stiletto

Reaction score
Fassel's squad ranking 2019 - 23rd
Kaczor's squad ranking 2019 - 6th

MMObserver

Reaction score

stiletto

Reaction score
Now try to imagine that Mike McCarthy absolutely preferred Brett F'in Hundley to be his backup QB over Taysom Hill (and declared everything was fine in the QB room after Rodgers got injured in game 6 of the 2017 season).

https://www.thebiglead.com/2018/08/...-where-it-needs-to-be-hundley-traded-seattle/

So are you saying we should already pan MM because of that? BTW this thread is about Special Teams...you were on topic but with this post you are going into left field.

kumizi

Reaction score
Wonder if in all that analytics mumbo jumbo ol' Mac studied up on in his Wisconsin barn included Special Teams and whether Mac has finally learned that STs are part of a head coaches responsibility?

Because Mac sure put a couple of buffoons in charge of STs in GB, first RC Slocum's kid Shawn (whose STs cost the Packers the 2014 NFC Championship game in Seattle by giving up both a fake field goal TD and then failing to follow directions and blowing an onside kick) and then all-around has been Ron Zook.

Hard to find consistently worse STs units than the Packers under Mac (ranking from Rick Gosselin):

2009 = 31st
2010 = 29th
2011 = Tied 13th
2012 = 12th
2013 = 20th
2014 = 32nd
2015 = 17th
2016 = 29th
2017 = 16th
2018 = 32nd

McCarthy ignored defense and special teams for a decade. He is a slightly better JG. I dont understand all the jumping up and down for joy.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Now try to imagine that Mike McCarthy absolutely preferred Brett F'in Hundley to be his backup QB over Taysom Hill (and declared everything was fine in the QB room after Rodgers got injured in game 6 of the 2017 season).

https://www.thebiglead.com/2018/08/...-where-it-needs-to-be-hundley-traded-seattle/
TH is not Brees backup, that is Teddy Bridgewater..besides Hill wasn't hill until he became more of A name..it wasn't overnight..Hill is the gadget player like slash , its not new concept but even SP didnt use Thill as the primary backup..maybe that changes soon but lets keep facts straight..

ITS EASY TO LOOK BACK AND USE HINDSIGHT TO SUPPORT A NARRATIVE..

let's stop trying to downplay the MM era before it starts..

stiletto

Reaction score
McCarthy ignored defense and special teams for a decade. He is a slightly better JG. I dont understand all the jumping up and down for joy.

Simple he is not the Ginger Clapper and Spitter.. This isn't hard to understand. A new prison guard is always welcomed after 10+ years......

stiletto

Reaction score

BTW if a Super Bowl win and 4 NFC Championship appearances are "slightly" better...you have really high standards and I applaud it after what we've been through for 25+ years....sheesh.

MMObserver

Reaction score
So are you saying we should already pan MM because of that? BTW this thread is about Special Teams...you were on topic but with this post you are going into left field.

I am not saying anyone should Pan MM for anything. Everyone needs to reach their own conclusions about whether this was a good, bad, or indifferent head coach selection.

I merely replied to a poster who said the Cowboys should get a Taysom Hill by pointing out that McCarthy had him in GB and chose not to use him and, as a result, Sean Payton and the Saints plucked him off the Packers' practice squad.

Then, when another poster implied that well poor Mac could not possibly have kept Hill in GB as Rodgers would not want to come off the field, I pointed out that it was McCarthy who pushed for his chosen, groomed backup QB Brett Hundley to remain on the roster over Hill as the backup QB.

Not out in left field, just stating facts about Mac's decisions in GB regarding Hill and Hundley.

Oh, and as you can read below, Mac got quite hot under the collar when the usually supine Packer press pointed out that going with Hundley may not have been his wisest decision.

conner01

Reaction score
We got a coach coming
Now need players
In the end even ST needs talent
We need a punter for sure
I’d bring in competition for forbath
We need a punt returner and I’d see if pollard can do it in camp

stiletto

Reaction score
I am not saying anyone should Pan MM for anything. Everyone needs to reach their own conclusions about whether this was a good, bad, or indifferent head coach selection.

I merely replied to a poster who said the Cowboys should get a Taysom Hill by pointing out that McCarthy had him in GB and chose not to use him and, as a result, Sean Payton and the Saints plucked him off the Packers' practice squad.

