else can do that better and is already on the squad. If they bring him up it will be to be a WR on a few packages and perhaps STs. I doubt they trust him on STs though. He's too small to play there although he is game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2429794 said:
I would guess the scouting department would give the coaches an update on players whether they are ready or not?

Scouting department is out on the road looking at college kids who they hope to draft or bring in as UDFA. It is not very likely that Amendola will be brought up forcing Dallas to cut someone at this stage.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
arync;2429494 said:

He's our Wes Welker wanna be. Isn't that enough to declare him special? ;)

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2429143 said:
With the injury to Austin and Stanback having his own issues staying healthy wondering if the Cowboys will call Amendola and Tashard Choice for help on Special-Teams.

The loss of Austin will hurt an already crappy Special-Teams unit. Maybe getting Amendola and Choice back there could help.

What do you guys think?

the NFL is alwlays open to diversity and slow, inexperienced players are in the mix.