Another reason for drafting Connor McGovern

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Clearly didn't wanna gamble trying to find Collins replacement in 2020 draft........

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/06/m...raft-kyler-murray-daniel-jones-dwayne-haskins

5. I asked Senior Bowl chief Jim Nagy for his first impression on the 2020 class after his team’s initial study, and he came back with this: “It’s going to be thin on the offensive line.” That would help explain the OL land rush in this year’s draft—12 of the first 48 picks were offensive linemen. The logic, of course, is simple. If you know next year’s going to be wasteland, you better get your guys this year, and teams did that aggressively. Half of the aforementioned dozen were the subject of trade-ups. On the flip side, it seems plenty of other teams passed on a mediocre crop of receivers this year, waiting for an expected WR banner year in 2020 (Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy, Clemson’s Tee Higgins, Colorado’s Laviska Shenault). And that showed up in another Senior Bowl metric—Nagy said eight receivers who played in his game this year went undrafted, which was by far the highest number of any position.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Connor Mac started his first game, which was the first game oif the season for Penn State when he was 18-years old.

According to Pro Football Focus, his snap total over those three years was 2,353. He played 860 this past season, 857 in 2017 and 636 in his true freshman season. During that time he allowed nine sacks over 1,245 pass block snaps and committed 11 penalties. In 2018, four sacks and four penalties were charged to his ledger.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Clearly didn't wanna gamble trying to find Collins replacement in 2020 draft........

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/06/m...raft-kyler-murray-daniel-jones-dwayne-haskins

5. I asked Senior Bowl chief Jim Nagy for his first impression on the 2020 class after his team’s initial study, and he came back with this: “It’s going to be thin on the offensive line.” That would help explain the OL land rush in this year’s draft—12 of the first 48 picks were offensive linemen. The logic, of course, is simple. If you know next year’s going to be wasteland, you better get your guys this year, and teams did that aggressively. Half of the aforementioned dozen were the subject of trade-ups. On the flip side, it seems plenty of other teams passed on a mediocre crop of receivers this year, waiting for an expected WR banner year in 2020 (Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy, Clemson’s Tee Higgins, Colorado’s Laviska Shenault). And that showed up in another Senior Bowl metric—Nagy said eight receivers who played in his game this year went undrafted, which was by far the highest number of any position.

More of that forward thinking :)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Same with QB's in this draft, next year is a bumper crop compared to this year's. MIA traded for Rosen and then said that doesn't mean they won't draft one in this next draft. Do the same thing AZ did this year.

There are also positions that are looked at as time delayed and used to be OL was at the top of that list. I think they were a year early with Williams but that was necessity. If a team waits until they really need that position, could easily backfire.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I said before the draft that it would be smart to invest in the OL if the right player was available. As a Cowboys fan it's hard to forget that Romo started his career with a great OL that got old and too expensive really quick. Being proactive and not reactive is the only smart approach to maintaining a good to great OL.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
i didnt like the pick, but whatever. we have more than just a team to restock, we have some serious problems to contend with.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Good info.
This means L. Collins will get paid, major bucks, next FA.
Also, could see the poaching of the practice squad OL Dallas may keep like Hyatt, Knight, Campos or Puni.

The trade market on cut down to 53 day could be fruitful for DAL if some young guys step up. XSF, Looney, Fleming or Redmond may net a late round pick or player for player deal.

I can already see DAL drafting a WR n QB next year.

cowboyec

Reaction score
yeah...we're gonna like this dude.
I still say he may not wait til 2020 to start....this guy is gonna put up a heckuva fight for Connor Williams spot.....and Williams ain't gonna just step aside.
more than all the others...THIS position battle is gonna be a good'n.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
In the history of the Dallas Cowboys, this team goes as the OL goes. The great 70s team had good lines, the 90s saw the Great Wall of Dallas and then in recent years 2007, 2014, 2016- all of these teams had OLs that were the best or near the best in the league.

That's why I'm so pumped about this year.
Fred is back, no failed Alexander experiment, competition at LG and RT.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
yeah...we're gonna like this dude.
I still say he may not wait til 2020 to start....this guy is gonna put up a heckuva fight for Connor Williams spot.....and Williams ain't gonna just step aside.
more than all the others...THIS position battle is gonna be a good'n.

I'll put it this way..........Collins and/or Connor Williams better pray they stay healthy for 16 games. Miss a few and they make never see the field again for 2019 as a starter.

Flamma

Reaction score
i didnt like the pick, but whatever. we have more than just a team to restock, we have some serious problems to contend with.

Me either. But if he turns out to be a solid offensive lineman for this team my mind will change. I hate it when that position is compromised.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Good info.
This means L. Collins will get paid, major bucks, next FA.
Also, could see the poaching of the practice squad OL Dallas may keep like Hyatt, Knight, Campos or Puni.

The trade market on cut down to 53 day could be fruitful for DAL if some young guys step up. XSF, Looney, Fleming or Redmond may net a late round pick or player for player deal.

I can already see DAL drafting a WR n QB next year.

May be able to deal Collins this year too, after some draft pick doesn't look like he is panning out.

My one disappointment of the draft this year is that we didn't take another QB to compete with Rush and White. Push one off the roster. Give us another bite at the apple for a starting QB. Send Dak a message.