another team going 3-4? SF

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
LIFTED OFF ANOTHER BOARD - NOT SURE ON SOURCE BUT LOOKS LEGIT

Not only are the 49ers prepared to tag linebacker Julian Peterson again as their franchise player - if the sides can't work out a multiyear contract extension prior to March2 - but Nolan also suggested he is prepared to install the 3-4 defense to highlight Peterson's strengths.

"If he is our best player and he will be healthy, there is a good chance, whether just on third down or on regular downs, (the 3-4) is going to be part of our package," Nolan said. "You can count on it at least on third down being part of the package because you have to be versatile on third down."

Peterson underwent surgery to repair a torn left Achilles' tendon on Oct.12. His rehabilitation has progressed well, Peterson said recently. Beginning Feb.22, the 49ers can apply the franchise tag to Peterson, virtually assuring themselves of preventing the scheduled free agent from leaving for another team.

"I think we're prepared to do that," Nolan said.

Nolan ran the 3-4 as Baltimore Ravens' defensive coordinator. The 49ers have not used that defense as its every-down scheme since the middle of the 1993 season.

"When you're in a 4-3, it restricts good players like Julian to just pass coverage, unless you're going to blitz and put some secondary players in situations that don't fit them," Nolan said.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
A player coming off of an achilles tear is their best player??? Ouch

The trouble the 49ers got in due to their cap breaking ways and now with York being frugal....that franchise has went down hill big time.

CantonBound08

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I was thinking the exact same thing. I know Kevin Smith never was quite the same player after such a devastating injury. I cannot imagine the pain that must come with that. :eek:

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Our best player had broken his shoulder this season...