An odd experience

Flamma

Reaction score
Going back a few years I had an odd experience with a bee or wasp ground nest. I was mowing my lawn and I went over their nest. As I started to go back in that direction, I noticed I aggravated the ground hive. They were out and about in large numbers. I tried to go into my house, but it was too late, I had many of them gathering on my body. So I ran up the block. I had them all over me. But the further I got up the block, the more of them that flew off of me. I wiped many of them off, making sure I did not kill any of them in the process. By the time I got about 3/10 of a mile away, they were all off of me. I did not get stung a single time.

I have a hard time believing these were wasps. Because they are usually jerks, and sting at a moment's notice. But for me to be covered in so many bees and not a single sting seems abnormal. Is it because I made sure not to kill any of them? Is it because I kept running away from the nest? Is this normal behavior for bees or wasps?

It was close to the end of summer, and I made sure I left them alone. As a thanks for not stinging me. Next year they weren't there.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This almost feels like a Reverend Conehead story. What happened to him? Haven’t seen one of his crazy stories in a while.

Regarding the bees, I know they wear protective gear, but seems like bees just crawl around bee keepers too?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Honey bees don't make ground nests, as far as I know. These were probably wasps, and I assume the ones that look like yellow jackets? If so, I can't explain why they didn't sting you, except maybe you had a smell or something that confused them. If you left the mower running, maybe they blamed it, more than you?

Flamma

Reaction score
Honey bees don't make ground nests, as far as I know. These were probably wasps, and I assume the ones that look like yellow jackets? If so, I can't explain why they didn't sting you, except maybe you had a smell or something that confused them. If you left the mower running, maybe they blamed it, more than you?
Honey bees absolutely do make ground nests. The reason I know is because my grandmother had to dig up and remove a large nest under her garden. The honeycomb was enormous. Do wasps make those honeycombs?

I've been stung by wasps a lot. I've had to go to the hospital. They will sting you if you sneeze over their nest. In this case I had dozens of these things on me, not a single sting. It's hard for me to believe they were wasps.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Honey bees absolutely do make ground nests. The reason I know is because my grandmother had to dig up and remove a large nest under her garden. The honeycomb was enormous. Do wasps make those honeycombs?

I've been stung by wasps a lot. I've had to go to the hospital. They will sting you if you sneeze over their nest. In this case I had dozens of these things on me, not a single sting. It's hard for me to believe they were wasps.
Okay, I stand corrected. I've seen many of what I always called Yellow Jacket (wasps) nests underground, but the only honey bee nests I've ever seen (other than beekeeper's bees) were in walls, sheds, etc.
I've also seen those same type of yellow jackets build paper nests, like a hornet's nest, and I think they had honeycombs, but obviously not honey. I could be mistaken, I'm no expert.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I had a similar experience at my place in Rockport. I was mowing the grass and got attacked by killer bees. Luckily the door to the house was only about 20 yards away so I only got stung a handful of times. The killer bees had made a huge hive in an abandoned building on a near by property. Lots of those post Harvey. Anyways, the exterminator said the lawn mower aggravated them and that I was lucky as it was one of the biggest hives he’d ever seen.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I had a similar experience at my place in Rockport. I was mowing the grass and got attacked by killer bees. Luckily the door to the house was only about 20 yards away so I only got stung a handful of times. The killer bees had made a huge hive in an abandoned building on a near by property. Lots of those post Harvey. Anyways, the exterminator said the lawn mower aggravated them and that I was lucky as it was one of the biggest hives he’d ever seen.
Yeah, from what I understand, you don't even need to be a thread to Africanized Honey Bees. Just being loud sets them off.

Flamma

Reaction score
Okay, I stand corrected. I've seen many of what I always called Yellow Jacket (wasps) nests underground, but the only honey bee nests I've ever seen (other than beekeeper's bees) were in walls, sheds, etc.
I've also seen those same type of yellow jackets build paper nests, like a hornet's nest, and I think they had honeycombs, but obviously not honey. I could be mistaken, I'm no expert.
Looking into it a bit more, it's actually quite rare that honey bees make a ground nest.

The ones that build those paper nests, they're called bald faced hornets. But are not hornets, they are a type of yellow jacket. But their coloring is closer to black and white as opposed to black and yellow. Also bigger, but less angry. At least the ones by me.

Flamma

Reaction score
You got lucky. Killer bees are not only quicker to anger, but send a larger % of the hive to greet you. The door to my house was close by too. I just didn't want to enter with all those bees on me.

I'm not sure what is quicker to anger, yellow jackets or killer bees? Someone should test that out. An Eagles fan preferably. I was doing some work in my back yard one day. I was measuring something, and just dropped my tape measure on the grass. When I went to go pick it back up, there were multiple yellow jackets on it.

