Any Concerns about Mike Nolan as Defensive Coordinator

John813

Reaction score
As repeated on here before, I watched a Nolan run defense for 2 years when he was in Miami. Back then, he was really aggressive and it worked, but he would go conservative at the weirdest times and it usually backfired.

Say for 2-3 quarters the defense is just blitzing, effectively. Then the 4th quarter they would just let up. And it wouldn't be all on the players. It just felt like the playcalling went from kill to prevent. Looking back on it, that defense lineup was underrated. Paul Soliai was a beast at NT. Langford and Starks were good 3-4 DEs. Cameron Wake, Dansby were great/good LBs and Vontae Davis/Sean Smith was an underrated CB duo ultimately broken up by Jeff Bozo Ireland.

Now, Miami was in the sea of mediocre at that point too, so it's not like he was blowing games with a Marino led offense. They struggled too at times, and cost the team games.

Would he get buzzed from the HC to play it safe? Dunno. But always felt it was odd.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He upgraded the DT and DE. The line should be better. That will improve the int. Make a QB throw quick.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I am open minded about Nolan's hiring and will take a wait and see approach. Let's see if he can do a better job that what we have seen with Marinelli over the last few seasons with similar talent. Press man coverage, more aggressive front, game specific defenses gets me intrigued about the possibilities.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I have my concerns about Nolan, but I'm willing to give him a clean slate early on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm still trying to get a track on new Defensive Coordinator Mike Nolan and his past record, pattern, what failed him and what made him successful as a DC.
And what " should " make him a successful DC here with the Cowboys.

As much as it is hyped and talked about the explosive offense, i truly believe our success to the SB will ride on what we produce on Defense.
I'm one of those old schoolers that believe defense decides the wins in SB championships .

Look back at the chances we've had in the playoffs - and it seems every time, every playoff game you can think of we have got butt -kicked outta the playoffs because of the failings of the defense
Green Bay,.. Vikes,.. Rams

And how many DC's have we gone through now ? Brian Stuart ..Wade Phillips..Rob Ryan.. ..Monte Kiffin ... Rod Marinell,... Kris Richard ... and now it's Mike Nolan's turn.

What will Mike Nolan bring here anew...vs the past failed DC's ?

Here were some of the teams and years of Nolan's stints as DC:

NYGiants 1993

Washington 1997

NYJets 2000

Ravens 2002

Denver 2009

Miami 2010

ATL 2012

The majority of my optimism comes from change. The fact that it won't be Rod Marinelli and his rigid, unimaginative schemes anymore. If from nothing more, the Cowboys defense will benefit from the fact that opponents won't know everything we're going to do before we do it the way they did for the past several years.

Unproven quarterbacks won't be easily reading and dissecting basic schemes and coverages and shredding our secondary. And they will actually have to worry about where a blitz might be coming from as well.

But in looking at McCarthy's tenure in Green Bay, he seldom had a top defensive unit, and the Packers were usually in the bottom third of the league for points allowed. It wasn't until he brought in Dom Capers that the defense improved enough and then he won a Super Bowl.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a fan of Nolan’s. He’s washed up.

He’s big buddies with Mike. That’s how he got the job. Just like Philbin.

We also have problems at LB, DB, and the S position coaches. Harris has potential, but he was fired after the meltdown in KC a few seasons ago in the playoffs.

Edwards and Tomsula have their work cutout for them.

How did you feel about a college coach in 1989 bringing in all his college buddies to help him coach?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm still trying to get a track on new Defensive Coordinator Mike Nolan and his past record, pattern, what failed him and what made him successful as a DC.
And what " should " make him a successful DC here with the Cowboys.

As much as it is hyped and talked about the explosive offense, i truly believe our success to the SB will ride on what we produce on Defense.
I'm one of those old schoolers that believe defense decides the wins in SB championships .

