and like that...poof

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
...it was gone

the draft came, and went

draw a line in the sand and pick your sides gentlemen, it's in-board bickerin' time

how's that for schtick?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
i like it and i like adding picks next year.

1. Jones will practically start. He will be the primary KR and will play a ton on offense.

2. Jenkins will play a ton in the nickel and dime and may play some safety as well. Protects us if Pacman implodes, Henry is injured or we let TNew walk.

3. Bennett- Jury is out on this one. If he is strictly a backup than it is a terrible pick. Let's see how Red uses him.

4. Choice- Love this guy.

5. Orlando- say bye bye Alan Ball

6. Walden- Who is this guy?

Little worried about depth at NT, no way Ratliff moves to DE this year. And we better hope TO stays healthy.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
I love this draft.

I know a lot of people don't like the pick of Martellus Bennett but Jerry and Wade talked about that pick in the press conference. They said it gave them a TE that could be an extra red zone threat and was multi-dimensional enough that teams wouldn't be able to assume run or pass just from his inclusion in the formation. On running plays we ran out of 2 TE sets about 42% of the time. Curtis wasn't going to cut it as a blocker. As far as Fasano being let go, well we just have to assume that he didn't our vision for a backup TE. So I count Bennett as an upgrade, or I guess I at least expect him to be one.

In the first round we got two really talented players who should make an impact next year. We potentially have the best grouping of CBs in the league with Newman, Henry, Jones and Jenkins...I mean, there's some real talent there. I'm incredibly excited about Felix Jones and I think he'll be the "WOW" player we were all hoping for.

As for the late round picks, I'll take a guy like Choice on my team any day of the week. People who play with passion aren't a dime a dozen and he's exactly the kind of player we need. With Choice behind Barber and Jones we have incredible depth at RB. Scandrick is a terrific athlete who will take some time to develop, but we have that time to give him so I think it's worth taking a chance on him. I mean we had him rated as a third rounder and we drafted him in the 5th, that's value.

Then the last guy, who's name even escapes me right now...Erik something...well I don't know much about him. I do know that he's his schools all time sack leader though and he had very good workout #s, top 10 in every category for LBs, so he has talent. You can never have too many pass rushers in the 34 though and at the very least this guy should be able to bring that to the team.

Oh and picking up an extra 3rd and 4th next year? Frickin' awesome.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I'm not high on Felix Jones. I think he does well as a KR. I don't see him making an impact as a RB this year.

Jenkins and Bennett will be our best picks.

Woods

Reaction score
masomenos85;2058950 said:
I love this draft.

I know a lot of people don't like the pick of Martellus Bennett but Jerry and Wade talked about that pick in the press conference. They said it gave them a TE that could be an extra red zone threat and was multi-dimensional enough that teams wouldn't be able to assume run or pass just from his inclusion in the formation. On running plays we ran out of 2 TE sets about 42% of the time. Curtis wasn't going to cut it as a blocker. As far as Fasano being let go, well we just have to assume that he didn't our vision for a backup TE. So I count Bennett as an upgrade, or I guess I at least expect him to be one.

In the first round we got two really talented players who should make an impact next year. We potentially have the best grouping of CBs in the league with Newman, Henry, Jones and Jenkins...I mean, there's some real talent there. I'm incredibly excited about Felix Jones and I think he'll be the "WOW" player we were all hoping for.

As for the late round picks, I'll take a guy like Choice on my team any day of the week. People who play with passion aren't a dime a dozen and he's exactly the kind of player we need. With Choice behind Barber and Jones we have incredible depth at RB. Scandrick is a terrific athlete who will take some time to develop, but we have that time to give him so I think it's worth taking a chance on him. I mean we had him rated as a third rounder and we drafted him in the 5th, that's value.

Then the last guy, who's name even escapes me right now...Erik something...well I don't know much about him. I do know that he's his schools all time sack leader though and he had very good workout #s, top 10 in every category for LBs, so he has talent. You can never have too many pass rushers in the 34 though and at the very least this guy should be able to bring that to the team.

Oh and picking up an extra 3rd and 4th next year? Frickin' awesome.

I didn't know that E Walden was top 10 in every category for LBs in terms of workout numbers.

On the Ticket I think Wade said that he played with a turf toe as well and was basically playing on one leg most of the year. And even with that inury he was highly productive.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2058885 said:
...it was gone

the draft came, and went

draw a line in the sand and pick your sides gentlemen, it's in-board bickerin' time

how's that for schtick?

