Anaheim Angels add Los Angeles to name

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- Baseball's Angels have a new name, and it's a mouthful: The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

The switch, which will be challenged in court by the city of Anaheim, is intended to help the team market itself to more of Southern California, attract more advertising sponsors and broadcast revenue, the team said Monday.

``We believe that the appeal in the marketplace will be broader,'' Angels spokesman Tim Mead said.

The city of Anaheim will file a lawsuit to block the name change and hopes to obtain a temporary restraining order in place this week, city spokesman John Nicoletti said.

Anaheim officials believe the change violates the terms of the team's 33-year lease with the city.

``It's geographically confusing and absurd,'' Nicoletti said. ``No other professional sports franchise that I know of has two different cities in its names.''

When the franchise began in 1961, owned by singing cowboy Gene Autry, it was the Los Angeles Angels. The team became the California Angels when it moved to Anaheim in 1966. In 1997, when the team was controlled by The Walt Disney Co., the franchise was renamed the Anaheim Angels.

Arte Moreno bought the team in 2003, one year after it won the World Series, and he wanted to change the name.

The Angels drew 3,375,677 last season, the third-highest total in baseball behind the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...-?slug=ap-angels-namechange&prov=ap&type=lgns

--------------

that is very ******** and i hope it gets blocked

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
The new name is the stupidest thing that I have EVER heard of in professional sports.

Take about an owner (or whoever came up with the name) looking under the rug for an identity.

Just HOW does one come up with this? Was he smoking a blunt or something? California just gets wierder every time you turn around.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I heard on ESPN Radio this morning that not only is the City of Anaheim suing them for the name change, but now the City of Los Angeles is as well...

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I heard on ESPN Radio this morning that not only is the City of Anaheim suing them for the name change, but now the City of Los Angeles is as well...

yup, it is a ******** move, it that Strahan in your avtar?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
jacs said:
yup, it is a ******** move, it that Strahan in your avtar?

lol... it did look like him... I changed it again...