Another Fix this about Time of possession

dckid

Reaction score
Guys & Gals,
Look back to 2016, the Cowboys were 13-3. You know the one key stat that sticks out above all others?
Time of possession. That year the Cowboys had third highest time of possession in the league. This year they are 29th.
This equates to the Defense being on the field for 29 minutes a game vs being on the field for 34 minutes.
Yes TOP is an old stat, from the Parcells & Gibbs era but when this team has such a gaping hole on defense, the best defense is playing as little as possible on defense.

This also leads to why Mike should be the playcaller... Yes Kellen Moore can call some plays but he does not understand how to run an offense, or game plan. Big Mike won a SB calling plays. He needs to be in Kellen's ear and take some ownership or we are doomed. The division is of course winnable. Being good might be good enough to win a couple of playoff games.
See the link below:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot?date=2020-10-04

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Teams alternate possessions so looking at the total time of possession doesn't tell much. If I hold the ball for 5 minutes a drive and the defense allows the opposing offense to hold the ball for 5 minutes a drive, at the end of the game both teams will have had the ball 6 times and the TOP would be even at 30 minutes each. However, holding the ball for 5 minutes on offense is great and allowing the other offense to hold the ball for 5 minutes is horrible. (I know 5 minutes isn't realistic, just using simple math as an example)

A better way to look at time of possession is to look at the average time of possession per drive and compare that to the rest of the league. Typically the offense has been one of the best in the league and the defense has been pretty bad at contributing to the TOP battle.

This year the offense is terrible at 2:10 per drive (31st in league) and the defense has been bad, too at 2:55 per drive (21st in league).

You can find the per drive averages here:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/overall-drive-statsdef/2020

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The Cowboys are going to lose TOP every time because they have the fastest tempo in the league by a mile.

It doesn't matter if you score.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the fast tempo has clearly benefitted the offense. The defense not doing its job is just that, the defense not doing its job.

I'm not for changing and potentially screwing up the league's #1 offense in a vain effort to protect or cover up for a lousy defense.

The defense needs to dig themselves out of this hole.

And given that they will be going from facing the 3rd, 4th, and 8th ranked offenses in the league to a passing attack ranked in the 30's should be a big help.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Guys & Gals,
Look back to 2016, the Cowboys were 13-3. You know the one key stat that sticks out above all others?
Time of possession. That year the Cowboys had third highest time of possession in the league. This year they are 29th.
This equates to the Defense being on the field for 29 minutes a game vs being on the field for 34 minutes.
Yes TOP is an old stat, from the Parcells & Gibbs era but when this team has such a gaping hole on defense, the best defense is playing as little as possible on defense.

This also leads to why Mike should be the playcaller... Yes Kellen Moore can call some plays but he does not understand how to run an offense, or game plan. Big Mike won a SB calling plays. He needs to be in Kellen's ear and take some ownership or we are doomed. The division is of course winnable. Being good might be good enough to win a couple of playoff games.
See the link below:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot?date=2020-10-04
I agree. I think kellen is a coach in training for a team that's supposed to be contender...

I think the problem with TOP is that the defense is having a lot of problem getting off the field. we allow way too many first downs and 3rd down conversion on the defensive side.

dckid

Reaction score
I think the fast tempo has clearly benefitted the offense. The defense not doing its job is just that, the defense not doing its job.

I'm not for changing and potentially screwing up the league's #1 offense in a vain effort to protect or cover up for a lousy defense.

The defense needs to dig themselves out of this hole.

And given that they will be going from facing the 3rd, 4th, and 8th ranked offenses in the league to a passing attack ranked in the 30's should be a big help.
While I agree with some of the stuff you are saying regarding tempo and not letting the playclock go to zero and frantic disorganization... which is all of JG's tenure. I really believe the team needs some more balance. Get Zeke involved more, he needs 22 carries and at lease 6 catches a game. Playaction, play action... the worst kept secret in the league is playaction.
Our defense is not good enough to hold other teams it just will not happen. If we keep doing what we are doing, we are just Atlanta 700 miles to the west.
We do not have the playmakers on the 2nd and third level of defense. Remember how the Pats won the SB against the Rams?

75boyz

Reaction score
3rd down conversion really impacts TOP
Sustaining drives is a real key

Totally agree in associating 3rd downs to TOP both offensively and defensively.

Players refer to it(3rd Down) as the "Money Down".
In my opinion it is the single most important factor to winning games.
Converting on offense.
Denying on defense.

You've either got the guy(QB) who can pick up the critical game deciding 3rd downs on offense or you don't.
You've either got the edge guy(s) or generational Ts (like Sapp/Donald) on defense denying the offenses or you don't.

Kinda simple if you ask me

Go Cowboys

dckid

Reaction score
3rd down conversion really impacts TOP
Sustaining drives is a real key
Time of possession is important. But turnovers are Moreso. If the defense forced an average number of turnovers. They would be on the field less.
Turnovers almost 90% are regression driven, along with losses or wins in one possession games.
I do agree some teams are better than others. The Bears from several years ago were real ball hawks. Last year the Pats defense scored an extremely high number of points.
The Cowboys have not had a ball hawking defense since the 1992 SB season... God I can't believe I am saying that.. Remember that soo vividly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I agree with some of the stuff you are saying regarding tempo and not letting the playclock go to zero and frantic disorganization... which is all of JG's tenure. I really believe the team needs some more balance. Get Zeke involved more, he needs 22 carries and at lease 6 catches a game. Playaction, play action... the worst kept secret in the league is playaction.

I think game situations have dictated things like run/pass ratios getting skewed. They've gotten down early in virtually every game this year and I think that - in addition to Seattle shutting down Zeke and the run - have contributed to those numbers being what they are.

Our defense is not good enough to hold other teams it just will not happen. If we keep doing what we are doing, we are just Atlanta 700 miles to the west.
We do not have the playmakers on the 2nd and third level of defense. Remember how the Pats won the SB against the Rams?

The defense has a ton of its own problems, and the defensive coaches and players are required to fix them.

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
Have we even had a double-digit point lead at all this year?

When we went 13-3, we had early leads and milked teams with the running game. We’ve gotten out to such bad starts that this hasn’t even been possible yet.

Another reason why people should relax on the offense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys & Gals,

See the link below:

Time of Possession is a combined offense and defense stat.

If the defense allows the opponent to hold the ball 20 minutes per possession then the opponent will win TOP.

You have to look at TOP per possession to differentiate offense from defense.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I dont expect the tempo thing to remain....not as much as they have been using it anyway.

I think a lot of it was to keep pass rushers gassed because of our tackle situation.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Guys & Gals,

See the link below:

Mike also doesn't know the plays that Dak is used to running. They didn't install mikes offense. Mike calling plays that he doesn't fully know would be a train wreck. But he should have a bigger hand in the game plan and be more involved with play types during a game. I also think some of yall over estimate how good mike is offensively just because he had 2 HOF QB's. kellen needs help/guidance for sure but mike calling plays is not it either, not this year.

Brooksey

Reaction score
We just need to play better defense and special teams, this offense is going to score a lot and quickly. The problem is we don't have the personnel to play better defense. We lost Byron Jones and walked on the Jamal Adams trade..our secondary is horrible. Vander Esc and Lee are brittle..we got big problems.

DanA

Reaction score
You need the lead in order to slow the play down and win time in possession. We haven't been leading too much so far this season.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Guys & Gals,

See the link below:

You're not going to control TOP when you fall behind 20-0 in one game and 30-15 the next. That makes you have to be pass-happy.