An interesting take on the draft, from Rafael Vela...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Who's one of the better Cowboys bloggers out there, IMO...

The possibility of an uncapped 2010 means a solid team like the Cowboys could forego some of their picks. The team does not have eleven holes to fill. If it could produce another draft crop like 2008's, it would be happy. Dallas selected just six players last year, but the first five -- Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, Martellus Bennett, Tashard Choice and Orlando Scandrick -- all made significant contributions their rookie seasons.

I was told this week that any draftees cut during trainin camp this year will have their salaries count against this year's cap. That means Dallas could accrue more dead money should it use all eleven picks and see only five or six make the final squad. A source hinted that Dallas might seriously consider packaging picks to move up, in order to lessen the risk with its early picks and perhaps trade for 2010 selections if it finds itself at an uninspring section of its draft board.

Regarding the draft, I was told that pro days end this week and that the scouting department will reconvene next week to put the final touches on its board.

Look at the usual suspects -- offensive line, nose tackle and linebacker. Wide receiver will also receive consideration if the team finds value and don't rule out another safety, even though Dallas has made many changes to that spot in recent days, moving Scandrick to free safety if only part time, and adding veteran Gerald Sensenbaugh.

Combine the new cap rules with Jerry's itchy phone fingers and we may see another active weekend of trading when the draft rolls around.

I didn't know about the change in the rules highlighted in bold font above, but given that, what Vela says makes perfect sense... so I looked at the Boys' picks, and remembering that they can't trade any supplemental picks, they have 5 picks from the fifth round on that they could package in trades...

I looked up the value of those five picks on a draft trade value chart, and have figured out they could use them to gain two extra picks in the early to mid 5th round... that would leave them with 8 picks, 7 of them in the top 175...

So, working from that, and keeping in mind the positions he said the Boys would be targeting (which I agree with), here's a mock draft that I'd find gratifying:

2) Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma...

3) Chip Vaughn, SS, Wake Forest...

4a) Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama...

4b) Jarett Dillard, WR, Rice...

5a) Tom Brandstater, QB, Fresno State...

5b) Jason Phillips, ILB, TCU...

5c) Chris Baker, DE/DT, Hampton...

6) Roy Miller, NT, Texas...

I think I'd really like that draft... alternatively, the Boys could go for either S William Moore from Missouri or S/CB Sean Smith from Utah in the 2nd (if Smith falls that far), then look at an OL like Kraig Urbik from Wisconsin or Andy Levitre from Oregon State, or perhaps they could add LB Cody Brown...

Either scenario would work for me, I just think that Duke is going to be a very good guard in the NFL, and I think he'd be a terrific fit on the Boys' OL...

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
silverbear;2685996 said:

I didn't know about the change in the rules highlighted in bold font above, but given that, what Vela says makes perfect sense... so I looked at the Boys' picks, and remembering that they can't trade any supplemental picks, they have 5 picks from the fifth round on that they could package in trades...

I looked up the value of those five picks on a draft trade value chart, and have figured out they could use them to gain two extra picks in the early to mid 5th round... that would leave them with 8 picks, 7 of them in the top 175...

So, working from that, and keeping in mind the positions he said the Boys would be targeting (which I agree with), here's a mock draft that I'd find gratifying:

I think I'd really like that draft... alternatively, the Boys could go for either S William Moore from Missouri or S/CB Sean Smith from Utah in the 2nd (if Smith falls that far), then look at an OL like Kraig Urbik from Wisconsin or Andy Levitre from Oregon State, or perhaps they could add LB Cody Brown...

Either scenario would work for me, I just think that Duke is going to be a very good guard in the NFL, and I think he'd be a terrific fit on the Boys' OL...

Not bad at all, but I still firmly believe Jerry is going to move up in either the 2nd or go from the 3rd into the second. I would be shocked if we walked away from this draft with more then 6 players.

Woods

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2686003 said:
Not bad at all, but I still firmly believe Jerry is going to move up in either the 2nd or go from the 3rd into the second. I would be shocked if we walked away from this draft with more then 6 players.

I was thinking we'd package several of our 5th, 6th, and 7th non comp picks and move into the 4th round, or package 6th and 7th and move up into the 5th round.

I think the sweet spot in this draft is between the 4th and early/mid 5th.

That would leave us with around 7 or 8 picks.

The way it stands now, we could use about that many.

We could use 3-4 guys in the Secondary alone.

Plus back-up QB.

WR, LB (x2), NT, OL

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2686003 said:

You might be right about moving up into the second, but I really doubt he'll trade down to 6 picks...

Remember, he wants help at QB, NT, S, OL, WR, ILB and OLB... can't do all of that with just six picks (and I think he might well draft two OL, thus my assumption of 8 picks)...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
On the other hand...

If this is true, how many teams will be wanting to trade down with us for more picks? If anything, Jerry is probably more willing than most other owners to spend money, as long as it doesn't count on our cap.

I'm just not a big believer in trading up unless we are really, *really* sold on a guy. Because if you're wrong, you've blown more than one pick on a guy who can't play. And that stinks when you have several needs, as we do.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Ummm.. I don't believe the Cowboys or any team is going to trade picks away because they don't want to pay the salary of a 5-7 rounder... What we talking about 200,000 a player.. The Cowboys have many holes to fill in the bottom of the roster.. Use all picks and cut the dead weight on the roster...

texmex

Reaction score
silverbear;2685996 said:

Like the mock, I would probably take a CB in place of Dillard in the 4th round. A corner has a chance to compete for the 4th CB spot behind Scandrick.

