News: Anthony Hitchens: Next Man Up for the Dallas Cowboys

CCBoy

Reaction score
Anthony Hitchens: Next Man Up for the Dallas Cowboys
http://thelandryhat.com/2016/07/03/anthony-hitchens-next-man-dallas-cowboys/

Rolling one year, incentive laden deals were a clear indication that the Dallas Cowboys knew having McClain around was a risk. A few minor bumps aside, the risk had been outweighed by the reward. But the scales have tilted, and now the team will need someone else to step into the maverick character role in the Cowboys’ defense.

Look at the linebacker statistics for 2015 and it’s headlined by Sean Lee and Rolando. Most tackles, interceptions and defended passes all led by the pair. And while Lee was sidelined in 2014, McClain dominated in defense.

Spending a second round draft pick on a linebacker on reflection would sound like a genial move by the Cowboys staff. But Jaylon Smith will be out for all of the forthcoming season. Instead the Cowboys will need some of their more perennial players like Andrew Gachkar and Kyle Wilber to be that next man up. For me, that man is Anthony Hitchens.

Anthony Hitchens

Selected by the Cowboys in the 4th round of the 2014 draft, Anthony Hitchens continues to surpass expectations...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me it is Hitchens also. Wilber is not the answer, though he has more of the size for it. Maybe Wilson or Nzeocha can step up. Nzeocha has the size next. But it's more the play and the instincts too.
Hitchens has the experience on his side. Gachkar may be able to push for this, but I need to see more of him.

I just hope they don't do too much experimenting and moving around in TC to screw it up. After a few weeks, make a decision and stick with it. Get the reps in for the front runner.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Hitchens, Damien Wilson, Nzeocha, WIlber, Gachkar. Someone needs to step up.

plymkr

Reaction score
Hitchens, I feel Hitchens will step up and hold serve. We'll be okay.
I'm more worried about our Defensive line. Who's going to step up in that group.
Hitchens has played in big games and played well. He saved the day by face guarding the Detroit tight end to win the play off game. I always have liked Hitchens

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I feel he'll have a big year. McClain has created an opportunity for him and I believe he'll fully take advantage and we'll officially move on from Ro.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I like Hitchens. He does bring a little to the table. As that goes, there is a pretty youthful group in the mix at linebacker. None of them seem to be short on wanting to mix it up...and some of them just might start to step up to the plate, and not end up as Casey-at-the-bat.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Anthony "Braidie James Jr." Hitchens

If Thornton and Crawford and keep some of the flow off Hitchens, it might not be too bad. Since he would have Lee flowing to action as well, and a strong side to stop flow.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Asthma, I'm going to enjoy watching the linebackers in about three weeks...

Yep. It's going to be interesting, for sure.

I like Hitch, of course. The guy is a smart player and will make plays off of just his film study alone. Plus he's a good athlete. He is a little small'ish for MLB but in Marinelli's defense that isn't much of a big deal. He also is only adequate in coverage, which I see as his biggest weakness.

They will probably take him out in the nickle/dime packages, so it can be worked around although it isn't ideal.

There are also 3 guys that I really like a lot who are vying for playing time. Nzeocha, Wilson, and Deon King (as an outside shot).

They have been practicing Nzeocha at MLB primarily, but I also think he might could play on the strongside. I like his athleticism and his smarts. Although some might look at him as a rookie this year because he really didn't play last year... I think he learned a lot with mental reps, in meetings and then towards the end of last year he was physically able to practice with the team. I think he's got a chance to contribute a good bit this year.

Wilson is a good player, IMO and the type of guy Marinelli likes. I see him as more of a MLB but I think he's been seeing some time on the strongside.

King is a very instinctive player but he has to be looked at as pretty much a long shot to make the 53. He is a little bit of a pet cat of mine (I have a soft spot for instinctive, athletic LB's) and I do think he might surprise. He is the kind of guy that really doesn't show up until the pads come on, so we will see how he does once the team gets to Oxnard.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yep. It's going to be interesting, for sure.

I like Hitch, of course. The guy is a smart player and will make plays off of just his film study alone. Plus he's a good athlete. He is a little small'ish for MLB but in Marinelli's defense that isn't much of a big deal. He also is only adequate in coverage, which I see as his biggest weakness.

They will probably take him out in the nickle/dime packages, so it can be worked around although it isn't ideal.

There are also 3 guys that I really like a lot who are vying for playing time. Nzeocha, Wilson, and Deon King (as an outside shot).

They have been practicing Nzeocha at MLB primarily, but I also think he might could play on the strongside. I like his athleticism and his smarts. Although some might look at him as a rookie this year because he really didn't play last year... I think he learned a lot with mental reps, in meetings and then towards the end of last year he was physically able to practice with the team. I think he's got a chance to contribute a good bit this year.

Wilson is a good player, IMO and the type of guy Marinelli likes. I see him as more of a MLB but I think he's been seeing some time on the strongside.

King is a very instinctive player but he has to be looked at as pretty much a long shot to make the 53. He is a little bit of a pet cat of mine (I have a soft spot for instinctive, athletic LB's) and I do think he might surprise. He is the kind of guy that really doesn't show up until the pads come on, so we will see how he does once the team gets to Oxnard.

Great group of observations, Asthma...thanks for the share.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Nzeocha could surprise everyone but it would be a huge jump for him to actually start. I think Hitchens will play well because of A) normal development by a third year player and B) playing the Mike exclusively and being able to focus exclusively on one position.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Nzeocha could surprise everyone but it would be a huge jump for him to actually start. I think Hitchens will play well because of A) normal development by a third year player and B) playing the Mike exclusively and being able to focus exclusively on one position.

Yeah, I think Hitchens is a natural Mike backer. He isn't as good at the other two spots as he is in the middle, IMO. I actually like him a good bit at that position.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As long as Lee's out there to direct traffic it doesn't matter but if he goes down, we're toast

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hitchens is a jack of all master of none. His true value is his ability to log quality starts at all 3 LB positions

Saying that. He is a more cerebral LB the physical specimen and seems more natural sideline to sideline than downhill. I think he fits well enough as a true Tampa 2 Mike. May not be fast or quick enough to be a threat in that deep zone, but he wont be out of position either. As a run defender you wont see the "ooooo.......ahhhhh" plays you do with McClain, and he is not likely going to be a game changer, but he should be a reliable game in game out run defender.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hitchens is a jack of all master of none. His true value is his ability to log quality starts at all 3 LB positions

Saying that. He is a more cerebral LB the physical specimen and seems more natural sideline to sideline than downhill. I think he fits well enough as a true Tampa 2 Mike. May not be fast or quick enough to be a threat in that deep zone, but he wont be out of position either. As a run defender you wont see the "ooooo.......ahhhhh" plays you do with McClain, and he is not likely going to be a game changer, but he should be a reliable game in game out run defender.

...just a stitch in time. You were a boot?

Don't worry, I turned blue at Fort Benning during Viet Nam.

I then turned armor for my last 14 years.

Having Sean Lee will help Hitchen's development, as well as Smith's. Smith to me, is the natural to end up as the MLB.