Not bad....bluto;)

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Jones, Jenkins and the Sunday were all great choices. Still confused about trading Fasano for a fourth and using our second to replace him, but I am hoping that training camp will help clear that up.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Added a dynamic change of pace back that can return kicks. Added a solid corner with ball skills and the ability to turn with the ball in the air. Added a freakishly athletic TE that will be a monster in the redzone, and will really free up Witten over the middle.

Wish we could've gotten a WR late, but the offseason isn't over yet. We're a 13-3 team with two visible holes, we filled both of them well.

If you guys think this years draft had a weak talent pool, wait till you see 09. More reason to package some picks for a young threat opposite T.O.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bizwah;2058960 said:
I'm not high on Felix Jones. I don't see him making an impact as a RB this year.
I seriously can't believe I just read that.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
One thing I'm starting to notice, and I whined about this at the end of the season, is that we're starting to become a fast team.

Our defense was as slow as anything, and with the coordinators talking about moving Ratliff outside and Hatcher in the starting rotation, Zach in doesn't make us faster but better, but the secondary is blazing fast (outside of RW who's still I think a deadly hitter).

Our offense took an infusion of speed also, especially with Felix taking dump off passes, or draw plays/screens and taking them to the house.

All we need to do now is package something to get a threat opposite TO, and this team will be verging on unstoppable. I'm happy I didn't study the players, I'm completey happy with our draft since I don't know who we're missing out on. :D

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Let me add one more thing. That tall TE, I can envision RedBall doing some kinky things in the red zone with this tall fella.

silver

Reaction score
me thinks we added two impact players: felix & pacman. two guys that can impact the game both on regular play and special teams. for a team that was lacking impact players that's pretty good. now if we can land an impact player at WR we'll be set. i agree with clove that got a lot faster this weekend.

Sandyf

Reaction score
I think we have to look at the draft in filling needs, getting faster and moving field position. We did all that in the draft.

1. Felix Jones gives us a dynamic kickoff return man. Did most know that he averaged 31.7 yards per kick return his sophomore year. He is the best speed we have had in the backfield since Dorsett. Has good vision and can out run anyone to the corner. Again haven't had that since Dorsett. Big hands and catches the ball out of the backfield great also can line up wide as a receiver which Julius could never do.

2. Mike Jenkins gives us a guy that will start or could start right away depending on Henry and Pacman. Newman will sign a long term deal IMO. But did anyone realize that Jenkins was also a dynamic punt returner at college also. Again field position.

3. Martellus Bennett is what IMO who Jason Garrett lobbied for at TE. Huge target especially in the red zone and great hands. Needs some training but will contribute right away. Great blocker and in two TE sets will cause the defense to single Witten. Now that is nice.

4. Tashard Choice was the best RB that Georgia Tech ever had. He is football thru and thru. He will get some carrys and will give us one of the best 3 back teams in football.

4. Pacman Jones, what needs to be said. IF he has his head on straight is one of the 5 best corners in football. Ranks right with Hester as a punt returner. IF he can stay clean, Ware and Spencer and Ellis will have a field day with sacks, can we say 90 sacks because with Jones, Newman and Jenkins not to mention Hamlin and Henry the opposing QB won't have anywhere to throw the ball.

5. Orlando is the type of CB you develop, could play some nickel as the fourth corner but he gives great speed. Would be willing to bet the CBs that make the team are Pacman, TNew, Jenkins, Ball, Orlando, Henry and if as some suggest Henry is moved to FS with Hamlin to SS then we end up with 5 CBs and 5 Safeties.

6. Eric Walden is probably a project and probably moved to OLB. If the scouts are correct about him then nice to know you Justin Rogers because he would be an upgrade skill and speed wise.

UDFA - Since we only know 3 so far, the best is Marcus Dixon and IMO he will stick and eventually take Spears place on the line at DE. Saw tape of his play and if not for the character issue (which I believe was mostly trumped up) and he would have gone to Vanderbilt, I really believe this kid would have gone 1st or 2nd round.

The WR from TT is a favorite and I hope he sticks in place of Miles Austin but it will be a challenge.

The Georgia Tech kid was rated the 16th best DE in the draft so I wonder why he wasin't drafted it.