Analysis Please (fun)

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Just for fun....

Since there are seemingly endless experts here on all things NFL, let's hear your analysis of this pass from Dak to Zeke. Just the pass, not the line play, etc.

Fwiw, after the play, Buck said, 'Swearinger was right there on him' (on Zeke).

InTheZone

Reaction score
ball should've been out almost immediately, Dak's staring him down but maybe doesn't trust his duck passes that it'll hit zeke in time. Dak literally waits until Zeke is at the first down marker instead of getting it out as soon as Zeke cuts in. I mean the play can't get any shorter for Dak or more obvious, but 3 years in and he's still second guessing everything. Terrible all around.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
ball should've been out almost immediately, Dak's staring him down but maybe doesn't trust his duck passes that it'll hit zeke in time. Dak literally waits until Zeke is at the first down marker instead of getting it out as soon as Zeke cuts in. I mean the play can't get any shorter for Dak or more obvious, but 3 years in and he's still second guessing everything. Terrible all around.

Nope.

Next?

LovinItAll

Reaction score
care to explain?

Dak could either send a bullet as zeke is looking on his cut or lob one past the first down to help zeke clear the defender.

Yes. I'm going to post my analysis after a couple of posters give it a shot.

I just think it's interesting that the color has to be provided in ~30 seconds during the game. It's quite difficult to catch the subtlties of plays like this in real time.

For the record, I thought it was a bad pass when I saw it live. I'm not saying Dak is all world or anything... it's just one play, after all.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Yes. I'm going to post my analysis after a couple of posters give it a shot.

I just think it's interesting that the color has to be provided in ~30 seconds during the game. It's quite difficult to catch the subtlties of plays like this in real time.

For the record, I thought it was a bad pass when I saw it live. I'm not saying Dak is all world or anything... it's just one play, after all.
it's just one play because that's what you're talking about...

Dak is literally staring him down and as a QB can find a way to get him to ball quicker or even later, but Zeke was open, no doubt.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I have the stop action video if you'd like me to post it, but here's what happens on the play:

Prescott looks at Cooper first, then he looks at Gallup, who is covered. As he turns and looks at Zeke and fires the ball, Zeke is in full stride. I don't know why, but Zeke plants his feet and almost comes to a complete stop before resuming. He does this after the ball is released. He tries to move forward again, but too late, so the ball appears to be wide. Actually, had Zeke continued on his path, the pass would've hit him in stride. Zeke was the third read on this play.

A very similar circumstance occurred on the Olawale dropped pass in Indy. FWIW, Olawale caught a pass in the Washington game from which the above clip was taken.

Flamma

Reaction score
At first glance it looks like Dak should have hit Zeke immediately, but I don't know if Dak is looking at him that quickly. But if Zeke just maintains the 45 yard line instead of fading upfield it would have stood a better chance.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
At first glance it looks like Dak should have hit Zeke immediately, but I don't know if Dak is looking at him that quickly. But if Zeke just maintains the 45 yard line instead of fading upfield it would have stood a better chance.

Yes, if Zeke had been his first option, he should've gotten the ball out earlier.

It's easier to see on a large screen, but as I mentioned, he looked Cooper's way first, then he looks for the long ball to Gallup. When he turns to Zeke, he pulls the trigger almost immediately. Not sure why Zeke stutter stepped, but he did it after Dak had already let the ball go.

I guess the point is this: It's often very hard to tell exactly what happened in real time. Immediately after the play, Joe Buck commented that Swearinger was 'right there', which he wouldn't have been had Zeke continued on his path.

As you know, the Olawale play was similar. Dak certainly deserves some of the criticism he gets, while other times he doesn't, reinforcing that it's a team game with a ton of moving parts.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Yes, if Zeke had been his first option, he should've gotten the ball out earlier.

It's easier to see on a large screen, but as I mentioned, he looked Cooper's way first, then he looks for the long ball to Gallup. When he turns to Zeke, he pulls the trigger almost immediately. Not sure why Zeke stutter stepped, but he did it after Dak had already let the ball go.

I guess the point is this: It's often very hard to tell exactly what happened in real time. Immediately after the play, Joe Buck commented that Swearinger was 'right there', which he wouldn't have been had Zeke continued on his path.

As you know, the Olawale play was similar. Dak certainly deserves some of the criticism he gets, while other times he doesn't, reinforcing that it's a team game with a ton of moving parts.
maybe if Dak could read the blitz he would attack it, meaning throw it to Zeke from the get go. Most QBs that read defenses throw at the blitz because someone is usually trailing, and in this case the safety.