Another Tyron Smith fan

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Risen Star;4511025 said:
I feel like a homer saying it, Trick. But this guy is the real deal. What he did at 20 years old was historic, IMO. It's scary to think about a 25 year old Tyron Smith.

It's not being homerphobic, RS... I was amazed at how good he was a 20...

He was one of the best OL's in the league and he is just going to get better...

I'll give him a little sophomore break as he is moving to LT... but it won't take him long...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
trickblue;4511036 said:
It's not being homerphobic, RS... I was amazed at how good he was a 20...

He was one of the best OL's in the league and he is just going to get better...

I'll give him a little sophomore break as he is moving to LT... but it won't take him long...

Protect the QB...

I like it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Risen Star;4511030 said:
Hey may be the best player on our team the 2nd half of this season. I figure he takes a month or two to adjust to the left side and then look out.

It may not take him that long because he'll go against the best passrusher in the business every day in practice.

I hope he smashes JPP this year.

Reaction score
Risen Star;4511030 said:
Hey may be the best player on our team the 2nd half of this season. I figure he takes a month or two to adjust to the left side and then look out.

Stop it. He's a great young player, but c'mon he's nowhere near the level of Ware and Romo. In a few years he may surpass them, but definitely not this coming season.

Joshmil53

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4511011 said:
Remember when everyone was furious with the pick? Obviously it worked out great.

I wouldn't say furious, but a lot of people were upset with Ware, too.

Joshmil53

Reaction score
CATCH17;4511079 said:
It may not take him that long because he'll go against the best passrusher in the business every day in practice.

I hope he smashes JPP this year.

Don't forget Trent Cole.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
dantheman41;4510675 said:
Former bears director of college scouting was just on nfl network and said Matt Kalil is good, not great. Said Tyron Smith and Joe Thomas were both better prospects coming out with more talent

I disagree. I obviously don't get paid to make decisions like this, unlike him. But I'd say Tyron Smith had more upside, and was better as a freshman than Kalil, better as as a sophomore than Kalil was as a redshirt freshman, and better as a junior than Kalil was as a redhirt sophomore. Had Kalil came out last year he definately would've been picked towards the end of round 1, possibly round 2.

But I think 2010 Tyron Smith is a riskier prospect than 2011 Kalil. Definately more upside, but Kalil this year was a better prospect than Tyron Smith last year. But with that being said, Tyron Smith is 17 months younger and the areas that Kalil is better at (size and strength) come with age.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember when everyone was furious with the pick? Obviously it worked out great.

Not really. Lots around here loved the pick.

strongbomb3

Reaction score
CyberB0b;4510901 said:
The scary thing is that this kid is still growing.

300+ lbs of muscle

441092_display_image.jpg

I cant believe my eyes... Holy crap did i really just see what i think i saw...

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
uh no....Romo had just come off of missing games due to injury so I think the majority saw the need for Tyron

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;4511234 said:
Not really. Lots around here loved the pick.

Wasn't talking about this place. Majority of Cowboys fans I know personally were very upset with the pick because they thought we needed defensive help more than OL help.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys&LakersFan;4511279 said:
Wasn't talking about this place. Majority of Cowboys fans I know personally were very upset with the pick because they thought we needed defensive help more than OL help.

"This place" > majority of Cowboy fans you know personally

:laugh2:

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Dcowboy84;4510727 said:
Smith actually started his career at USC at RT b/c they had Charles Brown locked in at LT

when Brown left for the draft they replaced him with Kalil and kept Smith at RT for continuity.

they believed either guy could be great at either position

This...

burmafrd

Reaction score

very selective memory. Only a few numbskulls were mad at that pick; anyone with real football intelligence was cheering.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
burmafrd;4511647 said:
very selective memory. Only a few numbskulls were mad at that pick; anyone with real football intelligence was cheering.

That's my memory as well. I remember the vast majority of people thinking it was a good pick. Maybe not the most exciting, but definitely the smart choice.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Heisenberg;4511737 said:
That's my memory as well. I remember the vast majority of people thinking it was a good pick. Maybe not the most exciting, but definitely the smart choice.

Well it was also a great need cause of our loses at tackle last year. D was also a great need, as usual on this team, but last year was different than this year cause we were higher in the draft and really the draft fell to where Tyron was the best option.

I wasn't really down with the pick myself, til he showed up at the combine....his measurables and performance there were off the charts and let me know he would and should be the pick if there.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Not everyone. I applauded the pick. You build from the line back. We already have our franchise quarterback and skilled players. It was time to take an offensive lineman, especially the best one in the draft.

DFWJC

Reaction score
There were plenty of holes to fill. Less now, but there are still a lot.
I loved the pick too, but I can see why some would have liked the Houston pick. J Watt is great.

But Smith was an absolute home run! I think this year we'll see an even greater impact with him going to the left side. It should help the line all around, and certainly Tony.

Some are saying long term Smith is absolutely the better prosepct than Khalil, mainly because he's thought to be no where near his peak.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Not to be picky, but your first post asked those reading to "Remember" then it follows "when everyone was furious."

If you're asking people to remember, why would they remember something that's a part of your personal experience and not the board's collective experience?

Do you see how your statement can be easily misunderstood if that wasn't your intention?

Be that as it may, a lot of fans here supported the pick for reasons already stated.