'Amityville' house back on market

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CNN) -- Able to scare up a few bucks?

Just in time for Halloween, the owners of the home made famous in the spooky 1970s film "The Amityville Horror" are dramatically slashing the asking price on their Toms River, New Jersey, colonial, which was used for exteriors in the film.

The decision wasn't triggered by demonic activity, however. Apparently, another frightening "D" word was to blame.

"My husband and I are getting a divorce," said Odalys Fragoso, who bought the house with her husband Jose Fragoso in 2001. "It's not that the house is haunted or anything. We had wonderful times in that house."

The couple purchased the house for $795,000. Originally listed last year at $1.45 million, the four-bedroom, three-bath home is now going for $955,000 -- a bargain, according to the agent.

"If there were a curse on it, I wouldn't be in it," joked Donna Walesiewicz, the broker selling the 3,370-square-foot residence. "It is what it is, a nice old stately home."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/03/showbiz/movies/amityville-horror-house-for-sale/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Several issues I have the wrong type of job because that is way more than i could ever afford to pay on a house. Next it is located in the North East you can keep you snow

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
They would have to pay me to live in that house. I know most of the story was bogus but what if it is only partially true?

JBond

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4769788 said:
They would have to pay me to live in that house. I know most of the story was bogus but what if it is only partially true?

It is not the house where the murders happened. They just used that home for the outside shots. The real home is in Long Island, not New Jersey.

By the way, a million bucks for a 3300 square foot house is insane. I paid a quarter of that for a nicer, larger house in Kansas. Just another reason not to live in the north east.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JBond;4769818 said:
It is not the house where the murders happened. They just used that home for the outside shots. The real home is in Long Island, not New Jersey.

By the way, a million bucks for a 3300 square foot house is insane. I paid a quarter of that for a nicer, larger house in Kansas. Just another reason not to live in the north east.

Does not have to be the north east.

Just depends on the location.

You could pay that kind of money for a house of similar square foot in the Keys as well...with probably less land attached to it.

You could probably get more land and larger Square foot house in many areas for the same price...but they are not considered high value land lots either compared to other places.

Personally I am with one of the other posters....If I am going to spend that type of money it is not somewhere that it is going to be cold.

I am moving to a tropical or subtropical area. I had enough winters in WV...I am read for year around heat.:laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
JBond;4769818 said:

Correct. Amityville is a village in New York between Massapequa and Lindenhurst on Long Island. This is the real house.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4769829 said:

You could pay that kind of money for a house of similar square foot in the Keys as well...with probably less land attached to it.

You could probably get more land and larger Square foot house in many areas for the same price...but they are not considered high value land lots either compared to other places.

Personally I am with one of the other posters....If I am going to spend that type of money it is not somewhere that it is going to be cold.

I am moving to a tropical or subtropical area. I had enough winters in WV...I am read for year around heat.:laugh2:

This. It's all about location and saying the Northeast is untrue. That house is in the New York City suburb. That is why it's expensive. If you go up to northern Connecticut or upstate New York, housing prices aren't quiet so high. Besides, that price isn't that bad compared to some houses. That house is a good sized house. I've seen much smaller house cost more.

Actually, if you think the house is expensive, you should check out New York taxes! The taxes are the reason I live in lower Connecticut. :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
[youtube]mXE9BlxAljQ[/youtube]
[youtube]Jj87jLBQVAY[/youtube]
[youtube]UTXO8cNo6cA[/youtube]
[youtube]H2yec5OE9w8[/youtube]
[youtube]4Fr7uXzBS5c[/youtube]
[youtube]UQCwjmjb98M[/youtube]

JBond

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4769829 said:

The midwest is a great value home wise. Agree about that winter stuff. The wife and I have dreams of retirement in Siesta Key. My silly wife gets realtor news sent to her from some site down there every week. She is torturing herself because we are a long ways from retirement. Maybe she has alternate plans I am unaware of.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JBond;4769881 said:
The midwest is a great value home wise. Agree about that winter stuff. The wife and I have dreams of retirement in Siesta Key. My silly wife gets realtor news sent to her from some site down there every week. She is torturing herself because we are a long ways from retirement. Maybe she has alternate plans I am unaware of.

Feed her obsession... http://www.zillow.com/homes/siesta-key,-fl_rb/

;)

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
JBond;4769818 said:

Yeah but you had to live in Kansas.

JBond

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4769899 said:
Yeah but you had to live in Kansas.

LOL and you live in Canada....

Actually many parts of Canada are beautiful. Do you have any cheap hunted houses preferably near a ski resort? Always looking for a good deal.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
JBond;4769924 said:
LOL and you live in Canada....

Actually many parts of Canada are beautiful. Do you have any cheap hunted houses preferably near a ski resort? Always looking for a good deal.

Canada >>> Kansas

Nah, our ski resorts are all uber expensive. Whistler, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Big White, Silver Star, Mont Tremblant, are pricey.

You might get something in Revelstoke but that is in the middle of nowhere. Golden BC is on the Rocky Mountain side but just across valley is Kicking Horse which is decent.