Another new UK member

Skullmiester

Reaction score
lol. I used to work a lotout of the UK and went to a few Ranger celtic games...." Could you go a chicken supper Bobby Sands"!!:)

There are some fanatical soccer rivalries in the UK and Celtic Rangers is as bitter as it gets, I haven't been to one but I know from chatting to people who've experienced those games that it's manic.

Sunderland's main rival is Newcastle and derby days (as they are called when we play each other) are a roller coaster of emotions, stress and fanaticism, typically with far too much alcohol involved. Unfortunately things sometimes spill over and there can be mass disorder. For the local police it's a near military operation to get away supporters in and out of the ground without trouble. I think the worst in recent years was when we won 3-0 at their place and there was a mini riot afterwards during which a police horse was punched by one of the Newcastle supporters, absolutely crazy.

Who are the Cowboys main rivals?

haleyrules

Reaction score
There are some fanatical soccer rivalries in the UK and Celtic Rangers is as bitter as it gets, I haven't been to one but I know from chatting to people who've experienced those games that it's manic.

Sunderland's main rival is Newcastle and derby days (as they are called when we play each other) are a roller coaster of emotions, stress and fanaticism, typically with far too much alcohol involved. Unfortunately things sometimes spill over and there can be mass disorder. For the local police it's a near military operation to get away supporters in and out of the ground without trouble. I think the worst in recent years was when we won 3-0 at their place and there was a mini riot afterwards during which a police horse was punched by one of the Newcastle supporters, absolutely crazy.

I always enjoyed Newcastle Brown Ale!! I was in Newcastle just last year in fact!!
The Cowboys division rivals are NY...Washington and Philadephia. The Cowboys are very famous and EVERY team they play gets up for them. The club has no easy contests.

Londonboy

Reaction score

The once mighty Magpies managed to get Themselves relegated, so no derby days this year (that's what happens when You let a Southern softie buy Your team, I once saw Him sitting in the stands wearing an overcoat, the temperature was a balmy 4C).

p.s I live in Bermondsey, right in the heart of Millwall country.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Well it's a good job it worked out the way it did as you never know there might not have been such a thing as football :thumbup:
We'd certainly miss those great names, like Football (for a game where the ball is hardly kicked) and Touchdown (where You score by....err.....not actually touching the ball down), not to mention describing a Chap who's 6' 6" and 19 stone as a Tight End (and getting to keep both of Your teeth).

haleyrules

Reaction score
Lol very good.
When me and Mrs Skully were on honeymoon in Vegas a few years back we met an English guy who now lives in California and he told us he had a flagpole in his garden and flew the Union Jack flag on 4th July to the amusement of his neighbours in the cul-de-sac were he lived, all good fun.
lol. He should fly the Union Jack every day of the year!!

Londonboy

Reaction score
lol. He should fly the Union Jack every day of the year!!
A salty old seadog like You, should know that it's only The Union Jack, when flown at sea. On land it's the Union Flag.
Sorry to be so pedantic (who am I kidding, I'm English, I LOVE to correct foreigners).

haleyrules

Reaction score
lol. Yes. I have sailed under the Union Jack many times.;) I have even sailed under the Stars and Strips...which is very unusual...worked a job in West Africa...and the Yanks couldnt find an American crew willing to go there..lol...so they were forced to hire foreigners!!

Londonboy

Reaction score
lol. Yes. I have sailed under the Union Jack many times.;) I have even sailed under the Stars and Strips...which is very unusual...worked a job in West Africa...and the Yanks couldnt find an American crew willing to go there..lol...so they were forced to hire foreigners!!
I bet those Somali pirates saw You coming and decided to take the day off.

Skullmiester

Reaction score
I always enjoyed Newcastle Brown Ale!! I was in Newcastle just last year in fact!!
The Cowboys division rivals are NY...Washington and Philadephia. The Cowboys are very famous and EVERY team they play gets up for them. The club has no easy contests.

An ice cold glass of Brown Ale is a pretty good drink, been a while since I've had one if I'm honest, more a lager/cider/whisky man myself. Do you travel quite a bit Haleyrules?
Yeah that will make it harder, every game a derby game.

Skullmiester

Reaction score
The once mighty Magpies managed to get Themselves relegated, so no derby days this year (that's what happens when You let a Southern softie buy Your team, I once saw Him sitting in the stands wearing an overcoat, the temperature was a balmy 4C).

They are not a happy bunch, they swing from champions league in 2 years to sack the manager on a day to day basis.

