Anttaj Hawthorne ?

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Anyone see him play this preseason? He was projected as a high Draft pick but fell in the draft big time. He has the size 6'3 305 anyone have a clue what happened to this guy? He looked so promissing big play potiental. now the normal could he fit in the 34 NT position and would we have any intrest in him. I think we showed intrest in him before the draft why not now????

Woods

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Anyone see him play this preseason? He was projected as a high Draft pick but fell in the draft big time. He has the size 6'3 305 anyone have a clue what happened to this guy? He looked so promissing big play potiental. now the normal could he fit in the 34 NT position and would we have any intrest in him. I think we showed intrest in him before the draft why not now????

If I remember correctly, there was a drug problem (i.e., positive test), which caused him to tank during the Draft.

playit12

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:

I have to throw myself in on the list of guys that was completely wrong on this kid. In the way pre-draft I wanted him at the end of the first.

But...

He fell because he tested positive for Weed at the combine and teams were generally unimpressed with his dedication and effort. Anyone that can't stop smoking long enough to get ready for the combine, when they know they are going to get drug tested, is either an idiot or an addict. Either way...

50cent

Reaction score
We have an eight man defensive line rotation with 4/5 guys that can play both DT and DE (Spears, Glover, Ratliff, Johnson, and Canty). What sense would it make to bring a lazy fat butt that dropped out of the first due to weed smoking (if I remember correctly)?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I seem to recall something about an attitude probelm on top of the weed thing. Probably something to do with his work ethic and being lazy as someone mentioned. I forget who drafted him but it was a much later round than early projections. BTW anyone who was wanting him was not alone; early on I was calling for him in the second round but I pulled out on him after the Combine.

Has he been released?

jksmith269

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I seem to recall something about an attitude probelm on top of the weed thing. Probably something to do with his work ethic and being lazy as someone mentioned. I forget who drafted him but it was a much later round than early projections. BTW anyone who was wanting him was not alone; early on I was calling for him in the second round but I pulled out on him after the Combine.

Has he been released?
Released by the Raiders yesterday. I'm sure someone will pick him up.

He does have baggage I was just wondering if he where an option. I keep reading and hearing here we are undersized at DT other than Ferggie.
He does have upside. He's young, has the size, ability, and potiential. But he also has the negatives.

I'm just wondering if BP could straighten him out?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He worked out with some DL coach pre-draft and basically just quit midway through. He got a rep as soft and lazy which was amplified by a failed drug test.

The Raiders take on more "characters" than anyone so this guy must have been severely lacking in the ability/skill aspect.

Like Clarett these guys might need a year away from the game to get their head right then go on to NFLE for a season to gain a respect for working for a paycheck. I think both guys feel they deserve a living off of their god-given but undeveloped skills.

I'd be all for signing him after the season to go to NFLE for us but not before then.

dwmyers

Reaction score
I recall Antaaj in the Senior Bowl and it seemed as if he played hard for a bit and then didn't. I think he has endurance issues. The DC for the Raiders is one of Buddy Ryan's sons. It's not as if he was getting exposed to wretched coaching.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I watched him play and he provided good push on Wisconsin.

However, he seems to have really fallen and with the deep DL that Dallas has now, I don't that he is worth a look. PS maybe, but I doubt BP takes on a guy like him.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
it's funny this thread was brought up. i was just looking through an older draft magazine about a week ago and was reading about hawthorne...i really thought he was gonna be a good player....as far as bringing him in here, i don't care to see him with a star on his helmet..

ghst187

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Released by the Raiders yesterday. I'm sure someone will pick him up.

He does have baggage I was just wondering if he where an option. I keep reading and hearing here we are undersized at DT other than Ferggie.
He does have upside. He's young, has the size, ability, and potiential. But he also has the negatives.

I'm just wondering if BP could straighten him out?

WOW, pre-combine this guy was #1 rated DT and many talking top 15 pick.
Got busted for weed before the draft, fell to the 6th round and who else but the Raiders take him.
I saw him at UW and heard all the hype, also on his teammate Erasmus. Both failed to impress me in a mighty way. Antajj was lazy and wasn't a plugger nor did he get upfield that much. The bowl game against Georgia, both Erasmus and Antajj should've been taking notes from David Pollack, who had a ton of stats and influencing plays while they did next to nothing.

Antajj, just another dude with a ton of talent and potential, but lacking the discipline. Dime a dozen these guys. They have no place in Dallas and neither will Antajj.

Jon

Reaction score
Raiders | Hawthorne Signed to Practice Squad
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:11:23 -0700

Raiders.com reports the Oakland Raiders signed free agent DL Anttaj Hawthorne (Raiders) to their practice squad.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jon said:
Raiders | Hawthorne Signed to Practice Squad
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:11:23 -0700

Raiders.com reports the Oakland Raiders signed free agent DL Anttaj Hawthorne (Raiders) to their practice squad.
Good. The conversation can end right there. No way he wears a Star.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
He was hyped by some here big. The bubble has burst.

So glad Parcells/Ireland are bringin in the right characters.

jksmith269

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Good. The conversation can end right there. No way he wears a Star.
A player on a ps can be signed by anyone at any time with no compensation to the team the player came from.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
no way this team signs a guy of that bad character, he is a busto and cut first camp????? -

no thanks