I retreated about 50 feet away to my patio. About 2 minutes later one of those jerks came and stung me. They don't like vibration. I guess the tape measure hit too close. This is why I can't believe those were yellow jackets that I disturbed with my lawn mower.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Looking into it a bit more, it's actually quite rare that honey bees make a ground nest.

The ones that build those paper nests, they're called bald faced hornets. But are not hornets, they are a type of yellow jacket. But their coloring is closer to black and white as opposed to black and yellow. Also bigger, but less angry. At least the ones by me.
I was attacked by a huge nest of white faced hornets, when I was a teenager. I wonder if it's the same thing. I think these actually were hornets, because the one that got me (thanks to my older brothers closing the front door on me, as a prank) stung me 3 times. (They were all over me, but only one got me, as I was slapping them off like I had 8 hands.)

Flamma

Reaction score
I was attacked by a huge nest of white faced hornets, when I was a teenager. I wonder if it's the same thing. I think these actually were hornets, because the one that got me (thanks to my older brothers closing the front door on me, as a prank) stung me 3 times. (They were all over me, but only one got me, as I was slapping them off like I had 8 hands.)
I'm pretty sure they are the same ones. Their face and abdomens are closer to white than yellow. Any hornet or wasp can sting you multiple times.

I'm pretty sure those fat bumble bees make ground nests.

Paper wasps are also ill tempered and described as having no regard for personal space.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm pretty sure they are the same ones. Their face and abdomens are closer to white than yellow. Any hornet or wasp can sting you multiple times.

I'm pretty sure those fat bumble bees make ground nests.

Paper wasps are also ill tempered and described as having no regard for personal space.
I always thought jellow jackets lost their stingers when they stung you, but I guess not.

To clarify, this is the yellow jacket I was referring to.
DLdybnb.jpg

And the white faced hornet.
h9pu3Cq.jpg

Flamma

Reaction score
I always thought jellow jackets lost their stingers when they stung you, but I guess not.

To clarify, this is the yellow jacket I was referring to.
DLdybnb.jpg

And the white faced hornet.
h9pu3Cq.jpg
Excellent!! That white faced hornet is exactly what I was talking about. They are considerably bigger than the yellow jackets. But they are considered a form of yellow jacket. Not a hornet. Doesn't matter, they are both jerks. The smaller one is more easily angered. Only bees lose their stinger and die after stinging you.

Creeper

Reaction score
Lucky you. I have never been so lucky. My experience has been mostly getting stung not realizing I even disturbed the nest. I had those little bleepers. They find there way into any gaps or cracks in my house and set up their nests. I blast them with wasp and hornet killers from 30 ft away and they seem to survive a couple of cans of that stuff.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going back a few years I had an odd experience with a bee or wasp ground nest. I was mowing my lawn and I went over their nest. As I started to go back in that direction, I noticed I aggravated the ground hive. They were out and about in large numbers. I tried to go into my house, but it was too late, I had many of them gathering on my body. So I ran up the block. I had them all over me. But the further I got up the block, the more of them that flew off of me. I wiped many of them off, making sure I did not kill any of them in the process. By the time I got about 3/10 of a mile away, they were all off of me. I did not get stung a single time.

I have a hard time believing these were wasps. Because they are usually jerks, and sting at a moment's notice. But for me to be covered in so many bees and not a single sting seems abnormal. Is it because I made sure not to kill any of them? Is it because I kept running away from the nest? Is this normal behavior for bees or wasps?

It was close to the end of summer, and I made sure I left them alone. As a thanks for not stinging me. Next year they weren't there.
I have no clue how you escaped with not getting stung but wasps and yellow jackets (including the white faced ones) will only defend their nest's territory to a certain distance. Their main drive is protecting their queen. The farther away you go, the more likely each bugger's instinct will kick in and pull them back inside their territory. The ones that stick with you the longest are the ones that are the most pissed off.

Flamma

Reaction score
I have no clue how you escaped with not getting stung but wasps and yellow jackets (including the white faced ones) will only defend their nest's territory to a certain distance. Their main drive is protecting their queen. The farther away you go, the more likely each bugger's instinct will kick in and pull them back inside their territory. The ones that stick with you the longest are the ones that are the most pissed off.
I'm guessing they were bees, not wasps. A yellow jacket will sting you if you look at him funny. I had dozens of bees on me. I was wiping them off of me as I was running away. Noth killing them. The further I got away, the more they flew off of me. I did not get stung a single time. That can't be wasps, right? To be honest, I haven't found a similar situation no matter where I look.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Check your County Assessor’s Office for record of any bee/wasp vs. human peace treaties.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
:laugh: Damn, that's cold. Got to love brothers! You ever get them back?