Anti-Cancer Compound in Green Tea Identified

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=571&e=4&u=/nm/health_greentea_dc

LONDON (Reuters) - Spanish and British scientists have discovered how green tea helps to prevent certain types of cancer.

Researchers at the University of Murcia in Spain (UMU) and the John Innes Center (JIC) in Norwich, England have shown that a compound called EGCG in green tea prevents cancer cells from growing by binding to a specific enzyme.

"We have shown for the first time that EGCG, which is present in green tea at relatively high concentrations, inhibits the enzyme dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR), which is a recognized, established target for anti-cancer drugs, " Professor Roger Thorneley, of JIC, told Reuters.

"This is the first time, to our knowledge, a known target for an anti-cancer drug has been identified as being inhibited by EGCG," he added.

Green tea has about five times as much EGCG as regular tea, studies have shown. It decreased rates of certain cancers but scientists were not sure what compounds were involved or how they worked. Nor had they determined how much green tea a person would have to drink to have a beneficial effect, he said.

Thorneley said EGCG is probably just one of a number of anti-cancer mechanisms in green tea.

"We have identified this enzyme in tumour cells that EGCG targets and understand how it stops this enzyme from making DNA. This means we may be able to develop new anti-cancer drugs based on the structure of the EGCG molecule," Thorneley explained.

The scientists decided to look at ECGC after they realized its structure was similar to a cancer drug called methotrexate.

"We discovered that EGCG can kill cancer cells in the same way as methotrexate," Dr Jose Neptuno Rodriguez-Lopez, of UMU, a joint author of the research published in the journal Cancer Research.

EGCG binds strongly to DHFR, which is essential in both healthy and cancerous cells. But it does not bind as tightly as methotrexate, so its side effects on healthy cells could be less severe than those of the drug.

Thorneley said EGCG could be a lead compound for new anti-cancer drugs.

The findings could also explain why women who drink large amounts of green tea around the time they conceive and early in their pregnancy may have an increased risk of having a child with spina bifida or other neural tube disorders.

Women are advised to take supplements of folic acid because it protects against spina bifida. But large amounts of green tea could decrease the effectiveness of folic acid.

"This enzyme, (DHFR), is the one folic acid supplements are given for. Folic acid deficiency leads to neural tube development defects," Thorneley added.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
This is good news as I drink green tea daily... love the stuff... :)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me being a woman, I've actually heard that before. Problem is I don't like drinking green tea too much. I like the Arizona kind on a hot day, but that's it. Give me the reg. Lipton brew that my mom makes any day.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:
This is good news as I drink green tea daily... love the stuff... :)

The only tea, besides the normal tea, that I have had was the ginsing tea and it was nasty...to be fair it may have just been the way the person made it...tasted nasty and made me a tad hyper.

Not sure if I would like green tea or not, might give it a shot.

Does it need to be sweetened a great deal?....how does honey or lemon taste in it?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
The only tea, besides the normal tea, that I have had was the ginsing tea and it was nasty...to be fair it may have just been the way the person made it...tasted nasty and made me a tad hyper.

Does it need to be sweetened a great deal?....how does honey or lemon taste in it?

You can find it in any grocery store... usually "Celestial Seasonings"...

Personally I can't stand sweet tea... so I drink it straight...

Green tea comes flavored with mint, orange, apple cinnamon, peppermint... the list is endless... so you may not have to sweeten it...

The other good thing is that almost any green tea you drink will be decaff...

Have Mrs. Paint pick up 2 or 3 different boxes... it is pretty cheap...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:

Tastes the same to me, but then I've only bought pre-sweetened green tea. It doesn't have as much of an aftertaste as reg. tea I think. I don't have as much dry-mouth after drinking alot of it as I do with reg. tea. Problem is I luv reg. tea, so I drink it more. But green tea is not bad. I also like red zinger too, but that stuff is sweet.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

I work at Starbucks - we sell Tazo brand tea. Pretty good (though Celestial Seasonings is a good competitor). You want to make sure that you get either a) straight tea leaves - they always make the best tea, no contest.
b) bags with the biggest chunks possible. Lipton and Nestea brands don't work well - they are usually "dust", the nastiest tea you will find.

I would suggest, as far as Tazo, Lotus tea. It is a green tea with a real good flavor. China Green Tips is good too, but Lotus is decaffeinated.

If you go for a Celestial Seasonings brand, I would suggest mint.

One thing to note though - teas like "mint" don't ALWAYS mean green tea. Green tea is made from the same leaves as black tea, but the drying out process is different. Most mint teas are just mint leaves, with no actual tea leaves. Just an FYI.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
I work at Starbucks - we sell Tazo brand tea. Pretty good (though Celestial Seasonings is a good competitor). You want to make sure that you get either a) straight tea leaves - they always make the best tea, no contest.
b) bags with the biggest chunks possible. Lipton and Nestea brands don't work well - they are usually "dust", the nastiest tea you will find.

I would suggest, as far as Tazo, Lotus tea. It is a green tea with a real good flavor. China Green Tips is good too, but Lotus is decaffeinated.

If you go for a Celestial Seasonings brand, I would suggest mint.

One thing to note though - teas like "mint" don't ALWAYS mean green tea. Green tea is made from the same leaves as black tea, but the drying out process is different. Most mint teas are just mint leaves, with no actual tea leaves. Just an FYI.

Thanks for the info. :cool: