Another (small) Cowher rumor...

newlander

Reaction score
Granted it's just PFT but still...I've thought all along he just needed a year or so to recharge his batteries. I don't care what all the haters on this board think. The "Chin" could work here in Dallas next season. (if the injuries keep piling on, we all know deep down Wade won't survive this: fair or not so spare me any talk of him coming back because he proved BEFORE the injuries he isn't the answer)

COACH CHIN SHOWING SOME LEG TO JERRY?

Posted by Mike Florio on October 28, 2008, 11:51 a.m.
As names like Jim Haslett begin to percolate to the top of the list of names of potential head coaching candidates for the coming hiring cycle, former Steelers coach Bill Cowher could be making an effort to ensure that his name remains in circulation for any potential vacancies.
Why else would Cowher have told David Elfin of the Washington Times that Cowher was contacted by the Commanders after former coach Joe Gibbs retired in January? (At the press conference announcing Gibbs’ retirement, Commanders owner Daniel Snyder denied speaking Cowher. But it’s possible that the communications came thereafter.)
We talked,” Cowher told Elfin. “It was a good talk. I was very flattered, but I expressed that it wasn’t the right time.”
Elfin also reports that Cowher, 51, reiterated he has no plans to return to coaching. Of course, a truck full of money might make it the “right time” to reconsider.
And the man to watch in this regard is Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.
If the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs, or if they go one-and-out yet again, look for Jones to have the same kind of epiphany that prompted him to hand the keys to Bill Parcells nearly six years ago.
Jones once thought enough of Cowher to hire his offensive coordinator, Chan Gailey, to be the Cowboys’ head coach. Haslett, another member of the official Cowher coaching Chia Pet, undoubtedly got Jones’ attention nine days ago when the overmatched Rams overpowered the Cowboys.
With Cowher now available, and with Jones getting ready to christen a billion-dollar stadium, Jones’ impulsive nature could prompt him to plunk down whatever it takes to get Cowher to give it another go.
For now, it’s unknown what Jones will eventually do. From Cowher’s perspective, however, it doesn’t hurt to remind Jones and anyone else who might be looking for a new coach remembers that Cowher is still around.:starspin :bow:

Reaction score
Clearly, Florio didn't hear Cowhers criticism of Jerry Jones and how involved he is in the locker room and on the field. He thinks that HC territory, especially on the sidelines.

Had Florio heard this, he wouldn't have written this article.

Cowher and Jones have different philosophies regarding how Jerry is involved in the day to day operations of the Cowboys. And Jerry isn't going to change his ways. Not for Bill Cowher. Not for anybody.

Cowher isn't going to Dallas. End of story.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Where's the rumor? :confused:

Just looks like idle speculation from a slow news day.

Viper

Reaction score
if it ever happened, it's a move I would love.

Cowher is hardcore, yet he has a great repore with his players. I truly believe he could motivate this group of Cowboys.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Big Dakota;2381306 said:
I think Jerry has made up his mind. He believes in Red.

As do I. When we get healthy offensively we are dangerous.

Who Red brings in for defense and special teams in interesting. Campo and Houck will probably stick around, so will Sherman. But I think there will be wholesale changes outside of that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think more people visit this website than we thought.

newlander

Reaction score
You're are right Big Dakota, I was VERY bored today and saw this on another site. Stasheroo is right, not one I frequent too often.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem with it but Jerry has pretty much put backed himself into a corner with Garrett. Could he actually hire another coach and expect him to stay here in Dallas? Maybe but I doubt it. Next question is what happens to this team after getting a new HC and having to put another offensive system in with a new OC????

newlander

Reaction score
I know the whole Dom Capers thing fell through last year, doubt that would come to fruition next year with Garrett. I think it'll be interesting to see if we stick with the 3/4 defense and how that affects who we bring in.......

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
RXP;2381150 said:
Clearly, Florio didn't hear Cowhers criticism of Jerry Jones and how involved he is in the locker room and on the field. He thinks that HC territory, especially on the sidelines.

Cowher and Jones have different philosophies regarding how Jerry is involved in the day to day operations of the Cowboys. And Jerry isn't going to change his ways. Not for Bill Cowher. Not for anybody.

