Any fans of the lil ole band from Texas?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, one of my favorite concerts was ZZ Top at the Warehouse in New Orleans after Tres Hombres was released. Frank Beard did not stop pounding the skins for a full 45 minutes to open that show. One of my oldest friends and former boss grew up on the same street as Billy Gibbons and they used to jam in their garage and provide the neighbors with a keg for allowing them to make some noise.

I loved them even after the MTV move because I would have done the same thing and they did provide some lovely ladies to ogle.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I'm a huge ZZTop fan, including Eliminator. :)

I have ZZ Top's The Very Baddest (dual cd release) in my thumb drive playlist in my car.

What is wrong with Eliminator anyhow? I recall an interview with Billy Gibbons talking about he was in NYC and walked into a bar. While at the bar, a gentleman walked up to him and said there was someone at the back table that would like his company.

Billy walked back there and it was Prince. He said they talked extensively about guitar and he said he was blown away because Prince knew every song in the Eliminator album and discussed how they were played.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm a huge ZZTop fan, including Eliminator. :)

I have ZZ Top's The Very Baddest (dual cd release) in my thumb drive playlist in my car.

What is wrong with Eliminator anyhow? I recall an interview with Billy Gibbons talking about he was in NYC and walked into a bar. While at the bar, a gentleman walked up to him and said there was someone at the back table that would like his company.

Billy walked back there and it was Prince. He said they talked extensively about guitar and he said he was blown away because Prince knew every song in the Eliminator album and discussed how they were played.
Eliminator to me is one of the few (and possibly best) examples of a band updating their sound and actually having it work. Cool blues jams for the Miami Vice era. However I can see how a long time fan may be put off however. Myself, I was very young when that was big, and that record was one of my first exposures to rock music

IMO Eliminator is one of the most notable records of that decade. GNR was probably the first rock band I was a fan of, and alot of the swagger in their music that made them famous reminrem me of Eliminator