An argument in favor of taking a WR in the first

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people here with the opinion we don't need to draft a WR. I will admit I don't have a burning desire to draft a WR period much less look to take one with our first pick. I do think I can make a very good argument to do just that though.

Let's begin by looking at the fall of the 2009 Cowboys. I'm certain not all share my views. As surely as there are death and taxes they don't and won't. Rather than looking at positions on the team let's ratch it up a notch and look at the offense, defense and STs. On this level it is pretty clear to me where to assign responsibilities and accountability. The general gold standards in the NFL for offense and defense is to give up no more than 17 points per game and score more than 25 points per game. Obviously that's just speaking in generalities. The object of the game is to win it and each game brings a different set of circumstances. But overall those are good goals.

Well, we met our goal for the defense this year. And just eyeballing it without looking at other stats the defense played at a high level this year improving greatly as the year rolled on. And while I don't have any stats for STs, I think most would agree with me they did well this year. I'd like to see an improvement with kickoffs and obviously we need a field goal kicker, but overall STs was not a problem this year. I put kicking in its own category but it was definitely a problem this year.

That's right. The offense failed the club this year. Yes, the same offense that finished in the top five in the entire NFL. Forget ypc, yac, total yards, yada yada yada. It was fun to watch. It generated excitement and hope. And did I mention plenty of yards. But it forgot to score points to go with those yards. Again, we finished second in the entire league with right at 400 yards per game. The top team scored over 500 points this last season. We scored 361 points. The top team averaged less than 5 yards a game more than we did. We averaged less than 23 points per game. The Saints averaged 31.

We scored 56 points per thousand yards of offense. The Saints scored almost exactly 80 which is the gold standard.

I don't think it's a great leap from there to making an argument for another starting quality WR. Hopefully, that WR is already on the team. Roy Williams I'm talking about you. However, after a season and a half of non-production, I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. Hoping for not counting on.

So where are those points going to come from. Well, some of it will come on the ground. Witten didn't get very many TDs this year. That will likely improve as long as its not just moved from one place to another. Most will come from the passing game and hopefully its spread around. Our WRs are going to have to score a lot more TDs next year for us to be competitive with the best teams in the league.

So adding one WR is not going to add 140 points. It'll have to be spread over the entire offense. But adding a Percy Harvin would help out a great deal. Especially if RW is going to continue to tank it.

My opinion is we are going to have to help ourselves as much as possible if we want to climb the mountain.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good argument, but ultimately I think for this season offensive line is a greater need.

This team looked horrible offensively against Denver, Green Bay and Minnesota.

In each game the offensive line was horribly overmatched.

A better receiver than RW11 as the #2, wouldn't have made one lick of difference.

But give me a better guard than Kosier, Ah! Now you're talking.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I started to argue this as well but kept it short. But look at the top teams in the league and then at their WRs. AZ, MN, NO, even GB have multiple excellent WRs. We have Austin and I'll let you argue Crayton as well just to be friendly. But it's obvious we don't have the WRs the other top teams have. And it's making a difference.

Oh, I won't argue with you about the OL. It needs to be improved. We need a healthy Adams and Colombo. And I could argue that Kosier is not as good as the rest of the OL. So no argument about the OL however I don't see that as only thing needing improvement.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Unless you plan to trade up or down to get the best WR value, the point is moot. You don't set your heart on drafting a particualr postion at a specific draft slot...ever. But if we wanted a WR and one that was close to the #27 pick value was sitting there for us, then yes, I guess it could happen.

Personally, unless a super player fell many slots down to us--to where we had to take him based on good value, then I would not go WR. Generally, I say BPA or very close to it when overlapping a need. A guy like Golden Tate may fit the bill.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If you read all my post you'll see I'm not actually in the vanguard for a WR but only that its not a ridiculous option.

I'm always for the BPA at a position of need or just the BPA if they are clearly superior to any other draftee. Again my guess is unless someone unexpectedly falls then a G/C will be the likeliest draft for us at 27.

burmafrd

Reaction score
In the current SB how many of the WRs there are actually any better then what we have? We have more then enough talent to get the job done. Pass.