I've never been to Millwall yet, do you get to the games?

haleyrules

Reaction score
An ice cold glass of Brown Ale is a pretty good drink, been a while since I've had one if I'm honest, more a lager/cider/whisky man myself. Do you travel quite a bit Haleyrules?
Yeah that will make it harder, every game a derby game.
Skully. I am an old Bushmills drunk. Enjoy the dark ales. English Cask is always heart warming. Cider..mmm. l once drank something called Scrumpy?? in either Plymouth or Portsmouth and remember waking up on a bus headed for Liverpool!!! I am a semi-retired merchant seaman and part time very poor farmer!!

Skullmiester

Reaction score
Skully. I am an old Bushmills drunk. Enjoy the dark ales. English Cask is always heart warming. Cider..mmm. l once drank something called Scrumpy?? in either Plymouth or Portsmouth and remember waking up on a bus headed for Liverpool!!! I am a semi-retired merchant seaman and part time very poor farmer!!

Lol, yes scrumpy is a very strong cider, very easy to drink but can blow your socks off. That's quite a detour mind lol.
I once ended up in Middlesbrough instead of Newcastle when I got the wrong train from York after a long day sampling the local lagers and ciders in York.
There's a cider called Cheddar Valley which I've only ever seen in the Somerset area, it's perfect for a warm sunny day but don't attempt public transport after about 5 because you won't end up where you needed to be.

I bet you have some colourful tales from your travels in the merchant navy.

My cousin was in the Royal Navy when he was younger and tells me about the time he went out for a few drinks while on leave this time and woke up on an aeroplane mid flight.

I bet the farming is hard work?

haleyrules

Reaction score
I bet those Somali pirates saw You coming and decided to take the day off.
lol. In recent years for voyages in East Africa and the entrance to the Persian Gulf the vessels all carry sucurity teams ( mostly Brit ex soldiers, Royal Marines/ SAS) very safe. West Africa also, especially entering Nigeria, that is a common port call for me. The shipping companies l have worked for are mostly Dutch and take security very seriously.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Lol, yes scrumpy is a very strong cider, very easy to drink but can blow your socks off. That's quite a detour mind lol.
I once ended up in Middlesbrough instead of Newcastle when I got the wrong train from York after a long day sampling the local lagers and ciders in York.
There's a cider called Cheddar Valley which I've only ever seen in the Somerset area, it's perfect for a warm sunny day but don't attempt public transport after about 5 because you won't end up where you needed to be.

I bet you have some colourful tales from your travels in the merchant navy.

My cousin was in the Royal Navy when he was younger and tells me about the time he went out for a few drinks while on leave this time and woke up on an aeroplane mid flight.

I bet the farming is hard work?
Well, l only drank the Scrumpy once!! Subtle and a killer. I have always enjoyed the time spent in the UK. The quality and variety of Ales is amazing. North Americans have no idea or concept of real beer.
Well, the farm..l bought it years ago in Central America ( Panama in the mountains) for something to do in retirement. Its about 22 hectares and under vegetable production. I, as you can imagine, am not a real farmer and just learn as l go along!! There are local indigenous people who actually make the farm work, more or less, and l try to learn from them. Heck, mostly l drive the truck pay the bills and stay out of the way!
I meant to ask..what do you do in jolly old England?

Skullmiester

Reaction score
Well, l only drank the Scrumpy once!! Subtle and a killer. I have always enjoyed the time spent in the UK. The quality and variety of Ales is amazing. North Americans have no idea or concept of real beer.
Well, the farm..l bought it years ago in Central America ( Panama in the mountains) for something to do in retirement. Its about 22 hectares and under vegetable production. I, as you can imagine, am not a real farmer and just learn as l go along!! There are local indigenous people who actually make the farm work, more or less, and l try to learn from them. Heck, mostly l drive the truck pay the bills and stay out of the way!
I meant to ask..what do you do in jolly old England?

Well that was a brilliant evening, bring on the Bears next week!!!

Sounds like a very interesting life you have there and a brilliant place/way to eventually retire.
I couldn't do something more different to you, I work Monday to Friday in an office managing a revenues team.
In short we collect the money that provides local services to the community.
It's a good job which I have done pretty much from school but would love to work outdoors but life takes you where it takes you.

haleyrules

Reaction score

Magpies?? Is that like a pie with maggots or is it a soccer team?? Same thing really.:)

Londonboy

Reaction score
They are not a happy bunch, they swing from champions league in 2 years to sack the manager on a day to day basis.

I've never been to Millwall yet, do you get to the games?

Haven't been for a few years, I'm a Chelsea fan Anyway (ticket prices at The Bridge are ridiculous, I refuse to pay £60+ for a 90 min game).

Skullmiester

Reaction score
Haven't been for a few years, I'm a Chelsea fan Anyway (ticket prices at The Bridge are ridiculous, I refuse to pay £60+ for a 90 min game).

Don't blame you, it's pretty scandalous what some clubs can charge now. With all the to miney rolling in you'd think prices would come down.