Andrew Whitworth

rw54

Reaction score
He is showing today he is a better athlete than what was thought: 28 reps, 5.15 forty, 9 something broad jump. He 6-7 334 tough strong 4 year starter at LSU. He is a guy I hope we can get. RT for the next decade.

rw54

Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
And Peterman was our guard for the next decade

I never liked Peterman, I hated that pick to minute it was made. Peterman was a guy who got it done in college but who athletically it was going to be difficult for him to transition. Whitworth will probably be picked in the same area but IMHO will make it. He won't be great but very solid much like Mark Tunei. He is a tad top heavy but for where he will be picked he will be worth it. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

ron jeremy

Reaction score
I got a chance to watch almost every game Whitworth played at LSU. Very solid player. Better pass blocker than run blocker though. Put him at left tackle and move Flozell to right tackle.

Reaction score
ron jeremy said:
I got a chance to watch almost every game Whitworth played at LSU. Very solid player. Better pass blocker than run blocker though. Put him at left tackle and move Flozell to right tackle.

Yeah and let's begin to live life without a healthy QB too....:rolleyes:

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
ron jeremy said:

Interesting. Most have him as only a RT prospect in the pros.

Reaction score
I first saw Whitworth play his senior year in high school at West Monroe High. He was an animal then and very early you could see he had a good nasty streak. At LSU he improved every year, started every game and wears a national title ring. I would have no problem if he were the only left tackle we drafted....yes, left tackle. That was the position he started at for LSU, but he did mix in some RT early on. I think he could play either. Yes, I do think there is better in this draft, but behind D'Brick it really is a toss-up.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
rw54 said:
He is showing today he is a better athlete than what was thought: 28 reps, 5.15 forty, 9 something broad jump. He 6-7 334 tough strong 4 year starter at LSU. He is a guy I hope we can get. RT for the next decade.

I liked him until I saw him against Georgia in the SEC Championship game, and he was horrendous...he couldnt get in front of anyone and must have been responsible for at least 2 or 3 sacks that day

I wouldnt take him before the 3rd rd

David

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I liked him until I saw him against Georgia in the SEC Championship game, and he was horrendous...he couldnt get in front of anyone and must have been responsible for at least 2 or 3 sacks that day

I wouldnt take him before the 3rd rd

David

That's why you really need to see a player more than once. If you'd only seen the VA/VA Tech game, Ferguson looked like a second day pick, Tapp and others abused him.

I think Whitworth is pretty good, but I'm one of the few who don't want to see an OT drafted so I'd pass.

Bizwah

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
That's why you really need to see a player more than once. If you'd only seen the VA/VA Tech game, Ferguson looked like a second day pick, Tapp and others abused him.

I think Whitworth is pretty good, but I'm one of the few who don't want to see an OT drafted so I'd pass.

Can you please explain why.....

I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck here....I just want to know why you don't think we need an OL.

It's pretty much the consensus that our OL needs some help. Surely, you don't think we're set there. Do you think we should make a push for OL in FA?

I wouldn't be upset to see us use our whole draft on OL....well, maybe not that extreme, but we are getting pretty think there.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Can you please explain why.....

I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck here....I just want to know why you don't think we need an OL.

It's pretty much the consensus that our OL needs some help. Surely, you don't think we're set there. Do you think we should make a push for OL in FA?

I wouldn't be upset to see us use our whole draft on OL....well, maybe not that extreme, but we are getting pretty think there.

As I've said before, there's one player on the OL (Allen) whose skill set doesn't fit with the others. Until all five linemen are of the same type that fits one scheme and that's what's being run, this OL will struggle.

Bizwah

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
As I've said before, there's one player on the OL (Allen) whose skill set doesn't fit with the others. Until all five linemen are of the same type that fits one scheme and that's what's being run, this OL will struggle.

So we shouldn't look to improve the talent level at least? Are you saying we should take it on the chin on the OL until Allen retires? How can we do that without talent to replace him?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
So we shouldn't look to improve the talent level at least? Are you saying we should take it on the chin on the OL until Allen retires? How can we do that without talent to replace him?

No, I'm saying that Dallas needs to concentrate on dumping Allen and finding a replacement that meshes with the rest of the OL. Peterman may be that replacement, he may not be but Dallas' OL improves the day they pick a scheme and get the right players to run it.

The talent differences from a sheer physical ability standpoint between a mediocre OL and a dominant one is minimal at best.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I originally had him as a 3rd rounder, but he really helped himself at the combine.

Still, not in my top 5 tackles for this draft though.

1. D'Brick Ferguson
2. Eric Winston
3. Marcus McNeill
4. Jonathan Scott
5. Winston Justice

A very strong class of tackles to say the least.

neosapien23

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
No, I'm saying that Dallas needs to concentrate on dumping Allen and finding a replacement that meshes with the rest of the OL. Peterman may be that replacement, he may not be but Dallas' OL improves the day they pick a scheme and get the right players to run it.

The talent differences from a sheer physical ability standpoint between a mediocre OL and a dominant one is minimal at best.

Allen is not the player he used to be, but he is not the reason that Al Johsnon, Marco "back" Rivera, and Rob Pettitti struggled so much. We need an upgrade at center, RG, and RT. We have to draft a guard in the second because we cannot afford to cut Rivera and we can't spend more money on another guard. Dallas should sign Bentley, resign Gurode, ask Allen to take a pay cut, and trade Al Johnson for a 3rd rounder. We could then draft a guard and tackle in rounds two to three.

1. Best OLBer probably Carpenter at 18
2. Duece Lutui or best guard available
3. Andew Whitworth or best tackle available