SDogo

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2686173 said:
I hope we don't trade up and we could easily make room for 11 rookies.

I don't see it. Where do you fit in 11 rookies?

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
To me, it looks like around pick 42 or 43, you will see a drop off. The pure second round talent will run out. Getting a team to trade out of that good part of the draft will be difficult to do, imo. However, a player could fall a little bit more or past that 42 point, and you could try to move up for that guy, but you have to have a partner who is willing to pass up a good player. It will be tough, imo.

I think a player like Ramon Foster (OT), a late 6th or seventh rounder, would make Dallas' team with EASE. This team needs to replace these player for sure, imo. Whether this draft allows it or not, is another story:

Cory Proctor
Pat McQuistan
Doug Free (one more camp, imo)
Bobby Carpenter
Justin Rodgers
Pat Watkins
Courtney Brown

Dallas traded out of round 2 in 2007, because the 2nd round talent was picked clean. They passed on the CB with character concerns and traded out.

Burnett and "The Water Pistol" gives you 9 slots for potential new players.
Plus, a CB/S hybrid could be used if you wanted to go that route.

Edit:

Greg Ellis needs a boot! There is one more. I don't know how I left him out.

SDogo

Reaction score
41gy#;2687073 said:
To me, it looks like around pick 42 or 43, you will see a drop off. The pure second round talent will run out. Getting a team to trade out of that good part of the draft will be difficult to do, imo. However, a player could fall a little bit more or past that 42 point, and you could try to move up for that guy, but you have to have a partner who is willing to pass up a good player. It will be tough, imo.

I think a player like Ramon Foster (OT), a late 6th or seventh rounder, would make Dallas' team with EASE. This team needs to replace these player for sure, imo. Whether this draft allows it to get them, is another story:

Cory Proctor
Pat McQuistan
Doug Free (one more camp, imo)
Bobby Carpenter
Justin Rodgers
Pat Watkins
Courtney Brown

Dallas traded out of round 2 in 2007, because the 2nd round talent was picked clean. They passed on the CB with character concerns and traded out.

Burnett and "The Water Pistol" gives you 9 slots for potential new players.
Plus, a CB/S hybrid could be used if you wanted to go that route.

3 maybe 4 of those players could lose spots to rookies and those would likely be the top 3 or 4 picks we have. I would like to see one time minus an expansion team or a rebuilding team like the Cowboys of 89' drafted and kept all 11 rookies on the roster.

6 selections last year, 5 made the roster and our team is much more talented then last year.

We have filled some obvious holes in FA. Jerry would be an idiot to keep all 11 picks if he could get value by moving up or adding to next years crop.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2687082 said:
3 maybe 4 of those players could lose spots to rookies and those would likely be the top 3 or 4 picks we have. I would like to see one time minus an expansion team or a rebuilding team like the Cowboys of 89' drafted and kept all 11 rookies on the roster.

6 selections last year, 5 made the roster and our team is much more talented then last year.

We have filled some obvious holes in FA. Jerry would be an idiot to keep all 11 picks if he could get value by moving up or adding to next years crop.

He might use them all, but the room is there. As I stated, this draft may not allow it.

I left crybay Greg Ellis out. Why is he still here?

SDogo

Reaction score
41gy#;2687114 said:
He might use them all, but the room is there. As I stated, this draft may not allow it.

I left crybay Greg Ellis out. Why is he still here?

If you ask me, that should be one guaranteed open spot by now.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
interesting take -- but if all picks count against the cap then EVERY team in the league is looking at the same issue ... so we've pretty much got a wash

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
If there are teams like the Cowboys with an abundance of picks, there are teams with a shortage. New Orleans has like 3 picks (1st, 4th, 7th) so they may be looking to pick up some extras by trading down (unlikely with such a high 1st) or trading next year's picks if there are players they want 2009.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2686252 said:
On the other hand...

If this is true, how many teams will be wanting to trade down with us for more picks? If anything, Jerry is probably more willing than most other owners to spend money, as long as it doesn't count on our cap.

I'm just not a big believer in trading up unless we are really, *really* sold on a guy. Because if you're wrong, you've blown more than one pick on a guy who can't play. And that stinks when you have several needs, as we do.

I agree.

And, every once in a while, you'll snag a Jay Ratliff late in the draft. It doesn't happen often, but if you never use your late round picks, it'll never happen.

--

Even if the rookie salaries count against this year's cap, are we really talking about a ton of money here?

My impression is that the contracts for 5th, 6th, and 7th round rookies come relatively cheap.

It takes a whole bus load of late round rookie contracts to equal what a mid-1st rounder would demand, correct?

I don't think the cap hit is a big factor here - particularly when we are talking about the later round picks.

--

I agree that the Cowboys are not likely to draft 11 players, but that'll have far less to do with the salary cap than with the number of openings that are available on this team.

Plus, Jerry loves trading so much that in some cases he'll trade for an equal alternative just for the action.