Look back at the chances we've had in the playoffs - and it seems every time, every playoff game you can think of we have got butt -kicked outta the playoffs because of the failings of the defense
Green Bay,.. Vikes,.. Rams

And how many DC's have we gone through now ? Brian Stuart ..Wade Phillips..Rob Ryan.. ..Monte Kiffin ... Rod Marinell,... Kris Richard ... and now it's Mike Nolan's turn.

What will Mike Nolan bring here anew...vs the past failed DC's ?

Here were some of the teams and years of Nolan's stints as DC:

NYGiants 1993

Washington 1997

NYJets 2000

Ravens 2002

Denver 2009

Miami 2010

ATL 2012

um lets see

HOW ABOUT WE GIVE HIM 16 GAMES AND THEN JUDGE..SMH

blueblood70

Reaction score
How did you feel about a college coach in 1989 bringing in all his college buddies to help him coach?
OUTRAGE !LANDRY FIRED THIS COCKY EGOSTICAL ARKANSAS *******, HOW COULD HE..?!

oh wait 3 SB wins, i more then the old regime and bailed out a near bankrupt failing franchise and now its the most valuable..exactly prejudging trying to use past stats with 100% different payers and teams era etec etc..its futile

75boyz

Reaction score
Not a fan of Nolan’s. He’s washed up.

He’s big buddies with Mike. That’s how he got the job. Just like Philbin.

We also have problems at LB, DB, and the S position coaches. Harris has potential, but he was fired after the meltdown in KC a few seasons ago in the playoffs.

Edwards and Tomsula have their work cutout for them.

Agree. And from a macro level, head coaches are overall responsible for all 3 phases of their team whether offense, defense or special teams. With that being said, there was another poster with a whole bunch of McCarthy backed data who used to post here on how poorly McCarthy coached teams had played defense in the playoffs.
As I usually point to patterns, this was not a good one.
It didn't matter who his coordinator was actually. As a head coach, historically again, there is a strong pattern of poorly performing defenses.
I'm open minded to change as are most but Nolan to Marinelli is no big improvement in my eyes and more like more of the same.
Just another opinion, lol.

Johnny23

Reaction score
I was nine years old. I didn't care. But felt odd not seeing coach Landry. It was a rocky start in 89 and 90 though 8-24 start wasn't inspiring but they really righted the ship.

I am going to give Nolan a chance and reserve judgment.

slick325

Reaction score
Yes. The high of Marinelli leaving has worn off and we're realizing Nolan is pretty mediocre.

Lol...I think is the exact feeling some are having. More will have the same feeling if there is a 2020 season.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Change was needed that much we know for sure. Time will tell on Nolan but at this point I have no issues with the hire. Just glad the rest of the D staff is gone.

quickccc

Reaction score
The majority of my optimism comes from change. The fact that it won't be Rod Marinelli and his rigid, unimaginative schemes anymore. If from nothing more, the Cowboys defense will benefit from the fact that opponents won't know everything we're going to do before we do it the way they did for the past several years.

Unproven quarterbacks won't be easily reading and dissecting basic schemes and coverages and shredding our secondary. And they will actually have to worry about where a blitz might be coming from as well.

But in looking at McCarthy's tenure in Green Bay, he seldom had a top defensive unit, and the Packers were usually in the bottom third of the league for points allowed. It wasn't until he brought in Dom Capers that the defense improved enough and then he won a Super Bowl.

And even when they had DC Dom Capers, and won a SB, the Packers were dead last in NFL in total yards allowed, but yet No.1 in Takeaway-Turnovers...

Unfortunately two things happened while still under the MM regime:
1) the Dom Capers defense never improved and seem to get worse
2) McCarthy took way too long in finally stepping up to replace Capers, could this have been too

Much is talked about the rift between McCarthy vs Rodgers, but having/maintaining a whimpy defense also contributed in the
downfall of MM in Green Bay.
And goes with saying again.. i couldn't wait to get Marinelli outta here. :confused: