An underlying aspect of signing Carr

Ebnorice

Reaction score
Read an article today about ET possibly being signed after week 1. It mentioned the fact that Carr was brought in as vet help. Got me thinking:

We know Carr. Respect him as an organization. Know the kind of player and man that he is. Is it possible we brought him in to— yes, provide some vet depth at a thin position— but also potentially to get his take from the inside of the Balt locker room on the ET situation?

Could be interesting to see what transpires. For me, I am alright either way. If we add him after week 1, the risk is pretty minimal. He could help us for sure. That said if Big Mike wants to protect the culture then I completely respect that as well.

Anyway— just mulling on that this morning. Have a great weekend everybody and enjoy the game tomorrow! Go Cowboys!!
Is Carr even on the game day roster ? I’m pretty sure he isn’t. I don’t understand why he isn’t at least a backup.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'm not sure We needed to sign Him to canvass His opinion on ET.
I think a nice dinner and some subtle probing (of the verbal not the alien variety) would have done the trick.

Exactly, Carr signed for one million and agreed to be on one of the special Practice Squad spots that are essentially extra active roster spots.

Most fans are reacting to the fact he was overpaid in his last years here, if he had never played for Dallas in the past fans would be thrilled that we got a solid starter for a salary that is literally below the minimum.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Read an article today about ET possibly being signed after week 1. It mentioned the fact that Carr was brought in as vet help. Got me thinking:

We know Carr. Respect him as an organization. Know the kind of player and man that he is. Is it possible we brought him in to— yes, provide some vet depth at a thin position— but also potentially to get his take from the inside of the Balt locker room on the ET situation?

Could be interesting to see what transpires. For me, I am alright either way. If we add him after week 1, the risk is pretty minimal. He could help us for sure. That said if Big Mike wants to protect the culture then I completely respect that as well.

Anyway— just mulling on that this morning. Have a great weekend everybody and enjoy the game tomorrow! Go Cowboys!!

Carr was horrible when he was here. Probably one of the worst contracts in Cowboys history.

All his signing means is that the Cowboys know how bad our safeties are and they think they need help. Please just sign Thomas and be done with it.

Kaiser

Reaction score

This year the temporary rules allow teams to have four extra spots on the PS where two are active every week. Those spots don't have to be exposed to waivers so the can keep Carr there all year. Dallas could easily have placed him on active roster from the start, Carr agreed to this setup at a lower salary. Its a big bonus that he did.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I firmly believe that MM considers Carr to be a veteran presence and mentor for this young secondary, and he can still play .... good HCs make this move.

I agree but I do think Carr will be a starter soon.

I also think that if Dallas wanted ET, he would already be here. IMO the non-guaranteed salary part of the equation after Week 1 isn't really a factor. If ET was willing to take a lower salary they would just build in a lower base with incentives - like they did with Aldon Smith.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Carr loves Jerry. He'd have given him any information he wanted on Thomas. This signing is about getting quality depth and a leader in the secondary.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
This year the temporary rules allow teams to have four extra spots on the PS where two are active every week. Those spots don't have to be exposed to waivers so the can keep Carr there all year. Dallas could easily have placed him on active roster from the start, Carr agreed to this setup at a lower salary. Its a big bonus that he did.
Yep but any chance he is going to the game would be hindered if they sign ET.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yep but any chance he is going to the game would be hindered if they sign ET.

I would love to see a healthy, motivated Earl Thomas playing on a reasonable salary. But all three of those things are question marks, it sounds to me like one or more of those reasons are why no one has signed him yet.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I agree but I do think Carr will be a starter soon.

I also think that if Dallas wanted ET, he would already be here. IMO the non-guaranteed salary part of the equation after Week 1 isn't really a factor. If ET was willing to take a lower salary they would just build in a lower base with incentives - like they did with Aldon Smith.
Its going to be very interesting how we utilize this secondary, not worried at all about DL, DE, LB, that will be a hybrid.
Xavier Woods
Darian Thompson
Reggie Robinson
Donovan Wilson
Anthony Brown
Chidobe Awuzie
CJ Goodwin
Trevon Diggs
Jourdan Lewis
Daryl Worley
Brandon Carr
There is talent in the names posted above, and there will be adjustments made especially early.
Its about fitting the pieces, my point being that there is a lot of flexibility with this secondary,, Carr brings a much needed veteran presence.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I would love to see a healthy, motivated Earl Thomas playing on a reasonable salary. But all three of those things are question marks, it sounds to me like one or more of those reasons are why no one has signed him yet.
I would be very shocked if ET came home.

Loso86

Reaction score
I have not MM state that. He just said he is happy with the 80 we have. Then he promptly cut Ha Ha— which begs the question— how happy is he really with the safety position?
Exactly, what else was the HC suppose to say

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Yeah but all these coaches in the NFL are networked. They know somebody that can give them the low down. Most teams try to keep it in house but in this case it was the team that voted him off the island.

That is the biggest red flag.

Praxit

Reaction score
..interesting thoughts. For myself, ET doesn't seem like a Big Mike type of guy. That could be the hold up if any getting him. Carr is there for EX help.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They would get a better answer from Carr if they just asked him about ET without signing Carr.

At this point ET would take the job that Carr might get...

Carr wants a ring and lives in Dallas. He has made a ton of money. It was convenient for him to sign with the Cowboys.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I think it’s a great vet signing, can’t believe he’s so durable with all his consecutive starts. This is definitely the year to sneak players on the PS