Amphetamines added to league's steroid policy

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amphetamines added to league's steroid policy
Tue Jun 27, 6:24 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The National Football League has added amphetamines to its banned list of drugs covered in its steroid policy and beginning with the 2007 season will toughen punishment against players using them, the league said on Tuesday.

Amphetamines, which had been covered under the NFL's less punitive substance abuse policy, were added to the steroid policy in conjunction with the NFL Players Association, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Reuters.

"This season will serve as a transitional year," Aiello said about players testing positive for amphetamines. "The first positive test will subject a player to (more frequent) reasonable cause testing."

Aiello said 10,000 random tests a year are done under the league's steroid policy against performance enhancing drugs.

From 2007 on, a first positive for amphetamines will bring a four-game suspension, and a second positive will result in an eight-game suspension. A third positive test brings a one-year ban from the league.

Under the substance-abuse policy, a player would not have been suspended until a third positive test.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060627...LQF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

Kevin

Commanders Fan
Reaction score
Gotta get rid of those guys who are hopped up on Adderall and Ridalin. Changing the face of the game with those damn Amphetamines. :)

And yes, I have absolutely no idea how to spell the names of those drugs, but thanks for the corrections in advance.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
The whole premise makes sense to me.

The NFL protects its marketing name and best marketing tools (the players), in one motion.

DWelch1775

Couch Warmer
Reaction score
Its still weak. I say you should get a year suspension for testing the first time, and for the second you should get banned from the sport all together. Maybe we'll get it right someday.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DWelch1775 said:
Its still weak. I say you should get a year suspension for testing the first time, and for the second you should get banned from the sport all together. Maybe we'll get it right someday.

Considering the difficulties in testing for Amph. regarding false positives caused by literally hundreds of OTC medications, I'd say that the addition of these drugs is the weak part.

The policy is good as it is -- it allows for DIVERSION rather than only PUNISHMENT. People who abuse drugs need treatment, not to be suspended or banned immediately.