An Example of Better “Coach-Speak”

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I would much rather have Zimmer over that pumpkin headed clapping fool.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I stopped listening to his PC’s a long time ago. Hear a few minutes here and there, but I do not purposely tune in for the entire PC.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Who’s upset? Lighten up.
Thread worthy then? I don’t know... you’re the one who started it.

If it bothers you enough to start a thread about it, hey man... I say go for it. Get it off your chest.

acr731

Reaction score

If it bothers you enough to start a thread about it, hey man... I say go for it. Get it off your chest.

We're so sorry. Would you feel better if we said we think Garrett is the next Lombardi?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I guess I shoulda made it clearer that this was more fun than substance. I guess if you felt the need to “correct the thread” I guess thanks are in order.

acr731

Reaction score
I guess I shoulda made it clearer that this was more fun than substance. I guess if you felt the need to “correct the thread” I guess thanks are in order.

Wait - did you get his permission to speak?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I apologize if I hurt your feelings. How Garrett answers questions to the press just seems a little inconsequential in the scheme of things. To me at least.

It was just my opinion. Feel free to critique it, if you wish.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I apologize if I hurt your feelings. How Garrett answers questions to the press just seems a little inconsequential in the scheme of things. To me at least.

It was just my opinion. Feel free to critique it, if you wish.
Your opinions are welcome. I’m always amused by hating on a thread then posting on it over and over to advertise that they don’t like it. Cool.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Real coach speak:

"If we don't pick the right QB, I'll probably get fired." - Mike Zimmer

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know how excruciating it can be to listen to a Jason Garrett press conference. They often last 20-30 minutes without revealing anything. A bunch of “Coach speak” garbage.

The robotic answers, often repeating the same platitudes over and over without really saying anything. “He’s an outstanding football player”, “We did some good things out there”, “We will have to go back, look at the tape, clean some things up”, “...at that point in the football game.” Etc.

I was listening to a head coach speak to the media yesterday in a presser about 5 min, answered at least 6-8 questions in a short, clear and direct way.

The coach is Mike Zimmer of the Vikings.

In his brief press conference, here are some of the questions he was asked and the answers he gave:
  • Question: “What went into the decision to release the kicker?”
  • Answer: “Did you see the game? He missed three FGs.”
  • Question: “How did you feel about the defensive performance yesterday? (giving up 29)
  • Answer: “Our defensive performance was unacceptable. It’s as simple as that. Those players know what I expect and that was unacceptable.”
  • Question: “Are you happy with the play of your QB (Kirk Cousins) so far?”
  • Answer: “Very happy. He’s doing what we ask him to do.”
There were a few other questions, but you get the idea. Straight talk from the head coach. He doesn’t give talk in circles, but is direct and commanding. If these questions were asked of Garrett, we would still be listening to a long droning answer about “football game”, “football player”.

I’m not suggesting that post game press conferences are critical to winning. But I am saying they can provide insight into whether or not a HC has command of the situation. Zimmer clearly does.
What did we learn there? Of course they released the kicker because he missed kicks. Of course he's happy with his QB and unhappy with his defense. There's no more substance to these answers than to any other coach's. What it really highlights is how lazy the sports reporters are, that they don't ask better questions.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Your opinions are welcome. I’m always amused by hating on a thread then posting on it over and over to advertise that they don’t like it. Cool.
I posted once and then responded to people who didn’t like my response.

Funny how that works.