Cowher isn't going to Dallas. End of story.

The only thing that is clear is... if Jerry wants Cowher he will make it happen and Cowher will accept.

Big Dakota;2381306 said:
I think Jerry has made up his mind. He believes in Red.

Jerry will cut his losses with Red if he wants Cowher.

jobberone;2381492 said:
I wouldn't have a problem with it but Jerry has pretty much put backed himself into a corner with Garrett. Could he actually hire another coach and expect him to stay here in Dallas? Maybe but I doubt it. Next question is what happens to this team after getting a new HC and having to put another offensive system in with a new OC????

I could see Jerry cutting ties with Red to get Cowher in to MAKE this team perform.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
yomick

it would be supercool if you could somehow superimpose all three in the same endzone

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
First off, I am not a big Cowher fan and really dont care one way or another if he comes here. He is an intense guy and thats nice, but he also coached his team to numerous home playoff losses, and that is a big red flag in my book. I think he had 4 or 5 of them.

But for those that say there's no way Cowher would work for Jones, it seemed like an even FAR less possibility that Parcells would work for Jones, and he did.

I really dont want anothe retread. Cowher has won (er, stole) a super bowl, made money and has a long time legacy with the Steelers. IMO if he does come back its only because someone gives him a boatload of cash, and I dont want to see another of those guys here.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
YoMick;2381691 said:
The only thing that is clear is... if Jerry wants Cowher he will make it happen and Cowher will accept.

Jerry will cut his losses with Red if he wants Cowher.

I could see Jerry cutting ties with Red to get Cowher in to MAKE this team perform.

I can imagine it but the Garrett family thing with Jerry is big time. It would be very difficult for Jerry to bypass him. I think Jerry does a lot of things by emotional reasoning and I have a hard time with him cutting Red and two other family members. But he should to get Cowher and get the hell out of the way. JMO, too.

dbair1967;2381700 said:
First off, I am not a big Cowher fan and really dont care one way or another if he comes here. He is an intense guy and thats nice, but he also coached his team to numerous home playoff losses, and that is a big red flag in my book. I think he had 4 or 5 of them.

But for those that say there's no way Cowher would work for Jones, it seemed like an even FAR less possibility that Parcells would work for Jones, and he did.

I really dont want anothe retread. Cowher has won (er, stole) a super bowl, made money and has a long time legacy with the Steelers. IMO if he does come back its only because someone gives him a boatload of cash, and I dont want to see another of those guys here.

I have the same worries about Cowher. Then the next day I remember him as being a no nonsense guy that still kept his players loyal to him and who has won one SB.

I wish now we had hired Singletary. We won't get that chance again in a long time IMO. That's the kind of guy this team needs. Think he's afraid to tell Jerry to get the hell off his sideline?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jobberone;2381716 said:
I
I wish now we had hired Singletary. We won't get that chance again in a long time IMO. That's the kind of guy this team needs. Think he's afraid to tell Jerry to get the hell off his sideline?

He might, but he also might be one of those guys that cant coach his way out of a wet paperbag.

He keeps getting interviews and never gets the job. Noboy will even make him a DC. Something is missing somewhere.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
dbair1967;2381722 said:
He might, but he also might be one of those guys that cant coach his way out of a wet paperbag.

He keeps getting interviews and never gets the job. Noboy will even make him a DC. Something is missing somewhere.

Maybe so David. I wonder if we'll even get a chance to know whether he can coach or not with that team. I was happy with Wade who made the most sense. But I was intrigued with Singletary.

He must have something to have gotten as far as he did and even to get to be interim coach. I wouldn't sell him short but you're right. He's not a proven HC.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
satam55;2381769 said:
I would take Jim Haslett over Wade Phillips in a Heart beat!

believe you me, I want fire and passion in a head coach

but Haslett is an idiot too

smoovb

Reaction score
It wasnt that long ago Haslett was out in New Orleans after several crappy seasons. Granted the Ain'ts dont have a rep for being good and he has a few good games with the Rams, but all that dont mean crap. Coaching changes need to be well thought out. And IMO we have one waiting in the wings, provided someone else doesnt snag him - Garrett.