Anthony Spencer will be on 103.3...

AtlCB

Reaction score
I'm not sure when. They keep saying that he will be on today. I hope soon. I need a break from LBOH whining, because we didn't take Brady Quinn.

Reaction score
AtlCB;1481305 said:
I'm not sure when. They keep saying that he will be on today. I hope soon. I need a break from LBOH whining, because we didn't take Brady Quinn.

Does that station have internet radio for though outside of the listening market?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Nothing too exciting, to tell you the truth. Just that he's happy to be here and happy to have an opportunity. Not offended at being called a "tweener". Can't wait to get here and get started. Feels like he has a good motor and gives his all every play. Didn't realize he was the third OLB drafted by us in the last three years.

The guy sounds very professional and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. That's the main thing. He should be a solid, hardworking, trouble-free player for us for years.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1481382 said:
The guy sounds very professional and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. That's the main thing. He should be a solid, hardworking, trouble-free player for us for years.

Sounds like Greg Ellis.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1481382 said:
Nothing too exciting, to tell you the truth. Just that he's happy to be here and happy to have an opportunity. Not offended at being called a "tweener". Can't wait to get here and get started. Feels like he has a good motor and gives his all every play. Didn't realize he was the third OLB drafted by us in the last three years.

I can't understand why it's a slight to some people for a defensive end to be considered a 3-4 OLB.

I know there's the rampant perception that linebackers are less important than defensive ends, and that's certainly true in the 4-3. But as a 3-4 OLB you're essentially a DE that gets judged as a LB. When people see a LB with 8+ sacks they think he's a great linebacker, but they don't realize that as a 3-4 OLB that's what you're supposed to have. So I'd rather be an average 3-4 OLB and have people think I'm good than be an average 4-3 DE and have people think I'm bad.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1481425 said:
Just a hunch, but he'll be more than just "solid". ;)

Actually, I do too... I'm just trying to keep expectations low. :D

Really, he does remind me a little of Ellis. And he might be like that -- never spectacular like a Ware or Merriman, but very good for many years. Some don't like Ellis and consider him a huge disappointment, but I'm not in that camp.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1481477 said:
Actually, I do too... I'm just trying to keep expectations low. :D

Really, he does remind me a little of Ellis. And he might be like that -- never spectacular like a Ware or Merriman, but very good for many years. Some don't like Ellis and consider him a huge disappointment, but I'm not in that camp.

If he plays like Ellis he's a good value at 26. Those that consider Ellis a disappointment because he never played up to his #8 draft position (perennial All-Pro expectations) just need to get over it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I wonder if Spencer becomes the pass rush OLB and Ware becomes the cover guy. Last year, we really didn't use Ware in coverage a lot. Spencer really doesn't impress me all that much in space. He's just OK. Much better pass rusher. Ware, on the other hand, can cover and cover well. It's going to be interesting to see if Ware eventually becomes the cover LB.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1481526 said:
I wonder if Spencer becomes the pass rush OLB and Ware becomes the cover guy. Last year, we really didn't use Ware in coverage a lot. Spencer really doesn't impress me all that much in space. He's just OK. Much better pass rusher. Ware, on the other hand, can cover and cover well. It's going to be interesting to see if Ware eventually becomes the cover LB.
I suspect they'll both be in the backfield quite a bit. Wade blitzes close to 400 plays per season. That's well over 1/3 of the snaps.

When you count in Ware playing DE in the nickel, and him rushing by himself, I'd say more than 60% of the time he'll be rushing the QB.

Spencer probably not as much because I don't think he'll be playing the 4-3 DE role, at least not immediately.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Zimmy Lives;1481507 said:
If he plays like Ellis he's a good value at 26. Those that consider Ellis a disappointment because he never played up to his #8 draft position (perennial All-Pro expectations) just need to get over it.

#8 picks since 1990:

Chris Singleton, Antone Davis,Bob Whitfield, Willie Roaf, Sam Adams, Joey Galloway, Tim Biakubutuka, James Farrior, Ellis, David Boston, Plaxico Burress, David Terrell, our own Roy Williams, Jordan Gross, Deangelo Hall, Antrell Rolle, Donte Whitner, Jamaal Anderson

for the boneheads who think Ellis wasnt a good pick or is a bust because he was the 8th overall pick and didnt turn into an all pro or whatever, what would that make most of these guys then?

Ellis was a good pick, period.

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1481526 said:
I wonder if Spencer becomes the pass rush OLB and Ware becomes the cover guy

no, because unlike the ignorance of the previous regime, Phillips believes in allowing players to do what they do best...

Last year, we really didn't use Ware in coverage a lot.

I cant even tell you how many times I saw Ware dropping into coverage on passing downs...it happened WAY too much

Spencer really doesn't impress me all that much in space. He's just OK

well its probably because 99.9% of the time he was lined up as a down DE

Ware, on the other hand, can cover and cover well. It's going to be interesting to see if Ware eventually becomes the cover LB

it may happen some, but on obvious passing downs I doubt you'll ever see Ware dropping into coverage anymore...if Spencer and Ware are both on the field, odds are they will both be rushing the QB if its a pass

David

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1481545 said:
#8 picks since 1990:

Chris Singleton, Antone Davis,Bob Whitfield, Willie Roaf, Sam Adams, Joey Galloway, Tim Biakubutuka, James Farrior, Ellis, David Boston, Plaxico Burress, David Terrell, our own Roy Williams, Jordan Gross, Deangelo Hall, Antrell Rolle, Donte Whitner, Jamaal Anderson

for the boneheads who think Ellis wasnt a good pick or is a bust because he was the 8th overall pick and didnt turn into an all pro or whatever, what would that make most of these guys then?

David
IMO, most of the negativity or downright animosity towards Ellis has little to do with his DE play or where he was selected in the draft. Most of the sour grapes has always centered on the fact that he was drafted instead of Randy Moss. It's been almost 10 years. The unending bad vibe is becoming almost Babe Ruth like. Who knows how bad it might become if Moss wins a Super Bowl with the Patriots?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
dbair1967;1481545 said:
#8 picks since 1990:

David

Well,
Roy Williams: 4 Pro Bowls
Willie Roaf: 11 Pro Bowls and 90s All-Decade Team

Ellis is a complete bust if you compare him to Willie Roaf. So, that probably wasn't the best comparison. :D

burmafrd

Reaction score
I would have picked Ellis as well- but if I could I would have traded down. I do not think he was EVER a top 10 pick. Frankly not even a top 20. Ellis has not produced Pro Bowl stats- and a team has the right to EXPECT pro bowl production from a top 10 pick.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
burmafrd;1481599 said:
I would have picked Ellis as well- but if I could I would have traded down. I do not think he was EVER a top 10 pick. Frankly not even a top 20. Ellis has not produced Pro Bowl stats- and a team has the right to EXPECT pro bowl production from a top 10 pick.

Ellis was a solid player. He was never anything special. It's always better to have your solid players inside and exceptional players outside. (tackles vs ends)