Then, when another poster implied that well poor Mac could not possibly have kept Hill in GB as Rodgers would not want to come off the field, I pointed out that it was McCarthy who pushed for his chosen, groomed backup QB Brett Hundley to remain on the roster over Hill as the backup QB.

Not out in left field, just stating facts about Mac's decisions in GB regarding Hill and Hundley.

Oh, and as you can read below, Mac got quite hot under the collar when the usually supine Packer press pointed out that going with Hundley may not have been his wisest decision.

Hey, cool man. I like your inputs here. What do you think "objectively" MM brings that Garrett didnt?

stiletto

Reaction score
Sad thing is Fassel will be hired and people will be happy with the name but a guy like Kaczor (from all I've read) is a much better coach. He put a unit of the Commanders in the Top 10 in the NFL...Enough said.....LOL

MMObserver

Reaction score
Hey, cool man. I like your inputs here. What do you think "objectively" MM brings that Garrett didnt?

IMO, the single, greatest attribute Mike McCarthy brings to the Dallas Cowboys is his demeanor.

For a franchise that is seemingly always consumed by drama, McCarthy is the perfect antidote.

For whatever other strengths and weaknesses he possesses, McCarthy is always no-nonsense. What you see from Mac is what you get.

He is not a schemer. He is not a back stabber. He is loyal (often to a fault).

McCarthy either tells it like it is or he says nothing at all. This is oftentimes a commendable trait that endears a leader to his subordinates.

Furthermore, where there is sufficient talent (and there is a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball in Dallas), having a truly genuine person in charge of the team can be enough to win a Lombardi as Mac proved in 2010. (That the Packers were loaded in 2010 cannot truly be debated and I doubt most posters here realize GB was #1 in scoring defense, yes defense not offense, in 2010 when they won the SB).

Conversely, there is a reason that Mac did not immediately get another coaching job when he was let go in early December last season (unlike Rivera this year). For example, the Jets told him he'd have to hire another OC when he interviewed there because his reputation as a play caller had suffered so badly. His agent then advised him to lay low for a year (he was still under contract with GB) and then launched the I've studied all off-season PR campaign with friendly press folks like Pelissero and Peter King.

I think the Mike McCarthy to the Dallas Cowboys move is perhaps the most fascinating coaching decision in a long time because I cannot fathom a more disparate pairing in the NFL.

stiletto

Reaction score
IMO, the single, greatest attribute Mike McCarthy brings to the Dallas Cowboys is his demeanor.

For a franchise that is seemingly always consumed by drama, McCarthy is the perfect antidote.

For whatever other strengths and weaknesses he possesses, McCarthy is always no-nonsense. What you see from Mac is what you get.

He is not a schemer. He is not a back stabber. He is loyal (often to a fault).

McCarthy either tells it like it is or he says nothing at all. This is oftentimes a commendable trait that endears a leader to his subordinates.

Furthermore, where there is sufficient talent (and there is a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball in Dallas), having a truly genuine person in charge of the team can be enough to win a Lombardi as Mac proved in 2010. (That the Packers were loaded in 2010 cannot truly be debated and I doubt most posters here realize GB was #1 in scoring defense, yes defense not offense, in 2010 when they won the SB).

Conversely, there is a reason that Mac did not immediately get another coaching job when he was let go in early December last season (unlike Rivera this year). For example, the Jets told him he'd have to hire another OC when he interviewed there because his reputation as a play caller had suffered so badly. His agent then advised him to lay low for a year (he was still under contract with GB) and then launched the I've studied all off-season PR campaign with friendly press folks like Pelissero and Peter King.

I think the Mike McCarthy to the Dallas Cowboys move is perhaps the most fascinating coaching decision in a long time because I cannot fathom a more disparate pairing in the NFL.

Great post. Thanks. Lets hope he has made some changes to his approach and also made Jerry realize he can work with someone like him. I am optimistic so far just because Jerry seems open to letting MM make his coaching moves. Also the fact that MM see's that Kellen Moore is an asset, I think that is an objective and "smart" stance.

Aven8

Reaction score
How about a blocked freaking punt for a change?? We never go for the block. I’m so glad I never have to see a JG coached team again!!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
let's stop trying to downplay the MM era before it starts..

I agree with that, but let's also put away the anointing oil as well.

I'm glad the JG era is over. Time will tell if McCarthy is a step forward or more of the same.